Security guard at work asked me if I was carrying today

This is a discussion on Security guard at work asked me if I was carrying today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm at work today wearing dress pants that fit me 10 pounds ago, and an untucked polo shirt that hangs over my belt about 2 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Security guard at work asked me if I was carrying today

I'm at work today wearing dress pants that fit me 10 pounds ago, and an untucked polo shirt that hangs over my belt about 2 inches. At one point a security guard drops in to chat. We're in a restricted area and no one else is around. He's standing behind me talking, and I lean forward for something. Out of the blue he asks, "Are you carrying?"

I've spoken to this officer before about gun issues. He's ex-military and ex-LEO, so self-defense and guns are something we have in common. He owns a 1911 but doesn't have his CCW. He knows I have a CCW (I know... don't ask, don't tell... but I'm trying to persuade him to get his). He's never asked me before if I carry on the job, and I've never volunteered that info. That subject heretofore has been off-limits, I guess by unspoken agreement since company policy is no carrying of weapons of any sort.

I looked at him and said rhetorically, "You're joking, right?" I said it with an attitude that there was no way I would carry on the premises. Then I added, "I wish."

He points down to a bulge under my shirt about 4:00, which became more pronounced when I bent over. I immediately raised my shirt and showed him my cell phone. That seemed to satisfy him, and the conversation went elsewhere at that point.

I know some of you never tell anyone you CCW, and I understand that viewpoint. Other than family, I've shared that info with very few people. I also see the benefits of discussing the issue by possibly increasing the number of those who CCW. I guess I've taken a middle ground: I don't share with strangers, but I may discuss CCW with those I trust. And for the very, very few I trust even more, I may share that I carry as often as I do. But that number is extremely small and will remain small.

So I never did answer him directly. And I didn't lie, either. I may change how I carry my phone just to avoid drawing attention and possibly giving someone the wrong impression.

I do trust this officer enough to talk guns with him, but not enough to get into personal carry issues. I strongly suspect he keeps his 1911 in his vehicle on the property, but I won't ask him. He may even have it on him. Anyway, I encountered no psycho's today, made it home safely, and I'm still employed, so it was a good day.

Some people will say we should always abide by the intent of the company we work for. I understand that viewpoint and respect those that follow it. Personally, my priorities are this:

1) Taking care of my family, which by extension means also taking care of myself.

2) Not breaking any laws, as long as it doesn't conflict with priority #1.

I don't give a damn about following the policies of some anti's, policies that give all the advantages to criminals or a crazed gunman. I don't even give a small damn about that. I'll quote Gabe Suarez again to sum up how I feel: "Being broke or in jail is temporary: being dead isn't."

For those that choose to follow every intention of your employer, good on ya. My life goals are to take care of my family and make it to the end of my life naturally. I have no interest in exiting early because some punk with a gun caught me unarmed.

No laws were broken in the commission or writing of this post. And SmartCarry rocks.

I may change how I carry my phone just to avoid drawing attention and possibly giving someone the wrong impression.
    Why? Seems like it worked as a good deterrent this time.

Some people will say we should always abide by the intent of the company we work for. I understand that viewpoint and respect those that follow it. Personally, my priorities are this:

1) Taking care of my family, which by extension means also taking care of myself.

I don't give a damn about following the policies of some anti's, policies that give all the advantages to criminals or a crazed gunman. I don't even give a small damn about that. I'll quote Gabe Suarez again to sum up how I feel: "Being broke or in jail is temporary: being dead isn't."

For those that choose to follow every intention of your employer, good on ya. My life goals are to take care of my family and make it to the end of my life naturally. I have no interest in exiting early because some punk with a gun caught me unarmed.
    You and I are in the same boat pretty much. We used to, but don't currently have gate security. In the coming days, I'll be posting a recent memo put forth by the operations manager of my company and viewed only under lock and key through our communication stations throughout the plant. I asked for copies, but that was the wrong thing to do. I'll write it down word-for-word and convey it anyway. I drive 60 miles to and from my job each way. Company policy is not going to dictate to me that I travel to and from work 120 miles without at 4am and 7pm. Plain and simple. Inside the building is expressly forbidden and I plan on honoring that part. That is after all private property, but the parking lot is opened to the public 24/7. I don't know if this would ever give me an 'out' or not, and frankly don't care. Other states have passed laws concerning this matter and I wish ours would too.

Who's to say the company is 100% within their legal bounds in their intent or rules posted to the employee? The average employee is just another pathetic sheep following the herd and will accept company regs as the gospel truth when in fact many of those rules should be questioned in their own time and right by those who know better. We must remain silent in the interim while building our case for that odd day when things just won't fall into place and follow the given rules of the universe. I agree with you completely. But then again...my cover has never been blown. Good luck to you in everything you do.

Maybe he was making sure, in case that 1 knucklehead co-worker you guys have does any more foolishness (I'm just thinking...)
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I would keep your cell phone right where it is. It gives someone something to look at that you can easily explain away. My bet is that security guard was probably trying to figure out how you may be carrying from the moment that you confided into him that you had a CCW. When he finnally thought he found it, he only found an opertunity to embarrass himself. From now on, if a future employee who might somehow know that you have a CCW ever asks the security guard, the security guard will vouch for how you are a stand up guy and that lump on your side is just your cell phone.

Don't feel ashamed with revealling that you have a CCW either. I think you are exercising good judgement in hopes of winning another person to the world of legal conceal carry.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I make it a point to NEVER talk guns at work with anyone.Do you really trust any work acquaintence with your career? Concealed means just that. At least when dealing with law enforcement you get the miranda warning.Casual conversation with a co worker can simply cost you your job.Please... everybody be smart enough to shut up.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; September 14th, 2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Edited a language workaround.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    I make it a point to NEVER talk guns at work with anyone.Do you really trust any work acquaintence with your career? Concealed means just that...
    For someone who carries at work against company policy, I think your advice is excellent; does having-a-permit-and-carrying-at-OTHER-times-but-never-at-work change the advice?

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I would keep your cell phone right where it is. It gives someone something to look at that you can easily explain away. My bet is that security guard was probably trying to figure out how you may be carrying from the moment that you confided into him that you had a CCW. When he finnally thought he found it, he only found an opertunity to embarrass himself. From now on, if a future employee who might somehow know that you have a CCW ever asks the security guard, the security guard will vouch for how you are a stand up guy and that lump on your side is just your cell phone.

Don't feel ashamed with revealling that you have a CCW either. I think you are exercising good judgement in hopes of winning another person to the world of legal conceal carry.
    This is true...I have convinced six different individuals at school to get their CCW permit by sharing the importance of SD and the need to be armed in today's world...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

good post.

The moral of the story is; don't carry at 4:00. An for God's sake, don't carry at 4:00 in a firearms restricted work environment.

If you carry at 4:00, you print. You might not think you do, but you do.

I dont want people at work Knowing my personal life. I have nothing to hide but, people are opertunists.

My son had an issue at work because of an after work party, he made mention of this.

I go to work to make money not freinds. I do have aquantences though.

I do not know the company rules of the OP workplace. I assume it does not prohibit carrying.

One is honor and duty bound to obey the policies of the company for which he works. If he does not like the policy then find another job.
    If Saurez thinks different he is wrong, and I think his history indicates that if I have read the correct information about him.

I would hate to work at a place where I was so afraid of being killed that I would risk being fired for disobeying the rules of the one who pays my salary.

That is not being fair to the family to get fired and out of a job. You need not tell me that it saves your life as the odds are miniscule of getting shot unless you work in a "shop and rob" station. Just do not work there.

We claim to be honest upstanding citizens, but the attitude of not observing the company policy disputes that claim.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    If Saurez thinks different he is wrong, and I think his history indicates that if I have read the correct information about him.
    That was uncalled for.

To state a different opinion is one thing...to take a cheap shot at someone's past is another.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    That was uncalled for.

To state a different opinion is one thing...to take a cheap shot at someone's past is another.
    When and if he encourages disobeying company rules or laws, it is well deserved. Not a cheap shot, as one should be aware of the history of the one whom he quotes.

Everyone has to live with his past, and evidently he has not changed.

Best,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    I make it a point to NEVER talk guns at work with anyone.Do you really trust any work acquaintence with your career? Concealed means just that. At least when dealing with law enforcement you get the miranda warning.Casual conversation with a co worker can simply cost you your job.Please... everybody be smart enough to shut up.
    +1 on that!!...
    you never know when the ones you confided in will blurt out something stupid.
    Ive worked at a cpl of companies that when someone got fired or quit that they aired out all the "secrets" to management they had learned while they were there.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; September 14th, 2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Edited a language workaround in quote.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I'll echo Ram Rod's comments. There isn't ONE member of senior management who will attend my funeral or provide for my family if I cannot defend myself! Frankly, I won't give them that chance. Grady - I like Gabe's quote and plan to cite him going forward! You did the right thing!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links