Visor holder for important papers.

This is a discussion on Visor holder for important papers. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure all of us watch COPS on TV. You see when they are pulling someone over, the people are always leaning, moving and such ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visor holder for important papers.

I'm sure all of us watch COPS on TV. You see when they are pulling someone over, the people are always leaning, moving and such looking like they are trying to hide something or grab something?
    Right after I got my Ohio CHL permit, I went to Wally World and bought one of those zippered visors that attach with velcro straps to your sun visor. In that visor wallet above the steering wheel I carry my proof of insurance card, my vehicle registration, and a spare picture work ID if I need another picture ID. If I get stopped, I personally think it will help calm any fears or issues the traffic officer has if you aren't bouncing around in the front seat trying to find 'stuff' while you are being puilled over. When the officer comes to the window, I can have my Wallet out, both my drivers license and CHL ready, both of my hands on the steering wheel in plain sight. When the officer asks for my reg. and ins., I don't have to open any glove compartments, closed middle containters, etc. I can reach up in front of my eyes, slip the papers from the visor, hand them to the officer and immediately put both hands back on the wheel in plain sight.

Every car they pull over is a potentially deadly situation in the officers mind. They are trained to err on the side of caution. Somehow, I think taking the extra measure to make any traffic stop smooth and seamless for the traffic officer will go a long way in helping the officers gain more respect for us, the CHL holders. (And maybe the driver getting a warning instead of a fine.)
    Ohio Rusty ><>

IMHO I would not do it. It wouldn't give you enought time to talk your way out of the summoms if you have everything ready to go the LEO will take it and walks way to right a summons. Wouldn't take longer that neccassry but would not have everything all set to go. The longer the postive interaction the greater chance of talking your way out the of summons.

i.d. in visor.

thats a good idea. i keep my ins./reg. paper work
    tucked half way into molding just above driver side
    door. just reach up and there it is.
    just as ohio rusty mentioned. works good for me.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

A local LEO told me that great way to keep your hands visible is to roll down the window and place your hands on bottom of the window frame / or hang your hands out of the window. He said that when you place your hands on the steering wheel, an officer coming from behind you can't always see your hands. He said when people do as he has suggested, he tends to believe this person is in law enforcement or knows someone that is in law enforcement and appreciates the gesture (brownie points). He also said it is best not to do anything until the LEO is there at your window and asks you to retrieve any DL, Ins., CHL, etc. BTW I haven't had a chance to test this theory (and don't want one) but it makes sense to me.

Try a different approach...drive more cautiously and slowly...that solves lots of problems from the 'get-go'.

I don't think it really matters where you keep your 'papers', just as long as you have them and know exactly where they are...I have them in a leather packet inside the glove box.

Stay armed...wear 'lighter' shoes...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I have a CD holder wrapped around my sunvisor. I keep my registration and insurance card tucked in it.

HITCH KING: it's pretty unlikely that you'll talk your way out of, or into, a ticket. Especially with the younger officers, many of whom are being TRAINED to make that decision before they even contact the driver.

Another thing we do is keep a photocopy of me and the wife's DL with the Insurance and reg.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I have often thought it would be handy to have my stuff clipped to the visor. Trouble is I know I would forget and leave it in the car when I got out.
    I think i'm coming down with that sumtimers disease.

Michael

I think that visor packet is a great idea.

Which is why I have been using one for the past couple of years.

The question is, why didn't you or I think of it sooner so we could have made a few bucks on that idea?!

Take care, Kev

Keeping those things over your visor is a good idea. It leaves you glove box for personal things that LE has no business seeing out of view. Maybe you are carrying in the glove comp. at the time and that may make for an interesting discovery, even though you are legal. I have a lot of friends in LE and sometimes when people get pulled over they have forgotten they are packing in the glove comp.. When they open it to retrieve their reg and ins card, guess what flops out. A big surprise to all....
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Before CCW existed I would carry my registration and proof of insurance in an ID window clipped to my visor so that I didn't have to open my glove box. That's where I kept my handgun when on the road. (Legal in my state) I was just thinking the other day when I saw one of those that maybe I should start doing that again just to simplify things should I ever get stopped.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

A question for the LEOs on here: Is it probable cause for a vehicle search if you observe the person you have just stopped, leaning over, reaching under the seat or into the glove compartment or making any non-normal bodily maneuvers prior to your approaching the stopped vehicle?
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    A question for the LEOs on here: Is it probable cause for a vehicle search if you observe the person you have just stopped, leaning over, reaching under the seat or into the glove compartment or making any non-normal bodily maneuvers prior to your approaching the stopped vehicle?
    It's not PROBABLE CAUSE, which is defined essentially (for the purposes of search, not arrest) as that level of proof at which it is more likely than not that a particular type of contraband will be found in a particular place.

What it IS is REASONABLE, ARTICULABLE SUSPICION that a WEAPON may have been placed in a place of concealment, or retrieved from a place of concealment.

.....and just as that's enough to pat down a PERSON for weapons, it's enough to search the passenger compartment of a vehicle for weapons.

IMNSHO, the best thing to do is to roll down the window, put your hands on the door frame, wait for the officer, announce you have a CCL, tell him you are armed and ask for further instructions. Each LEO has his own routine for traffic stops. Seems to me the best thing to do is to let him go through his routine and give you instructions.
    Last edited by Divebum47; September 14th, 2008 at 09:17 AM. Reason: misspelling
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

remember in defensive classes.... (you've taken one, right?)...... the best course of action is to avoid a confrontation in the first place ??

Obey the traffic laws, and any potential "meeting" with a law enforcement officer becomes almost non-existant.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links