carry options for a skinny guy.

This is a discussion on carry options for a skinny guy. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a relatively short 5'5" guy and very skinny, so I don't have whole smoking lot of bulk with which to conceal, and in light ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm a relatively short 5'5" guy and very skinny, so I don't have whole smoking lot of bulk with which to conceal, and in light clothing (I live in the deep south, so it get's hotter than blue blazes here) I've nothing but trouble keeping my weapon from printing. This is esp common when I bend over for some reason, or twist too far to one side (i.e. reaching and grabbing something off of a shelf).

Ever since I got my CCL I have only been able to carry in the winter, and even then I tend to go with a smaller pistol than I like.

My favorite pistol is my Kimber Compact CDP II, which is an officers style 1911 with a four inch barrel... but I rarely carry it in favor of my Walther PPK in .380 which is a good deal easier for me to conceal.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could get either one squirreled away on my person where it doesn't print, but I can still get at it in a pinch?

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Wear plaid. Hawaiian screams gun.

Welcome to the forum.

In FL it gets pretty hot and humid. I have no problem CCW'ing either of my two Kimbers, an Ultra or the Compact, at times a Glock-36.

Your problem may be not wearing a large enough T-shirt. I always wear a 'wifebeater' under a size larger than normal T-shirt to keep the weapon from touching my skin and easily prevent printing.

I also use a regular T-shirt under an open print shirt (Hawaiian)...common in FL... no 'screaming' down here.
    I use Fist IWB holsters, and each has a body protector.

Stay armed...'loosen up'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    I'm a relatively short 5'5" guy and very skinny, so I don't have whole smoking lot of bulk with which to conceal, and in light clothing (I live in the deep south, so it get's hotter than blue blazes here) I've nothing but trouble keeping my weapon from printing. This is esp common when I bend over for some reason, or twist too far to one side (i.e. reaching and grabbing something off of a shelf).

Ever since I got my CCL I have only been able to carry in the winter, and even then I tend to go with a smaller pistol than I like.

My favorite pistol is my Kimber Compact CDP II, which is an officers style 1911 with a four inch barrel... but I rarely carry it in favor of my Walther PPK in .380 which is a good deal easier for me to conceal.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could get either one squirreled away on my person where it doesn't print, but I can still get at it in a pinch?

Legally speaking you are OK if you print in Georgia. As long as you have your CCL there is nothing to worry about legally.

For your "I have a gun, and everybody in the world knows and is staring at me jitters" they will pass. To be honest, people really don't even notice (and I OC sometimes to boot). Just think back to when you were a non-CCer, if you saw a bulge in someones shirt, you didn't automatically assume it was a gun did you? Most people are oblivious to their surroundings. So I think you are ok. Just gotta get over those jitters, which will happen in time.

Also, next time you're out for some new shirts, get a size too big, thats generally what I do when I CC.

As has been stated,just wear a larger shirt.I am also a small guy at 5 ft 5 and 150 lbs.I carry a glock g-19 in a don hume belt holster,can't stand iwbs.untucked,and no one notices.I carry in a model 721 open top ot a jit model.I've been carrying since 96 and never been made yet.sj

Get a Smartcarry......best hot weather, skinny guy method around.

I'm 5'9'-160 pounds and I carry an M&P 45 that way in the Tennessee heat with shorts and a t shirt.

Best $50 you'll spend.

Senior Moderator
    Being 6'3" and weighing a whooping 145lbs, I must say get a SmartCarry.

Try it and thank me later
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

same reason i'm looking at a keltec or lcp for pcoket carry
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    get a better holster and a bigger shirt.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I agree about Smartcarry and a Keltec P3AT or a the new Ruger LCP. If you choose either gun, shoot at least 200 rounds of a good defensive round to ensure reliability. When you find a load that feeds well shoot it often enough to get to know how it's recoil feels, how far from point of aim does it shoot, etc.

My P3AT shoots reliably with the Speer Gold-Dot Personal Protection as well as Winchester white box hard ball.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You don't explain how you currently carry, but this is what works for me. I carry a Kimber Pro Carry HD II which also is a 1911 type with 4" Bbl. I use a Sparks VM 2 at the 3:00 position. Here is where a T shirt tends to hang away from the body due to the width of the shoulders. I wear a shirt about 1 size larger which hangs even freer and conceals better. I've found that dark colors also hide better, so I tend to wear black or navy blue.
    Don't feel bad about your extreme thinness. Your chances of getting diabetes or high blood pressure are virtually nil.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

concealed

The first thing is to decide to carry and put up with a little inconvenience. Buy a good holster and a belt that matches that are made for you. I use a local guy for belts and FIST FIST, Inc. For a good holster with a sweat shield. It's got to be a system that fits or it won't be comfortable. Get some good Hawiian shirts, or the Latin style Guyabarras to be a bit dressier. A couple of t shirts a bit biger than usual for everything else. My everyday FL cary guns include a Glock 19, a Glock 17, HK P7, and a 5" 1911 .45.

And as for printing, probably you are the only one who notices that you print. Most of the rest of the world does not even notice you exist, much less what your belt line loks like. Actually, that's probably the way you want it.

what I carry

Hello, i weigh 135 pounds, and i'm 5'8"!! haha, I'm very skinny and I carry my HK usp compact without any printing of any kind, i mean NONE! What I use is a smart carry, but I do not carry it they way that it describes because I don't like the lump in the center of my pants (ok off center a lil) what I do is wrap the straps around the top of my hip bones, thus allowing them to be looser and more comfy. The guns entire handle rests above my shorts or jeans as well as the mag. I can draw easier and it is so comfortable that I don't even know it's there. Some people will say that with this method if you bend over it will cut into your gut, but it doesn't. This is the absolute best method that I have found for concealing my pistol. I can wear anything as long as the shirt comes down below my belly button (not a hard thing!) haha :-)

although if you want an iwb holster (seeing as the smart carry takes a vastly different approach... personally***** i like these Reinforced mouth IWB Holster and this BOOM-STICK HOLSTERS - IWB Holsters and the Milt Sparks Holsters VM2 i can't give you a link direct to it.... these are slightly more expensive but in my opinion they are worth it for the quality that you will receive!

An other vote for Smartcarry it's my summer holster. Wear pleated shorts with deep crotch, let weapon sit low as possible. Very comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links