Security guard at work asked me if I was carrying today

This is a discussion on Security guard at work asked me if I was carrying today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JerryM One is honor and duty bound to obey the policies of the company for which he works. If he does not ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Security guard at work asked me if I was carrying today

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    One is honor and duty bound to obey the policies of the company for which he works. If he does not like the policy then find another job.
    Jerry
    Jerry...I understand were you are coming from on this, but it is utopian. Federal employees or even school teachers may not "like" the policy, but many follow the policy...or risk being outed and fired (than than likely never being rehired in that particular area or vocation). If one chooses to carry at work against company policy, than I can only assume they accept the risk and repercussions (for whatever reason).

Kudos Grady for being fast on your feet with the answer. Wonder what would of happened if he challenged you further? Regardless, although we love to talk CCW and self-defense, I am not an advocate to discuss at work with anyone. My friend today can become my enemy tomorrow.

Rick

2. Remove Ads

Seems like recommending to someone to carry at work in violation of company policy is getting into some tall weeds.

I personally would not.

Having said that, some have talked about loyalty to ones employer. I am also of the belief that you owe as much loyalty to your employer as he owes to you. In todays world if not always, that means "not much."

What is the first thing American business managers do when there is the slightest down turn in profits. Fire people!

I once worked for that rare company that did not follow such a policy. If the company had a bad year, the owner sucked it up and took the hit. The employees loved him. You could not find more loyal and hard working employees.

Then "junior" took over and all that changed. Within 10 years moral sucked, profits were down, and the company was sold off.

The company I worked for before retireing had a no weapons policy. In the first two weeks I worked there, we had a bomb threat and some one tried to burn down the office I worked in. In the 30 years I was there, we had multiple cases of people being assaulted and robbed between the parking lots and the office. The company stated that it was our responibility to stay safe on the way to work. After the first week I was there I always carried a Weapon for my own safety. My life is more important then any job. I have always felt that I can always get another job, but only get to live once. My family would have a harder time taking care of itself if I was dead, then if I had to be looking for a job.

Well put raevan

puts things in perspective

I've tried to be discreet and very private about my carry status. However, over the last couple of years in discussions of crimes (particularly multiple homicides in churches, colleges, etc.) I've "tipped my hand" a bit.

It's difficult to espouse carry without revealing that you carry yourself. When confronted directly with the question, I try to be a bit coy with my response, kind of a "...only my hairdresser knows..." kind of answer.

The bottom line is, though, that many people know that I carry because I'm not shy about lamenting senseless and defensless deaths as I promote the taking of responsibility for one's own defense.

I'm sure I stumble in achieving what I want in this respect, but I'll never miss an opportunity to educate and influence others, even if it compromises my privacy about carry.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

When and if he encourages disobeying company rules or laws, it is well deserved. Not a cheap shot, as one should be aware of the history of the one whom he quotes.

Everyone has to live with his past, and evidently he has not changed.

Best,
    Jerry
    So it's wrong (and somehow a negative reflection on one's character) to encourage someone to be prepared despite company policy or law.

How far do we take this? What about someday when the libs win and it's illegal to carry or own a gun at all? Is "The Law" always to be obeyed?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

family first work second so if i was in these shoes i would carry at work also.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    So it's wrong (and somehow a negative reflection on one's character) to encourage someone to be prepared despite company policy or law.

How far do we take this? What about someday when the libs win and it's illegal to carry or own a gun at all? Is "The Law" always to be obeyed?
    Hi KT,
    It is not only a case of being prepared, but of character and morals. When you work for someone, you are bound to obey the rules even if you do not like them. It is a moral issue, and an issue of character.

Unless we obey the policies we are not good employees, and the same for the law. If one does not agree with the law he should seek to get it changed and not ignore it.

If the libs get in, and the USSC declares a law constitutional that is the law. Yes, we obey.

Anyone who encourages someone to disobey his employer or the law lacks the moral character to be one who would be quoted.

The chances of an employee getting shot or knifed are miniscule. How many such instances have occurred in a specific company/organization? Probably none. The fact that such occurred somewhere at some time does not justify disobeying the law or the company which pays the salary. Again, if one disagrees with the company policy then quit and find a job where the conditions are to one's liking.

If we just obey the rules and laws we like it would result in chaos. Laws and rules are made to prevent that, although some do not accomplish the purpose. That is not for those not in authority to determine, but to obey or leave.

We can carry it to the level of thinking our way is the only way, and all others are wrong and not to be accepted or laws obeyed.

Regards,
    Jerry

Hi KT,
    It is not only a case of being prepared, but of character and morals. When you work for someone, you are bound to obey the rules even if you do not like them. It is a moral issue, and an issue of character.

Unless we obey the policies we are not good employees, and the same for the law. If one does not agree with the law he should seek to get it changed and not ignore it.

If the libs get in, and the USSC declares a law constitutional that is the law. Yes, we obey.

Anyone who encourages someone to disobey his employer or the law lacks the moral character to be one who would be quoted.

If we just obey the rules and laws we like it would result in chaos. Laws and rules are made to prevent that, although some do not accomplish the purpose. That is not for those not in authority to determine, but to obey or leave.

We can carry it to the level of thinking our way is the only way, and all others are wrong and not to be accepted or laws obeyed.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Can't say that I agree, particularly with the portion I "bolded." However, everyone's entitled to their opinion...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

SmartCarry rocks
    Absolutely, positively, right-on correct!

Hi KT,

The chances of an employee getting shot or knifed are miniscule. How many such instances have occurred in a specific company/organization? Probably none. The fact that such occurred somewhere at some time does not justify disobeying the law or the company which pays the salary. Again, if one disagrees with the company policy then quit and find a job where the conditions are to one's liking.

Regards,
    Jerry
    That company is not going to protect you...I dont care what anyone says. Its my god given right and my duty to protect myself and my family company rules be damned....guess I must be one of those immoral individuals that just cant seem to follow certain rules that I believe were made to keep all the little sheep lined up in a row..

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    At my work, there are several people who have CWL's and we talk guns. Of course there is a no weapons policy (including a no gun policy on company property which has since been overturned by Florida's most recent pro-gun law). Even before the law passed others and I kept our guns in our cars. I carry at work as well. Only one person knows and he/she isn't saying anything (close friend). Trying to get their CWL as well. Kudos for SmartCarry!
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry M
    Brings to mind a number of people, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Patrick Henry.... these men we now call "Patriots". In their time, the English Crown would've referred to them as criminals.

Reaching a bit more, are the rules/laws forbidding carry legal? Is not the U.S.Constitution (to include the 2nd amendment) not the Supreme law of the land? To that end, "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Regardless of what many "interpretations" say about this line, to me the meaning is clear. Even more clear when reading some of the other words and quotes of the founding fathers on firearms.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Brings to mind a number of people, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Patrick Henry.... these men we now call "Patriots". In their time, the English Crown would've referred to them as criminals.

Reaching a bit more, are the rules/laws forbidding carry legal? Is not the U.S.Constitution (to include the 2nd amendment) not the Supreme law of the land? To that end, "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Regardless of what many "interpretations" say about this line, to me the meaning is clear. Even more clear when reading some of the other words and quotes of the founding fathers on firearms.
    Very true, and very well said !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampRat View Post
    That company is not going to protect you...I dont care what anyone says. Its my god given right and my duty to protect myself and my family company rules be damned....guess I must be one of those immoral individuals that just cant seem to follow certain rules that I believe were made to keep all the little sheep lined up in a row..
    God says to obey your employer, and the government. Don't get mixed up about "God given rights."
    I would be interested to know how many people you have ever known who were attacked at work with a deadly weapon. I suspect the answer is none.
    Best,
    Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links