Would you disarm to meet a candidate?

This is a discussion on Would you disarm to meet a candidate? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There aren't any politicians that I would really like to meet....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Would you disarm to meet a candidate?

There aren't any politicians that I would really like to meet.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Most candidates/political people/celebrities I wouldn't care to meet anyway. A few I would, and my decision to attend and disarm would be on a case-by-case basis. If I were able to meet a president or ex-president, the secret service will be involved. It's not a political issue with them, it's their duty to protect that person.

How about this as a modified question to the OP?

If you were to receive an award presented to you by POTUS for some deed or heroism that you did, would you attend unarmed?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JG01 View Post
    What would the purpose be to carry there, besides just trying to make a point.
    It's not so much the "carrying there" its the trip to and from.

Not much different from the "why do you need a gun in a library" argument. People get mugged in parking lots of libraries.

The purpose would be like the purpose to carry anywhere else: self defense.

It would be a bummer to disarm, get to meet your favorite candidate and then get mugged heading back to your car or home.

Having said that, I firmly believe that with the waccos running around today, if the President or either of the two major candidates were not surrounded by SS, the would be killed by someone.

The SS around them is not a guarantee that they won't be killed, it just makes it a little more difficult.

If I had had a chance to meet Regan, hell yes I would disarm.

Haven't seen anyone recently that I would definitely do that for, so I'll just stay away.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

kpw
    There are a lot of places I have to disarm to go to. I don't like it but that's the way it is. Bush came to Erie back in '04 and my kids wanted to go. My children wanting to go see the president made it a no-brainer. The gun stayed in the car.

Seeing a no brainer is a no-brainer.

I would disarm for the right person and would heavily arm for the rest.

I would also take a shovel to dig myself a foxhole in the B.S

Short answer, No! To what end would I desire to meet a candidate?

Surely it would not be for the purpose of establishing a friendship--it doesn't seem likely I would be in regular contact with this person. Perhaps it could be valuable for name-dropping purposes?

Would I imagine speaking with the candidate for a few seconds to a few minutes (or even hours) would result in an intuitive judgment that would let me make the right decision about casting my vote for him or her?

Actually, It is impossible to determine what someone is going (or even likely) to do in the future by interviewing them and using your intuitive power to make a determination. You could guess correctly (in part) but this would only be chance. You might as well draw straws. Even if we believe that everyone has "tells," could we pick up on them in so short a period of time and thus detect lies or deceit?

A better method (though far from perfect) is to rely on assessment of past performance. Study and read about the psychology of decision making and rational judgment.

A couple of books to consider:

Sutherland, Stuart, Irrationality: Why We Don't Think Straight. New Brunswick, New Jersey: Rutgers University Press, 1994.

Dawes, R.M., Rational Choice in an Uncertain World. Orlando: Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, 1988.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

I would disarm to meet Sarah Palin. To heck with the rest.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    We Could meet at the range! I would gladly take pointer s from the future VP.
    I wonder if she carries? It would nt surprise me.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

VIP Member
    Yes I would. I carry 24-7 but will disarm if there is something I want to do and can't carry.

Thumbs down I am amazed

By the number of us who see no problem in disarming just so they can go schmooze people who DO NOT CARE about us other than as potential votes. I disarm regularly; when I HAVE to, as required by law. That's it. This is why DC and Maryland get none of my disposible income, and neither does the Great American Restaurants chain.

I have a permit, which means I've had a background investigation. In my particular case, I've also had a background investigation every five years since age 22 (job requirements). If you believe I cannot be trusted to be near you simply because I'm armed, you are A) a feeble-minded idiot, or B) too lazy to do your job without infringing on my rights.

I have no problem with the Service knowing who is armed before they approach a protectee. I just don't believe it's necessary to disarm everyone. Sure, it makes their job easier; so what? Stop & reflect for a minute on just what the acceptance of these policies says about the candidates.....................................

I honestly don't think that I'd cross the street to meet a candidate.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Would you disarm to meet a candidate?
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    Meeting Mrs. Palin would be dis-arming.
    Any others, well,....

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Indeed. That's what I'm thinking. I might.......if I got a big ole hug from Sarah and got to smell her hair! Any others, well,.... I don't have a crush on any of them.

Thousands of members at the NRA convention this year had to disarm (including pocket knives and bottled water) to hear McCain, Romney, etc. speak. Metal detectors, bag searched, the full airport bit.

When I was in Corps I was in KC-130 aircrew. We occasionally used to carry the President's limo around the country. I have been present when the Secret Service are at work. They don't hesitate! If you did draw a gun or even show one, you would probably be dead before you hit the floor! No warning shouts or anything elese, they would just drill your carcass! I wouldn't even wear anything shiny that could be mistaken for a weapon, think I would go with empty pockets! You don't need a gun, there will be more than enough guns there! I don't really think my widow explaining my 2dA rights to a Secret Service Agent would bring me back to life. Yes, I would disarm if I went to see or hear a candidate.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

VIP Member
    Or get arrested

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links