My mom demanded I take my gun off!

This is a discussion on My mom demanded I take my gun off! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your mom needs to know that crazies don't skip dance studios. They might even target them, being jealous of all the dances THEY never had! ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My mom demanded I take my gun off!

Your mom needs to know that crazies don't skip dance studios. They might even target them, being jealous of all the dances THEY never had!

You never know when something is going to happen!

And on another note:

I must say some of the fondest memories of any girls Ive dated have been our first dance together.

Sometimes it was more of a romantic dance, sometimes it was more of a lusty/passionate dance... But I will tell you what, always one of the best experiences is dancing with a woman.

Us NOVA people? Oh man. We need to conceal carry the most! Lived in Northern VA my whole life. Migrating from city to city a bit, but always in a 50mile radius probably. Tell you, its getting crazier by the minute.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Good test that you passed.

Now if I went to that dance studio...the women would have their hands all over me (who could blame them really) so I probably could not have got away with it.
    You could always have smartcarried
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Think prime time would pick up "Concealed Carrying with the Stars"?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

jfl
    My Mom never knew I carried; she probably knows now, looking from above.

Don't ask, don't tell, nobody needs to know.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

always carry and expect the unexpected.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Those of us in the rest of the state have heard that about you NoVA people!!
    Yeah!
    Actually, to date, I've done more gun-related business with NoVa people than with people in any other part of the Commonwealth.

Also, my mother HATES guns. They're "evil things" to her and she thinks they are a total waste of money. She used to be very opposed to my even having them in my parents' house. My dad said it was his house too and he didn't care I had anything around. I was already out of the house, but we worked on her enough that she doesn't care if I OC around their house anymore. I think she may just be in lala land, but whatever. She doesn't say anything to me at my house because, well, it's my house. I can have four pistols out on my table for cleaning and she doesn't care. Before, she'd have made a Federal case out of it.

If you're pop can help you, you might be able to whittle on her irrational fear of guns. I know my mother witnessed some gun violence when she was a kid growing up in Jersey City and that's where her fears come from. My dad grew up in SINY and was similar in his view, both were fearful of firearms out of ignorance. When I got my first centerfire pistol, he thought I needed to register the gun and get a permit even to own it. I bought him a book on Virginia gun laws and he read it and now understands CC laws. He wants to get an HD gun, but of course, Mom stands in the way of that...
    Someday...
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

why was such a big deal for you to take the piece off?? I mean c'mon the STUDIO. Ok I understand how many of us wants to carry it every where for protection and such. but being paranoid is tooo much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Ok I understand how many of us wants to carry it every where for protection and such. but being paranoid is tooo much.
    What is so different on the street where mom lives, versus any other street? Or, the streets taken coming to or from mom's neighborhood? Or, is mom's neighborhood, home and dining room particularly blessed in some way that repels crime?

Paranoia?? When preparations are based on probabilities, and the probability is little different at mom's place than anywhere else, it's not irrational to appreciate the simplicity.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

NO, but the chances are slicker.

Ok, it's like this: when you go on the plane you know that the chances are slick that the plane will crash, but there is still a chance. And yet you still go on that plane right, why??? because the chances are small. I mean you don't take a parachute with you when you go on the plane, then why would you carry a gun in your moms dining room.???

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    ... chances are slick that the plane will crash, but there is still a chance. And yet you still go on that plane right, why??? because the chances are small.
    I don't fly. And, with flights, chances are improving all the time. Whereas, my mother still lives in a crappy neighborhood.

The issue isn't "dining room," as such. It's being out and about in a world where criminals don't alter the percentages merely because one desires to have dinner with mom. The point being, if it's worthwhile being armed going to the grocery store across town, to the park on the fringes of town, to the hiking trail in the forest, or across the square to the mall, or to friends' homes wherever, then it's just as reasonable and worthwhile being armed on a trip to mom's home.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

yes, indeed: groceries, parks, crappy mothers neighborhoods... and so on. But, carry it while dancing in studio??? I MEAN MIGHT AS WELL TAKE A SHOWER WITH IT.

I guess I'm lucky in ways. If my mom ever found out I WASN'T armed she'd probably feel my forehead and ask if I was feeling alright.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Yeah, I mean the dance studio is nothing like having dinner at Wendy's with the family...

At Wendy's you are a stationary target, and dancing you are a moving target!

Violence knows no boundaries. Let's see... He ends up dancing with someonen's lady that is extremely ticked she went to this studio kknowing full well she would be dancing with other men... The BG decides he will 'show her' and comes with a gun...

Yep, that will never happen. And Wendy's will always be safe.

Yeeeaah, I am buying a parachute, I am taking a shower with my gun, I am carrying at work because I am scared that some one might come to work ticked off and start blasting with a machine gun... ohh and don't forget the beach, so much can happened at the beach, god forbid if I go swimming without a gun.

This is too much, there are boundaries to a certain extent and judgment calls.

We all draw our lines in the sand in different locations.

Many of us have decided that we are going to carry 100% of the time. Bad things happen everywhere (Church, Wendy's, mom's dining room, etc.)...so we are always prepared.

Best to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Besides, it's a pain evaluating where you're going to decide if you're going to bring your gun along. It's best to always know where it is, I'd hate to reach for it and it not be there.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links