Security guard at work asked me if I was carrying today - Page 3

Security guard at work asked me if I was carrying today

This is a discussion on Security guard at work asked me if I was carrying today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by T Bone Brings to mind a number of people, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Patrick Henry.... these men we now call "Patriots". In ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Brings to mind a number of people, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Patrick Henry.... these men we now call "Patriots". In their time, the English Crown would've referred to them as criminals.

Reaching a bit more, are the rules/laws forbidding carry legal? Is not the U.S.Constitution (to include the 2nd amendment) not the Supreme law of the land? To that end, "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Regardless of what many "interpretations" say about this line, to me the meaning is clear. Even more clear when reading some of the other words and quotes of the founding fathers on firearms.
    The Constitution means what the Supreme Court says it means. The recent ruling in no way gave unlimited permission to carry what and where you desire. Your employer has the authority to refuse you permission to carry, and that is not in contradiction with the Constitution.

Evidently the Court did not think it meant what you are at least implying. If you think it means no one can limit your right to carry anywhere and anytime, you do not understand the ruling. The 2nd does not apply to private property or private businesses.

So if you do not like the rules of the employer you can find another job, but the Constitution does not give or protect a right to overrule your employer regarding carrying of weapons.

Best,
    Jerry

Ram Rod, I hope you are given no hassle for carrying in your car in the parking lot. 120 miles every day is a lot of miles to be unarmed. Iíll assume much of that is rural, and during the winter much of that will be in the dark. A lot can happen in 120 miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Who's to say the company is 100% within their legal bounds in their intent or rules posted to the employee? The average employee is just another pathetic sheep following the herd and will accept company regs as the gospel truth when in fact many of those rules should be questioned in their own time and right by those who know better. We must remain silent in the interim while building our case for that odd day when things just won't fall into place and follow the given rules of the universe. I agree with you completely. But then again...my cover has never been blown. Good luck to you in everything you do.
    Thanks. Good luck to you, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Maybe he was making sure, in case that 1 knucklehead co-worker you guys have does any more foolishness (I'm just thinking...)
    Paco, good memory! But Iím afraid I unintentionally threw you a curve ball. The droided-out coworker you are referring to is in my other job, my full-time job. I work at the one in the OP from 8-32 hours a week, depending on their needs. No one at this second job knows I carry on the job. As for my full-time job, itís more sensitive than this one, so Iím not commenting on any of my actions in that job.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Don't feel ashamed with revealling that you have a CCW either. I think you are exercising good judgement in hopes of winning another person to the world of legal conceal carry.
    Thanks. Iím trying to add to our numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    Casual conversation with a co worker can simply cost you your job.
    Absolutely true, so I am very judicial with whom I speak to. Only one coworker knows the extent of my carrying habits, and he was the one who introduced me to CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    ... does having-a-permit-and-carrying-at-OTHER-times-but-never-at-work change the advice?
    Paymeister, Iím not sure if your question was rhetorical, or whom you were addressing. Addressing your question, I suppose itís the same old quandry: does one keep totally silent about CCW, or does one discuss it? I see benefits both ways, even if one doesnít carry at work. I guess itís still a very personal decision.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This is true...I have convinced six different individuals at school to get their CCW permit by sharing the importance of SD and the need to be armed in today's world...
    Excellent! We need more ambassadors like you!

Rossman, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinko View Post
    The moral of the story is; don't carry at 4:00. An for God's sake, don't carry at 4:00 in a firearms restricted work environment.

If you carry at 4:00, you print. You might not think you do, but you do.
    Yes, I donít think I could pull off a 4:00 carry, unless maybe it was a Kahr or a mouse gun. I know 4:00 is a popular location, but I prefer something closer to the front for better retention anyway. Too many unscrupulous characters around here that might try to grab a gun if they saw it printing at 4:00.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    people are opertunists.

My son had an issue at work because of an after work party, he made mention of this.

I go to work to make money not freinds.
    Canít argue with any of your points. I hope your son's situation turned out okay.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    That is not being fair to the family to get fired and out of a job.
    How fair is it to the family when innocent workers are gunned down because they couldnít protect themselves?

You need not tell me that it saves your life as the odds are miniscule of getting shot unless you work in a "shop and rob" station.
    Iíll refute your statement in a bit.

Ö one should be aware of the history of the one whom he quotes.
    Iím aware of his history, and what he currently teaches. Thatís why I quoted him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmart30 View Post
    you never know when the ones you confided in will blurt out something stupid.
    Ive worked at a cpl of companies that when someone got fired or quit that they aired out all the "secrets" to management they had learned while they were there.
    No argument with this. Thatís why only one person knows I carry as often as I do. I donít consider him a co-worker; I consider him a friend. Yes, friendships come and go, but he is the one who brought me into the world of CCW. Other than a very few exceptions, I wholeheartedly agree with your post.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I'll echo Ram Rod's comments. There isn't ONE member of senior management who will attend my funeral or provide for my family if I cannot defend myself! Frankly, I won't give them that chance.
    Right on that!
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Grady - I like Gabe's quote and plan to cite him going forward! You did the right thing!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Jerry...I understand were you are coming from on this, but it is utopian. Federal employees or even school teachers may not "like" the policy, but many follow the policy...or risk being outed and fired (than than likely never being rehired in that particular area or vocation). If one chooses to carry at work against company policy, than I can only assume they accept the risk and repercussions (for whatever reason).
    Exactly right. Iíve counted the cost, and made my decision.

Kudos Grady for being fast on your feet with the answer.
    Thanks. Iím normally not that fast with my words, but this reply was born from a mindset that NO ONE at this job must know I carry. If anyone finds out (other than possibly 2 particular security guards, but I donít want them to know), Iíll be terminated on the spot.

Wonder what would of happened if he challenged you further?
    Iíd have sidestepped the question and redirected him with something like, ďIf anyone should be carrying, it should be you.Ē That would have taken his focus off of me because it could be argued he has more reason to carry than I do since he regularly deals with disgruntled people.

The only way he could have found out I was carrying was for him to stick his hand in my crotch. Iím not worried about that since heís such a macho guy that he doesnít want to be accused of being gay. He has also warned me in the past about the possibility of a hidden camera in the area I work, and I donít think heíd want to be on camera feeling some guyís crotch.

Regardless, although we love to talk CCW and self-defense, I am not an advocate to discuss at work with anyone. My friend today can become my enemy tomorrow.
    Excellent advice if one cannot take the chance of losing oneís job.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    What is the first thing American business managers do when there is the slightest down turn in profits. Fire people!
    Sadly true in almost all cases.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    My life is more important then any job. I have always felt that I can always get another job, but only get to live once. My family would have a harder time taking care of itself if I was dead, then if I had to be looking for a job.
    You summed up in 3 sentences what I have been trying to explain for multiple paragraphs.

Well put raevan

puts things in perspective

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    It's difficult to espouse carry without revealing that you carry yourself
    Yes it is. For some of my acquaintances (not only at work), the first step is to convince them that either they need a gun for adequate home defense, or that a gun isnít evil. For others, I try to convince them that just because they are Christians, it doesnít mean they are immune to random violence. For another, Iím trying to convince him how easily he can save for a firearm if heíd just cut back on the sodas he drinks.

Reminds me of a story another security guard told me. He told me how years ago when he worked in a bad part of town how his life was threatened. He started carrying a mouse gun, I think a .32, which at the time was absolutely illegal. For all I know he carries now, but I wonít ask him either.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    So it's wrong (and somehow a negative reflection on one's character) to encourage someone to be prepared despite company policy or law.

How far do we take this? What about someday when the libs win and it's illegal to carry or own a gun at all? Is "The Law" always to be obeyed?
    If a law is unethical, immoral, or a danger to my family, I say absolutely NO! And yes, I get to decide. If that makes me a criminal, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by halfcrazy View Post
    family first work second so if i was in these shoes i would carry at work also.
    Absolutely. Not even a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    Absolutely, positively, right-on correct!
    Another SmartCarry believer!

Quote Originally Posted by SwampRat View Post
    That company is not going to protect you...I dont care what anyone says. Its my god given right and my duty to protect myself and my family company rules be damned....guess I must be one of those immoral individuals that just cant seem to follow certain rules that I believe were made to keep all the little sheep lined up in a row..
    Join the crowd. I guess Iím one of those immoral individuals who believes in taking care of his family.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    At my work, there are several people who have CWL's and we talk guns. Of course there is a no weapons policy (including a no gun policy on company property which has since been overturned by Florida's most recent pro-gun law). Even before the law passed others and I kept our guns in our cars. I carry at work as well. Only one person knows and he/she isn't saying anything (close friend). Trying to get their CWL as well. Kudos for SmartCarry!
    Iím jealous of you having several coworkers who carry! Glad to see Florida is still improving the CWL laws.

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Brings to mind a number of people, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Patrick Henry.... these men we now call "Patriots". In their time, the English Crown would've referred to them as criminals.

Reaching a bit more, are the rules/laws forbidding carry legal? Is not the U.S.Constitution (to include the 2nd amendment) not the Supreme law of the land? To that end, "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Regardless of what many "interpretations" say about this line, to me the meaning is clear. Even more clear when reading some of the other words and quotes of the founding fathers on firearms.
    T Bone, you just knocked it out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Very true, and very well said !!!

Alright, Jerry. Iíll assume you are only trying to help, so I will try to be civil. I have so many issues with your advice that Iím not sure where to start.

The chances of an employee getting shot or knifed are miniscule. How many such instances have occurred in a specific company/organization? Probably none.
    A few years ago I was working for this same company in the same building, but in a different job. This was before CCW, and before I carried a weapon of any sort. It was ďcompany policyĒ to not carry any weapon of any sort. One night this lady brings in her brother, trying to get him some help. Heís half-crazed and irrational. I and one other guy try to talk him down. We try for about an hour. The police end up coming and arresting this guy for pointing a gun at his sister earlier in the night. Turns out this guy had a loaded rifle in the trunk of his car, about 25í from where I first contacted him and about 40í from where we spent an hour talking with him.

I ended up leaving that job because I felt it was too dangerous. After a 2-year break, I applied for the same company in a different job and different end of the building. One night I encountered the other guy who had tried to help me talk the crazy guy down. My previous coworker then told me the crazy guy had ended up pointing a gun at his sister, pulling the trigger, and blowing her into eternity.

So much for your ďminisculeĒ odds.

Youíll probably counter that I chose to work there. You would be right. It is as safe a place to work as there is in St. Louis, with the possible exception of a police station. If I cross this place off my list of acceptable places to work, then I might as well start begging for a check from Uncle Sam like so many others. I can run around and try to impregnate lots of girls to extend my fatherhood on your dime. After all, if itís not safe to work where I am now, itís not safe to work anywhere. I can stand on a street corner and sell drugs, also. At least there I can be armed.

And another thing: I believe you are retired. If Iím right, then you donít have to work with the public as many of us do. I believe you either live in the country or in a small town. Regardless of where you live, you have described your life as a peaceful life. Many times you claim to not need to CCW, and you have stated numerous times how you donít let CCW affect your life. Not all of us are retired. Not all of us live in isolated, peaceful areas. We have to live in our real worlds, not the world you live in. And regardless of where we work, there is the possibility of encountering thugs and random violence. You continually speak of miniscule chances and you discount the possibility that danger could happen to us. You donít get out much, do you?

The company I spoke about in the story above is pre-eminent in our town. It is known as a ďsafeĒ place. If something bad can happen there, it can happen anywhere. For one to follow your example of finding a job where the ďconditions are to oneís likingĒ, meaning safe, well, such a place doesnít exist, at least in my reality.

Have you ever lived in St. Louis? I doubt it. Even if you have, has it been recently? I sincerely doubt it. So you are trying to give me advice on how to work, how to live, and how to best care for my family, when you have never been to my neighborhood, have never lived here, have no idea of the crime rate (reported AND unreported) that is in this ďgoodĒ area? And you still try to dictate from a thousand miles away, in a little peaceful corner of the U.S., how I should best live in a major metropolis? I know, or I think, you mean well, but I am so glad I am in charge of my familyís security rather than you.

If we just obey the rules and laws we like it would result in chaos.
    It already is chaos, Jerry, and Iím just trying to survive it.

The fact that such occurred somewhere at some time does not justify disobeying the law or the company which pays the salary.
    The fact that such CAN occur somewhere at some time does justify taking precautions.

You mention character and integrity. Yes, those are important. But I stopped trying to be perfect long ago. I canít do it. If I try to focus too hard on all the little things, Iíll lose sight of the big things. Jesus rebuked some folks for doing that, specifically the Pharisees and the Saducees. He chastised them for getting the little things right but neglecting the big things. I donít want to get the little things right, like following every miniscule rule of my employer, yet miss the big things, like not being there to provide for my family. I canít do it all, so Iíve made the decision to follow President Reaganís example: Take a stand on the important issues, and let the chips fall where they may. Iíll take my stand on being alive to provide for my family, and Iíll let any chips, like losing a job, fall where they may.

I take your comments of immorality and lack of character to be condescendingly judgmental. It is my opinion that self-righteous comments such as yours are a turn-off to Christianity. I am so glad my Judge will be Jesus Christ and not you. How immoral would I be if I didnít take precautions against known threats, and then ended up dead? I could easily quote you verses from Proverbs that stress taking precautions, but this is a self-defense forum, not a forum on Christianity. If you try to turn this into a debate on Christianity, Iíll ask for this thread to be locked or deleted. This isnít the place. I only mention the Christianity aspect because you brought up morals and character, and because your words reminded me of the Pharisees and the Saducees.

And to your comment about something happening in a far off place blah, blah, blahÖ
    1) My coworker had to stick a gun in a guyís face to keep the guy away from my coworkerís wife. This happened 10 minutes from my house. The guy wouldnít listen to words of warning, but his compliance was immediate when the gun came out. Imagine that.
    2) A lady was carjacked at a hospital in broad daylight 7 minutes from my house.
    3) A guy was kidnapped and carjacked at a gas station 5 minutes from my house on a Saturday morning. The resultant police chase ended up with 2 dead BGís.
    4) My coworkerís brother was robbed at gunpoint coming out of a hospital (a no-carry zone, therefore he had no weapon on him) around noon one day. This hospital is 12 minutes from my house.

All these within a 6-month time frame. So much for your ďminisculeĒ odds.

BTW, I can provide news links to 2 and 3 in the above list if you doubt me. In item 1, the police were not called. In item 4, I believe the police were called but the incident didnít make the news.

I can go on, and just from recent memoryÖ In my ďsafeĒ neighborhood, a guy entered a house through the kitchen door and sexually assaulted a 15-year-old in her room. In a nearby neighborhood, perhaps the same guy slipped in through a patio door and sexually assaulted another female. Another coworker who lives 7 minutes away from me was mowing her backyard in broad daylight when her house was burglarized by a gang of illegal aliens. This resulted in a physical scuffle between her and one of the thieves. No police were there at the time. It was her against the thieves.

I donít live in utopia. Apparently you do.

You may suggest moving. So we move to the country, where there are no jobs. You gonna pay my salary? No job, we starve. How ďmoralĒ is that? I suppose I could hunt and fish on someone elseís property. Thatís against the law also. Shall I give you my address so you can start sending checks?

I believe you mean well, Jerry. But I believe you are sincerely wrong. I probably wouldnít have been so hard on you if you hadnít judged me as being immoral and of poor character. If protecting my family in the best way I know how is considered immoral and of poor character, then so be it. Iíll be as immoral and of as poor character as I can be, if thatís what it takes. I guess Iím learning to not give a damn what others think of me, as long as Iím taking care of my family the way I see fit. Iím so glad thatís my decision, rather than yours or others. Thank God I am my familyís protector because apparently not everyone sees the potential threats that I do.

I believe you mean well, Jerry. But I believe you are very uninformed of the potential for crime in my everyday life. And your suggested options are short-sighted: ďGet another job.Ē Youíre not in the job market right now, so itís very easy to tell someone to go get a job. Have you read a newspaper lately?

I canít get every jot and tittle of the Law right, but Iíll do everything I can to get the big things right, such as being alive to take care of my family. I ask you to not focus so much on tithing of mint, anise and cummin that you miss the more important things in life.

Your suggestion to me was to get another job, and to not be so immoral or of such poor character.

My suggestion to you is to not be so condescendingly judgmental on issues you are out of touch with.

We talk guns and hunting were I work, even the boss shoots and hunts. I do not talk about having a CFP, let someone else bring it up, and then maybe.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Lots of interesting discussion here. But what is the general consensus regarding carrying in a workplace that is clearly defined as off limits by state law, for example? I am not sure I would, since I don't want to jeopardize my ability to legally carry again.

Seems like the cell phone made a good diversion. Mine has also been mistaken for a weapon bulge by family members who know I carry. I'd leave it right where it is.
    - Kurt
    ďFreedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.Ē ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

several years ago a ex employee of a large company i worked for showed up with his rifle and started shooting into the building if memory serves he killed 1 and wounded 2 or 3? it was years ago.
    But i stand by my belief "NO JOB IS WORTH MY LIFE......" i will carry and if caught and fired oh well.

Grady, good post.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by edSky View Post
    Lots of interesting discussion here. But what is the general consensus regarding carrying in a workplace that is clearly defined as off limits by state law, for example? I am not sure I would, since I don't want to jeopardize my ability to legally carry again.
    That's why Missouri rocks, because it's not against state law to carry in the instance I cited. Company policy says one thing, state law says another. I follow the higher authority of state law. Guess I'm still immoral.

You do have a good point about jeopardizing your ability to legally carry in the future if you get a weapon violation. Your question goes back to the heart of the matter: is it worth it to you to carry when the consequences of being discovered are costly... we all weigh that with the possible consequences of needing a gun and not having one, and then we make our individual choices.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Grady, good post.
    Thanks. I resent being told I'm immoral and of low character when all I'm trying to do is provide for my family and keep them alive... especially from one who discounts Jesus' own words when Jesus commanded his disciples to be armed. I guess some commentator on Jesus knows more about what Jesus meant than Jesus did when he said it.

I'm not perfect by far, and I'm a poor example of Christianity, but I will protect myself and my family regardless of who it offends. And I'll make the choice on how I do it. Today's choice is a .45 and a .357. Time to strap on.

I would be interested to know how many people you have ever known who were attacked at work with a deadly weapon. I suspect the answer is none.
    Best,
    Jerry
    You suspect wrong..I suspect you don't get out to much..Fact is, at least a dozen and myself twice and those two were live fire....none of them were law enforcement. Try again.

I like answering: "You're joking, right?" but leaving it at that.

If someone doesn't think you ought to be carrying, they'll take it to mean, "You're joking, right? I'd never do that." The rest of us will take it to mean, "You're joking, right? I never leave home without my sidearm."

At least, in theory.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edSky View Post
    I don't carry where it is illegal by government and carry everywhere where it is legal, even if against "policy". BUT, I am never without my mind for one, and never without something to use as a weapon for two. Take college for example. I carry what I can, pocket knives and flashlights (especially since my classes are night classes). It comforts me marginally that I have two pistols with two extra mags for each in my car. ALL THE WAY IN MY CAR!
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I would be interested to know how many people you have ever known who were attacked at work with a deadly weapon. I suspect the answer is none.
    Best,
    Jerry
    Man arrested after shooting at Adtran - al.com

This happened at a good friend's workplace, within sight of my own. It does happen, and not just in areas known for trouble.

in peace
    faithmyeyes

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I would keep your cell phone right where it is. It gives someone something to look at that you can easily explain away. My bet is that security guard was probably trying to figure out how you may be carrying from the moment that you confided into him that you had a CCW. When he finnally thought he found it, he only found an opertunity to embarrass himself. From now on, if a future employee who might somehow know that you have a CCW ever asks the security guard, the security guard will vouch for how you are a stand up guy and that lump on your side is just your cell phone.

Don't feel ashamed with revealling that you have a CCW either. I think you are exercising good judgement in hopes of winning another person to the world of legal conceal carry.

VERY well said, sir.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I'm at work today wearing dress pants that fit me 10 pounds ago, and an untucked polo shirt that hangs over my belt about 2 inches. At one point a security guard drops in to chat. We're in a restricted area and no one else is around. He's standing behind me talking, and I lean forward for something. Out of the blue he asks, "Are you carrying?"

I've spoken to this officer before about gun issues. He's ex-military and ex-LEO, so self-defense and guns are something we have in common. He owns a 1911 but doesn't have his CCW. He knows I have a CCW (I know... don't ask, don't tell... but I'm trying to persuade him to get his). He's never asked me before if I carry on the job, and I've never volunteered that info. That subject heretofore has been off-limits, I guess by unspoken agreement since company policy is no carrying of weapons of any sort.

I looked at him and said rhetorically, "You're joking, right?" I said it with an attitude that there was no way I would carry on the premises. Then I added, "I wish."

He points down to a bulge under my shirt about 4:00, which became more pronounced when I bent over. I immediately raised my shirt and showed him my cell phone. That seemed to satisfy him, and the conversation went elsewhere at that point.

I know some of you never tell anyone you CCW, and I understand that viewpoint. Other than family, I've shared that info with very few people. I also see the benefits of discussing the issue by possibly increasing the number of those who CCW. I guess I've taken a middle ground: I don't share with strangers, but I may discuss CCW with those I trust. And for the very, very few I trust even more, I may share that I carry as often as I do. But that number is extremely small and will remain small.

So I never did answer him directly. And I didn't lie, either. I may change how I carry my phone just to avoid drawing attention and possibly giving someone the wrong impression.

I do trust this officer enough to talk guns with him, but not enough to get into personal carry issues. I strongly suspect he keeps his 1911 in his vehicle on the property, but I won't ask him. He may even have it on him. Anyway, I encountered no psycho's today, made it home safely, and I'm still employed, so it was a good day.

Some people will say we should always abide by the intent of the company we work for. I understand that viewpoint and respect those that follow it. Personally, my priorities are this:

1) Taking care of my family, which by extension means also taking care of myself.

2) Not breaking any laws, as long as it doesn't conflict with priority #1.

I don't give a damn about following the policies of some anti's, policies that give all the advantages to criminals or a crazed gunman. I don't even give a small damn about that. I'll quote Gabe Suarez again to sum up how I feel: "Being broke or in jail is temporary: being dead isn't."

For those that choose to follow every intention of your employer, good on ya. My life goals are to take care of my family and make it to the end of my life naturally. I have no interest in exiting early because some punk with a gun caught me unarmed.

No laws were broken in the commission or writing of this post. And SmartCarry rocks.

I never mention that I have CCW permits. The only ones that know are the ones that I shoot with and my family, of course. I don't bring it up because it's not something that I want broadcasted.

From reading some of the threads in here, I get the impression that there are some people who get their CCWs so they can walk around, telling people that they're packing, like it's a big game. They're more obsessed with the idea of carrying the firearm and wanting people to catch them. These are the people that I avoid. It's more important to be prepared for self-defense. That's what this is all about.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links