My mom demanded I take my gun off!

This is a discussion on My mom demanded I take my gun off! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my parents invited my wife and I to come to a dance studio to learn some basic dances the foxtrot, waltz, rockstep and another ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My mom demanded I take my gun off!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

My mom demanded I take my gun off!

So my parents invited my wife and I to come to a dance studio to learn some basic dances the foxtrot, waltz, rockstep and another fast dance I can't remember, in Alexandria Virginia, a good little league pitcher could hit the District of columbia from Alexandria. She knows I carry, my dad is one of those carry when he thinks he should people. Anyway in the car about 2 miles from the dance studio my mom said....

"I opened the glove box so you can put your gun in".

I responded "Thanks mom but I'm not taking my gun off"

She turned around and said "YOU ARE NOT TAKING YOUR GUN INTO THE STUDIO"

I simple said "Sorry mom but I am"

"That is so WRONG" she said

"Why is it Wrong" I said

"Because its against the La......"

She saw me pipe up and before she could finish the word law she stopped.

The conversation ended.

I didn't push it but I made it a point to dance with almost every woman in the studio. My wife is a dancer and she wanted to dance with the instructors because well I SUCK! I'm a fast learner but she wanted to do some advanced turns. BTW GUYs there was about 40-50 people in the studio and the break up was like 15 guys to 35 women. I litterly got swarmed every time I tried to take a break and sit down for a break. I asked a lot of the women what they did for a living 2 of them worked for the FBI and I think another one might have actually been a cop. I was carrying a G17 in an MTAC with a spare mag on the week side. I danced with probably 20 women and none of them had a clue I had a gun.

After 1 an half hours of dancing we left and my mom didn't bring up the gun thing until we got home where she said did you really have it on the whole time and nobody noticed. " I said "not one of those ladies even had a clue". Her demeanor changed after that I think for the positive.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Good job... concealed is an artform.

But, be careful..... When Momma ain't happy.......
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Yeah...my mom tried that with me when she came to visit...to the point where she told me it made the kids (i.e. my kids) nervous. I asked my wife if this was true--she did not believe so and thought mom was projecting. I'm teaching my kids responsible gun ownership. After I spoke with my mom, she no longer brought it up--I carry where legal...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Administrator

Thumbs up

Good test that you passed.

Now if I went to that dance studio...the women would have their hands all over me (who could blame them really) so I probably could not have got away with it.

I agree with you. My mom has receintly got weird on me about CC.

She does not like the way I CC (with one in the chamber) but I though about it (with a little help from the forum) and I now believe she just does not like peole to CC.

She took aim at the way I CC, because she can't agrue the CC issue (to many people in the family CC).

IDK, at this point, I'm done with the confrontation. I just do what I'm going to do and let her speak her mind. I just don't want to fight.

I never had a problem with my Mom. I wasn't raised with guns in the family, but I qualified first time out, shooting a .38, when I was 18. Didn't own a gun until I was 21. I guess over the years she just got used to it and has never said a word.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Your family's security isn't being taken care of by your mother. Your own security measures aren't up to her, and she knows it. She should do a bit of investigation about "the law" she believes exists to deny you the right to defend your family. That's about all that can be said on the subject.

Always carry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Good job on carrying concealed in the fact that no one noticed. My wife and I used to teach dance, I can imagine how easy it would be for your partner to notice a concealed gun. I'm amazed no one did.....good job.

When I was growing up at home, I remember my mother having an aversion to handguns. We had rifles and shotguns in the house, but handguns really bothered her. BTW she didn't have any past bad experience with any gun, but she said she "couldn't stand how they (handguns) looked".

My wife doesn't mind handguns at all, in fact she has one she carries. But she can't stand how a rat/mouse looks. It freaks her out, and I know it is the same for other women too. I've asked my wife about that and she can't quite explain it so I can understand where she's coming from.

My point is not to start a gender war, but to try and understand something about some women and handguns. I've read other similar stories on this very forum. Anyone have any ideas? Understanding this would help us help them cope with it.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Yea, I don't like it when people tell you it's wrong to carry in this place or that place but it's OK in others(not talking about any illegal places).
    They somehow think you'll know when to carry and when not to. If it was that easy, there wouldn't be any successful crimes as everyone would know when a criminal strikes.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

VIP Member
    Swarmed by women eh? I'll be right over. :) Nice job with the mtac.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I don't think you mom has a problem with you carrying - generally. I think she was more afraid of someone putting their hand on your hips and finding it and causing a scene. For some reason the older generation seems to think that when you do something stupid it reflects badly on them. Go figure?!?
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

I believe your mom was more scared of people finding out her boy carries a gun at dance class and being embarassed by it. I think.....

My wife dosn't care much for handguns........much the same as my mother dosn't like 'em much either. My wife was never exposed to guns much in her life so her fear is based in lack of knowledge. My mother however, she was raised around guns. rifles and scattergun mostly and nobody really 'carried' in my family. My grandparents were 'country folk' of the greatest generation and guns were just another aspect of life, much the same how I was raised. But even back then, it seems, handguns were 'somewhat' taboo.

Bless my mom's heart, she dosn't give me a hard time about it and accepts that I carry, even around her. She's had to witness and/or hear the 'bad stories' from friends who were victims, and hurricane Katrina was the 'event' that altered her point of view on GG'swith guns keeping the BG's out of the "herd's pasture".

The women in my life, including my teen daughters, just are not gun individuals.
    Collectively though, they like and appreciate that someone trusted in thier lives has the means to protect them (I think.....Women are far more complicated than my somewhat simple, male mind can figure out) AND the knowledge of 'guns' in general. I pressure none of my girls to shoot or carry but encourage them to tag along every chance I get. Thier intrested, but it's not a priority for them.

Oh well, I love 'em anyway. God Bless all the women in our lives that love, need, and depend on us.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I would definitely need a gun in a dance studio - to blow my brains out.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'm with actimmy on this one. Don't think I'd consider "blowing my brains out" after recieving THAT much attention. {DancingGuy}
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    DANG! My secret is out! I've danced for more than 20 years, and learned long ago that because so few men do dance, there are always far more women in dance halls than men. So, let me take this opportunity to thank all the men out there who don't dance!

I'm older now, but when I was younger I, too, was swarmed by women who wanted to dance. Being able to dance is definitely a secret weapon you want in your arsenal (I once had a woman tell me that dancing all night was like "hours of foreplay." I think that was my motivation to polish my skills. )

I can't carry in the dance halls I frequent, because they serve alcohol, but I doubt I could keep partners from noticing any strong-side carry, even with a tuckable holster. I also understand your mom's concern -- remember concealed is concealed and we generally don't want unfamiliar people to know we are armed. If you choose to continue with dance lessons and progress to different dances and moves, you could easily be "outed." There are many moves where your partner will drag a hand across your waist, and they would feel the bump. You may need to consider a smartcarry or ankle holslter and a smaller gun at some point.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links