Applying for North Carolina CCP Craziness!

This is a discussion on Applying for North Carolina CCP Craziness! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My father is applying for his CCP in Rowan county in NC. When he went to the Sheriff's office they told him he'd have to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying for North Carolina CCP Craziness!

My father is applying for his CCP in Rowan county in NC. When he went to the Sheriff's office they told him he'd have to get a form signed by three local hospitals that he has not been comitted to any of them for mental reasons. ??? I've never heard of this requirement. So he sends the form off to the three hospitals and today he got one of the form retured from Rowan Regional Hospital saying that they had to have $5 to look up his file! Is this legal? What sort of silliness is this?

I had to go through the same process in Buncombe County, but I think the cost from one hospital was $15.00. Legal, yes; silly, YES. john

here you go

Here you go, hope this helps! GS_14-415.12

found it from handgunlaw.us maybe it's not what your looking for... i just glanced at it, but i'm sure that you can find your answers on that website :-)

-Shane

Didnt have to do that in Guilford Co. But I did have to give my doctor $5 to release my records from them, but the Sheriff office contacted them I didnt have to. Hine site I could have left them off the list b/c I dont visit rugularly but oh well it was only $5

When I got mine in Guilford County that was all handled by the Sheriffs Department and the cost was covered in their fee.

Once I made my application to the Sheriff, I did nothing and was not contacted by anybody until the Sheriff called to say that my permit was ready to pick up.

All I had to do was fill out their forms, which included the names and addresses of my references, etc.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

VIP Member
    That is how it is done, in craven county there is only one place to get that cert from and it did cost $5.
    I also had to go get a copy of my DD-214.

The silly thing is that my father did not put on the application that he has ever gone to any of these three hospitals. They must just assume since you live in Salisbury that if you have gone to a hospital for mental problems then he would have gone to one of these? How stupid is that? What if he went to a mental hospital the next city over or had just moved to Salisbury and went to a mental hospital in his old city or state?

Does anyone else not think this is absolutely ludicrous? That's like checking to see if you are felon and asking only three cops out of thousands if they personally know you are a felon. What is the point?

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    Here you go, hope this helps! GS_14-415.12

found it from handgunlaw.us maybe it's not what your looking for... i just glanced at it, but i'm sure that you can find your answers on that website :-)

-Shane
    Thanks for the reference. So I'm assuming they are asking for letters from the 3 hospitals closest to my father due to #3:
    "The applicant does not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun."

This just doesn't make any sense. I'm surprised he doesn't have to get an affidavit from the local drug dealers saying that he is not a drug user.

In #6
    "Is currently, or has been previously adjudicated by a court or administratively determined by a governmental agency whose decisions are subject to judicial review to be, lacking mental capacity or mentally ill."
    wouldn't it suffice to check local and federal records to see if the individual has been classified as mentally ill? It's just the dumbest thing I've ever heard of and I was told that Rowan Regional Medical Center is just sitting on these letters because their staff is anti-gun. They take forever getting these records back. This doesn't play very well in to a "must issue" state. This is more like a "maybe issue if you can get past all the anti-gunners and red tape". This just blows me away and I'm an LEO.

well..

Well.... I'm 18 and I live in Maine. I sent in for my ccw permit and it took about 40 days of the 30 that it's supposed to take. But I didn't have to jump through any hoops. I simply filled out the about 6 page? application. Called after 30 days and they stated that I had passed all of my bg checks and that the lady who filled out the permits was on vacation and that I should get it by the end of the week... I didn't, but still received it later the next week. Either way i'm happy :-). I'm sorry that your father has to jump through so many hoops... time to move? haha... good luck! maybe pick another hospital? I wonder if they would accept one from a different state? Would be interesting if you got a form from a hospital out in washington or something haha...

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Dang down here in SC its just a bg check and thats it. sorry your dad is having to go thru all of that.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Anybody know if it like that in Wake County too? I'm taking my CHL class in October and will be applying shortly after that.
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

Pasquotank

Let me tell aout pasquotank county. I had to go the mental hospital get paperwork $15. Provide criminal records form every county I ever lived in $45. I had to get a physical from my doctor $10 copay. I had to take the course obviously $125. Then I had to submit all this to the sherriffs office and pay them $95. It has been almost 4 months and I havnt heard back from them. Im not sure what to do, Im afraid if I go down and start bitching they might not issue it to me.

Some of our laws and some of our sheriffs are an embarrassment to us all.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bjd1020 View Post
    Let me tell aout pasquotank county. I had to go the mental hospital get paperwork $15. Provide criminal records form every county I ever lived in $45. I had to get a physical from my doctor $10 copay. I had to take the course obviously $125. Then I had to submit all this to the sherriffs office and pay them $95. It has been almost 4 months and I havnt heard back from them. Im not sure what to do, Im afraid if I go down and start bitching they might not issue it to me.
    That's just plain wrong. Who oversees these actions? The Attorney General?

It comes from the outdated "Jim Crow" laws in North Carolina that were written to give county sherrifs that ability to prevent minorities from possessing guns. There are no state standards, it's all left up to the county sherrifs.

I don't know the exact laws, but does North Carolina honor any other states' non-resident permits and are there any provision that those permits are not valid for actual residents of North Carolina?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links