Defensive Carry banner

Applying for North Carolina CCP Craziness!

7K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  Jettubby 
#1 ·
My father is applying for his CCP in Rowan county in NC. When he went to the Sheriff's office they told him he'd have to get a form signed by three local hospitals that he has not been comitted to any of them for mental reasons. ??? I've never heard of this requirement. So he sends the form off to the three hospitals and today he got one of the form retured from Rowan Regional Hospital saying that they had to have $5 to look up his file! Is this legal? What sort of silliness is this?

#8 ·
Here you go, hope this helps! GS_14-415.12

found it from handgunlaw.us maybe it's not what your looking for... i just glanced at it, but i'm sure that you can find your answers on that website :)

-Shane
Thanks for the reference. So I'm assuming they are asking for letters from the 3 hospitals closest to my father due to #3:
"The applicant does not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun."

This just doesn't make any sense. I'm surprised he doesn't have to get an affidavit from the local drug dealers saying that he is not a drug user.

In #6
"Is currently, or has been previously adjudicated by a court or administratively determined by a governmental agency whose decisions are subject to judicial review to be, lacking mental capacity or mentally ill."​
wouldn't it suffice to check local and federal records to see if the individual has been classified as mentally ill? It's just the dumbest thing I've ever heard of and I was told that Rowan Regional Medical Center is just sitting on these letters because their staff is anti-gun. They take forever getting these records back. This doesn't play very well in to a "must issue" state. This is more like a "maybe issue if you can get past all the anti-gunners and red tape". This just blows me away and I'm an LEO.

#5 ·
When I got mine in Guilford County that was all handled by the Sheriffs Department and the cost was covered in their fee.

Once I made my application to the Sheriff, I did nothing and was not contacted by anybody until the Sheriff called to say that my permit was ready to pick up.

All I had to do was fill out their forms, which included the names and addresses of my references, etc.

#7 ·
The silly thing is that my father did not put on the application that he has ever gone to any of these three hospitals. They must just assume since you live in Salisbury that if you have gone to a hospital for mental problems then he would have gone to one of these? How stupid is that? What if he went to a mental hospital the next city over or had just moved to Salisbury and went to a mental hospital in his old city or state?

Does anyone else not think this is absolutely ludicrous? That's like checking to see if you are felon and asking only three cops out of thousands if they personally know you are a felon. What is the point? :rolleyes:

#9 ·
well..

Well.... I'm 18 and I live in Maine. I sent in for my ccw permit and it took about 40 days of the 30 that it's supposed to take. But I didn't have to jump through any hoops. I simply filled out the about 6 page? application. Called after 30 days and they stated that I had passed all of my bg checks and that the lady who filled out the permits was on vacation and that I should get it by the end of the week... I didn't, but still received it later the next week. Either way i'm happy :). I'm sorry that your father has to jump through so many hoops... time to move? haha... good luck! maybe pick another hospital? I wonder if they would accept one from a different state? Would be interesting if you got a form from a hospital out in washington or something haha...

#22 ·
NO! Finish the class, take your certificate to Donnie's office, go to the second floor, 4 page application, go to the office next door and get printed - $10, go back to the permit office - $80, and wait for 3 to 6 weeks for your permit. None of this other BS.

Sorry to hear the trouble you other guys are having.

#12 ·
Pasquotank

Let me tell aout pasquotank county. I had to go the mental hospital get paperwork $15. Provide criminal records form every county I ever lived in $45. I had to get a physical from my doctor $10 copay. I had to take the course obviously $125. Then I had to submit all this to the sherriffs office and pay them $95. It has been almost 4 months and I havnt heard back from them. Im not sure what to do, Im afraid if I go down and start bitching they might not issue it to me.

#14 ·
Let me tell aout pasquotank county. I had to go the mental hospital get paperwork $15. Provide criminal records form every county I ever lived in $45. I had to get a physical from my doctor $10 copay. I had to take the course obviously $125. Then I had to submit all this to the sherriffs office and pay them $95. It has been almost 4 months and I havnt heard back from them. Im not sure what to do, Im afraid if I go down and start bitching they might not issue it to me.
That's just plain wrong. Who oversees these actions? The Attorney General?

#15 ·
It comes from the outdated "Jim Crow" laws in North Carolina that were written to give county sherrifs that ability to prevent minorities from possessing guns. There are no state standards, it's all left up to the county sherrifs.

I don't know the exact laws, but does North Carolina honor any other states' non-resident permits and are there any provision that those permits are not valid for actual residents of North Carolina?

#17 ·
#16 ·
Wow didnt have to do that here in Johnston county..

#19 ·
I'm seeing the problem being the particular counties Sheriff Department.

As I said in an earlier post, here in Guilford County once the class is done ($75) and you have your certificate (which is issued at completion of the class) the wait to get into the Sheriff is the hold up. I understand it is in excess of 5 weeks now due to the increase in applications.

After filling out the application with the references and paying the $95 fee at the Sheriffs Department the applicant does nothing else except wait for up to 90 days. At the time of application they tell you that they have 90 days to either issue or inform you why it was denied.

#21 ·
Routine wait in Catawba County. Took the class and applied at the Sheriff's office. They only accept apps 3 days a week and it costs $90. I did have to fill out about 6 forms, including a release to allow them to ask the local mental health authority about me. Had nothing to do with the hospitals. The NC law does not require hospital checks....but each county Sheriff has their own process according to how the local Mental Health system works. I work in the MH field....in a hospital and I have never been asked to respond to such a request and they would come across my desk. Took about 8 weeks for mine. I am having my wife practice before taking the CCW class this Fall.

#23 ·
I got my permit in Wake County 3 years ago and it was relatively easy, just took the class, filled out the paper work for the Sheriff and waited to hear back. Unless something has changed in Wake County since then, Sheriff Harrison does not require any rediculous medical reports or metal health forms.

#29 ·
I have never heard of this, but I have read that some states may require a psychological evaluation.

Couldn't he just take the form in person to get signed? It would be faster.

This all sounds like an attempt to stall the application process. The FBI background check can provide all of that information. I heard that they dig pretty deep.

#30 ·
Based on the posts above this sounds like a county to county issue. It's real silly and if you ask me it's a deal the local Sheriff has worked with the hospital to get the hospitals an extra $15 per app. Aparently there is a stack of apps on the hospital secretary's desk. A nice little extra cash and stall tactic for a worthless local policy. :-(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.