Clairification on South Carolina

This is a discussion on Clairification on South Carolina within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SLED in SC has updated their reciprocity list to include resident Florida CCWs. I reviewed the law on their site, and I want to confirm ...

Thread: Clairification on South Carolina

SLED in SC has updated their reciprocity list to include resident Florida CCWs.

I reviewed the law on their site, and I want to confirm the following:

1. You can carry in a roadside restroom, since they are not on the prohibited list of places.
    2. There is no indication that one must notify a LEO when stopped.
    Can someone from South Carolina confirm that I did not miss something?

I am very happy that Florida is now on the list. Putting my traveling companion into the glove box/console was a pain, especially when my wife and I would spit the drive between Florida and Western Pennsylvania. Many times she would drive from SC into NC and VA, and given that I would be asleep when we crossed the SC/NC line, she would be in technical non-compliance (no CCW) when the car was in NC.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

1. you can carry concealed into a SC Rest Area. As long as you hold a recognized permit

2. Yes you do need to notify in SC

SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty five dollars.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

16-23-420
    f) this section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry concealed weapons pursuant to article 4, chapter 31 of title 23 when upon any premises, property, or building that is part of an interstate highway rest area facility.
    23-231-15
    (k) a permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to article 4 of chapter 31 of title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder. a permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to sled headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty-five dollars.

Thanks for that info...I'm pleased with the reciprocity of FL and SC, it's been a long time in coming.

Stay armed...now in SC, too...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Y'all can come on up now!
    Sean
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Field Trip to XD's house. Bring the ammo!!!

You can bring all the ammo you want..... we still can't shoot it here. But I'll take donations.
    Sean

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I own a spot we can go shooting
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

You can shoot in my back yard anytime.

Thanks for the Info

Thanks to everybody who answered my two questions.

I also did a little research on the Castle Doctrine, and it sure looks like SC read Marion Hammer's work in Florida.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Heck yea now our fl boys can be packing on i95w/cwp

Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    Thanks to everybody who answered my two questions.

I also did a little research on the Castle Doctrine, and it sure looks like SC read Marion Hammer's work in Florida.
    I haven't compared them word for word but I think the SC law is almost identical to the FL law. They had to have used FL law as a guide.

Sponsored Links