Holster to avoid? - Page 2

Holster to avoid?

This is a discussion on Holster to avoid? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mike: You're starting out well, a darned good weapon and a carry permit right off to boot! As many have said, most of us have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holster to avoid?

Mike:
    You're starting out well, a darned good weapon and a carry permit right off to boot! As many have said, most of us have a box or drawer full of holsters that just didn't measure up - unfortunately it's such a personal preference that most people can't avoid the phenomenon.

While most people tend to prefer quality leather, we have a fair number of kydex/concealex fans here too (Comp-tac comes to mind). We've got some of the very best holster makers in the business right here on the Forum and, without exception, they're a great bunch of guys. I highly recommend checking their respective websites, I guarantee you'll find something that makes you drool! The wait for a custom leather rig can be agonizing but it's all worth it when you strap it on for the first time.

Welcome to the best Forum on the web!
    Jack

Administrator

Printing

A firearm will always "print" under any shirt with a Fobus Paddle Holster.
    It's impossible to pull the firearm in tight enough to the body.
    Maybe if a carry person is as thin as a rail & wears a "T" 2 sizes oversize...they could get away with wearing one. Maybe.
    Use it for a range holster or throw it away.
    One or the other.
    Fobus paddle holsters are an extremely poor design for concealed carry.

The fobus that I was given a few years ago now has the paddle removed, and the main part that holds the G22 is attached to the file cabinet between the seats of my service type van. Open vehicle carry has always been ok in the state I travel in most, and it makes a great place to put the gun when driving.

I can never bring myself to throw anything away, but sometimes you can find other uses for it that the original designers intended.

Hi Mike
    I've had many holsters in my time, as all of us here. I'm the type that never wants to bring attention to what I'm carrying. I avoid the exposed muzzel types. I currently carry most of my wapons in either a Galco, or the higher-end type paddle, pancake types.
    My Glocks usually sit inside a Galco, Don Hume, thype. I also have the Bianchis as well. Like most of the Forumites mention, the Fobus is a bit cheap for starters, and you'll move up to something good for conceilment. Lined is good to consider also.
    We currently have some REALLY GOOD leathersmiths within the Forum..Check em out..You can't go wrong
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

And to think the guy at the range told me that leather holsters were going "the way of the Dodo."

I will most likely use the Fobus mounted on my bed frame so I won't have to fumble around in the nightstand drawer should my beauty rest be disturbed.

The holster I will carry with (when my permit gets here,) will be the Blackhawk CQC carbon fiber one that I bought at the range. (Although I hear I bought too late to actually save the Dodo from extinction.)

It can be worn as a "belt holster," or as a paddle-type. I tend to like the paddle because it is easy to remove when I need to park it in the truck to enter a "No Carry Zone," without having to partially undress in the parking lot.

But as I said, I will keep an eye out for something in leather, perferably made by a Forum member.

There is a chance that I just might decide that this particular holster that I just bought (the CQC,) is the one that works for me.

P95Carry really made my day when he mentioned the loose-fitting, loud print Hawaian shirt.! For a number of years, that kind of shirt was pretty-much my trademark! Now I can go back to that, but this time wear them unbuttoned over a tucked in T shirt and no one will likely view that as a sudden change in my usual mode of dress.

I did have one or two of those shirts in the closet that I still wear from time to time. I tried them out and they worked out fairly well. I'll need to get a few more, slightly larger, and I'll be good to go.

Next chance I get, I'll get a couple and a wider belt. That should do it!

Thanks for all the help!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Ive never had luck Getting a paddle holster to conceal well..

The hawaian flowered shirt might do well if pretty wild i have a wild shirt inlaws sent me and it hides a gun well even if printing the shirt is so wild no one will notice

There is a link of holster's in a thread somewhere here and check out the links bumper but up and you can shop holsters till your eyeballs fall out ..

For IWB i like desantis if you start looking that way ..

Course Think that helps with desantis for me is there quick making a lefty holster

Assistant Administrator
    For a number of years, that kind of shirt was pretty-much my trademark! Now I can go back to that, but this time wear them unbuttoned over a tucked in T shirt and no one will likely view that as a sudden change in my usual mode of dress.
    There ya go Mike - you are good to go - even better than I thought.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've been carrying a RIA 1911 CP in a Bianchi IWB.; still experimenting "strong side/weakside", weak side seems a better position when driving. I've found that 3 shirts work well for concealment, an "A-shirt" one size smaller than normal tucked into my pants, then a t-shirt usually a colored one to contrast with whatever shirt I'm wearing, both worn outside of the pants. Two shirts over the weapon does soften the outlines and if the outside shirt is a bit larger and wrinkled nothing shows at all. Also carrying my wallet in one of my front pockets adds a bit of "explainable lumpyness" to an other wise smooth exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    ... Most of us have a box or 2 of holsters we have tried before settling on what we currently use. ...
    Boy idn' THAT the truth! Mike, I have a couple that really seem to do well. The first is a Milt Sparks Versa Max. Frankly, it's no better or worse than anything put out by the other good holstermakers, but as folks say here, you do get whatcha pay for, and this one works well. I'm 6'5" and about 270, and the Versa Max holds the pistol well in and close, at an angle I prefer, is easy on the clothing, secure etc.

Now, here's another one that I have found very useful.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/K8.htm

It's tuckable, secure and the angle can actually be adjusted. I had a similar holster before - one with the fixed hook, and the hook broke after only 4 months. This one is holding up well so far.

So, I carry in the Versa Max when I have a covering garment. In it, I carry a LTW Commander. For deeper carry, I carry my Combat Master in either the Fist holster referred to above (or in a Kramer pocket holster - didn't mention this earlier b/c I am gathering you are looking for a belt-located holster.)

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

My Fobus paddle does well. I am 6'1 and 235pds. I carry outside the waistband and wear my shirts 1 size larger. Now for you guys who carry inside the band. I can't do that because I feel that you have too much to move if you have to draw. Nevertheless, something has to go bigger. If inside the band you have to get bigger pants and belt. It all comes down to a persons body shape and the weapon they are trying to conceal. I think Fobus has gotten a bad rap since that video showed up online showing a guy tearing one apart. Well as CCW person no one should know you have a pistol, especially a bad guy. Moreover, if your pistol prints regardless of holster get a new holster or something, but fix the problem. My 2cents.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

LOL My wife is STEAMIN'! Not at me, just 'cause.

The FedEx guy was just here and I took delivery of a box marked GALCO in tall letters.

My Christmas present for the new H&K USP. We're picking it up on our way out of town for Christmas with her family upstate. Now, I'll have a holster for it, but since I'll not have fired it, I'll still be packing my Sig P245.

BTW, Anybody know the lube points on the USP? Is it like the Glock, which loves to shoot virtually dry? IIRC there are only five pinpoint lube points for a Glock.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Update on my "holster oddesy."

I may have a problem with paddle holsters that I should have seen coming.

Occasionally, I have a little sciatic never problem. One of those things where I might feel a little twinge deep in my hip as I go to bed, which usually means I'll have a moderate to severe pain in the morning, shooting down the hip, on the back of my leg, sometimes all the way to the heel.

If I recognize that little twinge, I can usually head things off at the pass by taking 800 mg of Ibuprophin that night, and follow up with another dose or two, the next day. If I miss the clue, then even with the anti-inflammatory, I'm in for a few rough days.

I have found that too much junk in the billfold, in pants that are just a little too tight, will bring this on.

I wore the CQC Blackhawk holster all day yesterday, in the paddle mode. Woke up with a mild case of the above described condition. It could have been coincidental. I took my meds.

Today, I tried the holster using the belt attachment instead of the paddle. So far, so good! But, I'll know more in the morning.

I won't be wearing it the next two days, as I'll be at work, a no-carry zone.

If I can wear it for a few days without any nerve pressure, I'll convert the holster back to the paddle carry and try that again. I don't think using this holster in a cross draw will work for me, (concealment problems.)

Should this just not work out, I guess the only option might be a sholder rig. Could go that way, I suppose, but to tell the truth, I'm really in love with this SERPA Retention thing! Of course, that could be just my inexperience talking.

Too bad that isn't available in a shoulder rig, it might make a one-handed re-holster possible.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

I've had a touch of SCIATICA myself. I find that I can't carry IWB with a full sized auto (like a M92 Beretta or 1911 Gov't)in such a way that the barrel lies along that area. But I find that if I "cant" the holster a bit, or slide it forward... closer to the hip, it seems to help.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madmike

Too bad that isn't available in a shoulder rig, it might make a one-handed re-holster possible.

mm
    Fobus "Roto" system makes a shoulder rig, that accepts the Roto-holster. You have to buy both separately. The roto paddle sticks way out from the hip. Great for open carry; impossible for concealed. Check out the Roto system, it's unique.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    A firearm will always "print" under any shirt with a Fobus Paddle Holster.
    It's impossible to pull the firearm in tight enough to the body.
    Maybe if a carry person is as thin as a rail & wears a "T" 2 sizes oversize...they could get away with wearing one. Maybe.
    Use it for a range holster or throw it away.
    One or the other.
    Fobus paddle holsters are an extremely poor design for concealed carry.
    Have to agree. I own a fobus paddle, it works well in the winter up here over a winter coat, but any thing less doesn't hide it. I like mine for quick trips out. The paddle is easier to put on/take off.
    I still stand by my original assesment. Get a few cheap nylon types. IWB, OWB ect. See what works best for ya. then lay down some cash for a quality leather,kydex or other holster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links