Sooo, what do you with your strong side?

This is a discussion on Sooo, what do you with your strong side? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thumper I've gotten in the habit of carrying almost everything in my off hand, even my keys. Sometimes you can use a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sooo, what do you with your strong side?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I've gotten in the habit of carrying almost everything in my off hand, even my keys. Sometimes you can use a cart.

But, if all else fails, drop everything. It's sort of a no brainer!
    my thoughts exactly, groceies are hitting the ground.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

2. Remove Ads

You have a couple of options.
    1. Carry only items in you left hand.
    2. Drop or throw at the perp what every you have in your right hand. Good tactical option but hard on the pocket book.
    3. Carry a bug for your left hand.

I use all these options depending on the situation and glad you are thinking about these type of things.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Need be, I can drop anything I'm carrying. I just don't think that it's that important to keep my strong hand completely empty/free/ready-to-go every second of every day. Heck, if I'm carrying too much on my weak side, I'm unbalanced and probably not in any better shape to react to a situation anyways.

I also tend to think that favoring my strong side tends to telegraph that I'm carrying. Something that I prefer not to do.

Just my .02.
    Last edited by David in FL; September 15th, 2008 at 10:40 AM.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    I'm coming out of Safeway with a load of groceries in my arms. Just one bag. So, practicing good opsec, I look over my shoulder and check the cars in front of me. I'm carrying. Suddenly, it dawns on me. If I get jumped, my strong side is carrying a bag of tomatoes. So, what do you do with your strong side?
    Just a side note: This is actually situational awareness not Operational Security or OPSEC. OPSEC would be keeping a close hold on who knows you CCW, info about your security plan, routes, rules of engagement, etc...
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member
    How long does it take to drop something? Maybe a half second? Drop it !!

Senior Moderator
    I too carry with my weak hand most of the time. When I have too carry with my strong hand it I will throw whatever object at the BG while going for my gun.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Just a side note .. If you are forced to unburden yourself NEVER drop what you are holding . Pitch it away from you and away from the direction you are going to move ( get off the X ) . The last thing you want is items underfoot to trip on as you move .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    drop what ever I have and or throw it at the BG then back away and try to put distance between me and BG
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I prefer my draw to be more discrete. Announcing to the world that you're pulling a pistol by dropping a load of groceries is anything but. It could even make you look like the aggressor by casual observers.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Moderator
    Use whatever is in your strong side as am improvised weapon.

If I have to carry anything in my strong hand I make sure it's lighter but HARD so if I have to swing it at a bad guy it rattles their noodle before I let it go and go for my other defensive tools.

For instance.. groceries.. in my left hand will be the bread and eggs and such, but in my right hand will be the canned goods. You take a swing at someone with two or three cans of Campbells soup in a plastic bag and if they are smart they are going to back up, if they are stupid they are going to get those cans upside their head or body and it's going to hurt. Not to mention buy you a little time and space to drop them and create more distance, and if necessary, draw other defensive tools.

And heck, he doesn't know you have tomatoes in the bag. Swing those at him anyway. For all he may know it's a brick. More than likely he'll step back providing you with much needed distance, therefore more time to draw.

I don't buy just outright dropping whatever it is that is in your hands (if you are forced to carry something strong side in the first place). That's a HUGE cue that your responding. If, however, you use what's in your hands first, you may throw your attacker off guard.

Granted if what you are carrying is too heavy to swing or too precious to use as a tool (say, your child), then it's time to reevaluate your decision making paradigm.

Carry non-defense items weak hand side.

As for dropping or swinging. I agree that the items dropped at your feet would be a possible trip hazard. You don't want that. I also agree that they will telegraph that you have something more important to do with that hand. The cover garment going back and a firearm appearing in it do that too, so I don't think that is a problem. Using the bag with it's contents as a swinging weapon, not so sure about the logistics of that. There is a lot of windup in using one of those for a swing weapon. Even if the contents stayed in the bag until the swing has connected, it would be a long and clumsy move. Much better to just lose it or not carry anything at all.

The cart is really a good idea. Put it between vehicles and open a door on your car and you are barricaded into an area that will protect you from direct physical contact. It also traps you from escape. One member detailed how he knew he was being shadowed and used a cart between cars to keep one wolf at bay while he turned on the other. That was a very effective move and one I remember always while leaving any store.

Summary:Cart=GOOD, free strong hand=GOOD, keeping your brain engaged while living in a dangerous world=PRICELESS
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Make the wife go for groceries.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

If I can't carry it ALL in my weak hand, then I push a cart. If BG approaches, I can have both hands to draw weapon and my tomatoes are safe in the cart instead of crushed where thrown.......

Use a cart! It doesn't matter if you have a gallon of milk or many bags, use a cart. The cart can be used as a barrier against an attack. I had a student that worked nights and would do her shopping on the way home late at night. I told her a cart makes a nice movable barrier giving you time to draw your gun if you have to.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links