When would you carry again?

This is a discussion on When would you carry again? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I'm 4 1/2 weeks out from shoulder surgery and I can finally get my right arm up to shoulder level but not very fast ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When would you carry again?

When would you carry again?

OK, I'm 4 1/2 weeks out from shoulder surgery and I can finally get my right arm up to shoulder level but not very fast and certainly not without pain. I haven't been able to carry since the surgery, first because of the drugs (still on them ) and also with the limited range of motion. My question is at what point would you start carrying again? I have practiced left handed and know I can handle/fire my primary carry gun but I have no way to carry and draw safely so that's not really an option but I'm having gun withdrawal's.
    Thanks,
    Rock

2. Remove Ads

Sorry, but your only option is to stay home until you can do a completely safe draw.

Nah, don't know what to tell you about that. I had back surgery last year, but I was stuck in my house for 6 weeks. Then I was able to start traveling again.

I was shooting after about 10 weeks total. Rehab lasted a lot longer, but I had to see if carrying and shooting was going to affect me.

Back to normal now. Don't rush it!! From what I saw during my PT, shoulders are MUCH harder to rehab than a discectomy on the lower back.

Good luck!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

You don't want to aggravate what you just got fixed. As soon as you could draw and fire compentently and without pain. I believe you'd have to work up to it along with your physical therapy.

.....and be patient. This is a good excuse to work on some weak side drills. :)
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    I would carry as soon as I could draw again. Your close range self defense shootings are very likely to be close enough range you don't need to aim, or are even at a disadvantage to put your gun out at arms length.

I wouldn't practice, of course until your doc says "OK", but as for carrying... you are only going to use it when your life is in danger anyway. I would rather have the doctor repair the shoulder again than not have my gun and really need it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Go to PT. Let the PRO's tell you what and when. Don't take the chance of screwing it up. Just be aware of you surroundings and avoid bad areas. Stay alert and avoid.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Why not practice with your other hand?

tk

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    asap hope you recover well

PM
    +1 for paul45; why mess up what you and your insurance have paid for!! Yeah, practice your weak side draw and maybe find a cheap holster weak side carry?!?

Or just mexican carry on weak side?!?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockusaf View Post
    OK, I'm 4 1/2 weeks out from shoulder surgery and I can finally get my right arm up to shoulder level but not very fast and certainly not without pain. I haven't been able to carry since the surgery, first because of the drugs (still on them ) and also with the limited range of motion. My question is at what point would you start carrying again? I have practiced left handed and know I can handle/fire my primary carry gun but I have no way to carry and draw safely so that's not really an option but I'm having gun withdrawal's.
    I'd rather have the gun then no gun. I don't recall the member, but I remember a man who was wheel chair bound who carried despite his disability.

I had shoulder surgery in March, and just like you, I couldn't raise my arm up to shoulder height for awhile. I wasn't even supposed to move my arm for 6 weeks.
    I went shooting for the first time at 9 weeks. It hurt, but only lasted for a little while. My dry firing exercises worked great, because they were right along with the exercises I did in Therapy

How about learning how to shoot left-handed? I don't mean to appear flip, but I have picked up a few left handed holsters just to learn how to draw, shoot, and reload left-handed--just in case.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'd carry regardless. If you don't/can't carry on your weak side then you have two options. You can either not carry at all or just carry strong side. I think if your life depends upon it, you'll be able to draw and fire that gun. It might hurt like hell, but if it's your life at risk, busting the shoulder up again is worth being alive.
    "I play for keeps."

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    I would carry as soon as I could draw again. Your close range self defense shootings are very likely to be close enough range you don't need to aim, or are even at a disadvantage to put your gun out at arms length.

I wouldn't practice, of course until your doc says "OK", but as for carrying... you are only going to use it when your life is in danger anyway. I would rather have the doctor repair the shoulder again than not have my gun and really need it.
    Couldn't agree more...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you can draw and fire, working through the pain, I would carry. It wouldn't matter to me that I damaged something in my shoulder when drawing to preserve life.

If you cannot draw at all because you simply couldn't force your arm to move despite the pain, you may want to consider temporarily carrying weak-side.

Now if you're on drugs that alters your mind, that's a different story.

VIP Member
    I've had shoulder surgery... it sure hurts and takes some time to heal with physical therapy.

Your physical terrorist, ah, I mean therapist, can tell you when you can start shooting again.

I chose to purchase a left handed (I'm a righty) inexpensive IWB holster to tide me over and carried my G-27 at 10:30 or so once off the drugs.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links