Would you disarm to meet a candidate?

This is a discussion on Would you disarm to meet a candidate? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When we receive a license to carry, we secure not only rights, but responsibilities to the rest of us. We should not do anything to ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Would you disarm to meet a candidate?

When we receive a license to carry, we secure not only rights, but responsibilities to the rest of us. We should not do anything to jeopardize or impair that right. When a licensee gets arrested at one of these events, it gives all of us an unjust black eye. To be sure in such a forum today there are going to be plenty of law enforcement officers there to handle any situation, and if a situation should arise, a licensee pulling a gun would clearly make matters worse. This is not a "rights" issue, just a matter of being "reasonable" minded in today's world where there are those who would do harm to those who seek and secure public office.

2. Remove Ads

No. I was at a Ron Paul speech and didn't disarm, so why should I disarm to meet any of the other candidates?
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'd probably would...to meet Ms. Palin ...I wouldn't walk across the street to meet the rest.
    +1
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

with all the secret service around another gun in the fray would be more likely to get me shot by the goodguys than allow me to help out.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Yes for either party...

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Given that it is political campaign season, say one of the candidates (doesn't necessarily have to be presidential) was coming to your town and was going to be holding some type of town hall meeting. Would you go to the meeting knowing that you would have to disarm to get in?
    This is our Country's history...It would be a great opportunity...I've met Bush Sr. when he was VP visiting Germany. Just to witness first hand some of the many things we read about.

Angry Revealing

That most responses to this thread are of the "of course I'll disarm" variety. I submit this is the penultimate example of why our nation's politics is so [Edited]. We rail on for pages about stores with "no guns allowed" signs, cheer people for going into such establishments to jerk the employees around to make a point, hand out "No Guns = No Money" cards, etc.

But we will eagerly forfeit our precious Second Amendment rights to be in the same building with a flack who won't remember us the next day. And we sagely justify it be remarking how fast & ruthless the Sercret Service is. Folks, the Gestapo was pretty damn efficient, too!

My point is that all four of the Presidential/VP candidates already work for US! All four currently hold elective office. The Secret Service, at least in theory, also works for us. As I indicated in a previous post, I have no issue with the Service screening people & knowing before the fact if I am armed. But the simple fact that I am armed should not be carte blanche to tag me as a hostile, or bar me from the grounds of the event. This is another example of how we have let the government elevate itself above the "mere citizen", and empower itself to disregard our concerns. Rewarding bad behavior does not lead to improvement. And repeating the same actions over & over while expecting the results to change is idiocy.....

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieP View Post
    When we receive a license to carry, we secure not only rights, but responsibilities to the rest of us.
    Armed citizens only appear threatening to those who wish to exert power over them. It is, indeed, about the responsibility of everyone to recognize exactly what this means. Far too few recognize how simple this is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Flip this around the other-way, would you go to meet a candidate that wanted you to disarm first?
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

I'd only want to meet Palin. the rest would not get the time of day from me.

The "politicians" I'd like to meet were alive in the 1700's.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I would disarm. As a law abiding citizen, that is what I have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    The "politicians" I'd like to meet were alive in the 1700's.
    +1.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Put it this way. If there are 5,000 people gathering together to meet a presidential cantidate and all 5,000 are armed. What are the odds that one of the 5,000 is a nutcase and likely to cause a problem. I know that most people would be totally harmless carrying a gun to meet Obama but who decides which of those 5,000 is not harmless and how do they do it? If one out of every 10 Americans are in jail that means out of 5,000 there is a good chance of 500 causing problems.

As for me I don't like crowds to start with.

Would you disarm to meet a candidate?

I would not require that the candidate have the Secret Service disarm to meet me. I would expect the same courtesy.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

No, I would not go to the meeting whether they let me stay armed or not. I can hear their lies on TV which takes the hassle out of parking.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Let me put it this way...

Some years ago I left work and to go into town to the hardware store. When I got to the parking lot they were setting up a stage and there was a trailer with Ollie North signs all over it. He was running for something here in Virginia (senate?) When we got out of the car I told my companion we better lock the car this time - there are politicians in the area!
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links