CARELESS: Lancaster man arrested after child finds his gun

This is a discussion on CARELESS: Lancaster man arrested after child finds his gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ahh, news from my town.... It never ceases to amaze me what folks around here manage to do.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CARELESS: Lancaster man arrested after child finds his gun

Ahh, news from my town....

It never ceases to amaze me what folks around here manage to do....

2. Remove Ads

I've read of people having them drop out onto couches on this forum when using the cheap uncle mikes holsters... my guess is cheap holster or lose pocket carry and it slid right out.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by joemess View Post
    Ahh, news from my town....

It never ceases to amaze me what folks around here manage to do....
    Was this you?

FORT MILL -- An early-morning naked dip in an apartment complex swimming pool landed two "grossly intoxicated" people in jail, according to police.
    Richard Earl Branham Jr., 46, of Chester and Melissa Jane Fuller, 44, of Fort Mill were charged with public disorderly conduct after police say they took off their clothes and went swimming around 1:20 a.m. Saturday at the Palmetto Place apartments pool on S.C. 160.

The police report notes authorities saw Branham and Fuller completely naked in the pool. Police handed the pair their clothes and had them exit the pool area after dressing, according to the report.

Both had slurred speech, red eyes and smelled of alcohol, the report notes.

Branham told police he worked with Fuller and that they had been drinking at an office party, according to the report. It notes that Branham was "grossly intoxicated," and Fuller was "even more grossly intoxicated."

Bond was set at $262.50 for Branham, but he remained in custody Saturday on an unrelated charge at York County Detention Center. Fuller posted bond Saturday afternoon.
    I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Although all of the information is probably not been available, this guys seems like living proof that there's not enough chlorine in the gene pool. If the evidence does prove that he was negligent, his permit should be lifted and never given back. He put a lot of people at risk, including those of us who carry responsibly. How in the hell do you drop your weapon and not know it? As a group who is judged harshly by incomplete and often inaccurate information, maybe we ought to give the guy the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are in, but on the surface, it sure sounds like this guy shouldn't be carrying plastic tableware much less a lethal weapon.
    . i live within 15 miles of this and i can verify theres definantly not enough chlorine in the gene pool around here.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stargzer View Post
    He just might lose his previlege to carry concealed, after this fiasco.
    I hope so...

Rick

How do he not know that he did not have his firearm? Some people should not be allowed to own firearms. This guy is one of them. The little girl who found it did the right thing by contacting an adult, but she should not have touched it.

Things like this make the rest of the CCW permit holders look bad. This kind of publicity we don't need. I hope the authorities throw the book at this guy.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

He needs to dealt with the same harshness that the k-9 officer got when he left his gun on a play ground a month or so ago.
    And blamed it on his dog.

Unfortunately, being stupid is not against the law. However, for us law abiding, CCL holders who try to do the right thing, this is not good.

DUH! is right.

It was a plastic gun. Duh......
    Keep your powder dry

VIP Member
    Thank you Mr. Roberts!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Lots of you guys are saying "How could he NOT notice he dropped it?"

Gimme a break here, haven't you guys ever dropped something and not noticed it? I've lost wallets, watches, cell phones, etc, etc. Never lost my carry gun and I hope I never do, but heck, anything is possible.

The offender's biggest mistakes are dropping it in a playground and going into the playground in the first place.

Yeah, it's definitely a stupid move, but if the guys had the gun in pocket-carry in pants with shallow pockets, then it's easy to see how it could fall out.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying it's OK to drop/lose your gun! I'm just saying I can understand how it could happen.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post

Gimme a break here, haven't you guys ever dropped something and not noticed it? I've lost wallets, watches, cell phones, etc, etc. Never lost my carry gun and I hope I never do, but heck, anything is possible.

The offender's biggest mistakes are dropping it in a playground and going into the playground in the first place.

Yeah, it's definitely a stupid move, but if the guys had the gun in pocket-carry in pants with shallow pockets, then it's easy to see how it could fall out.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying it's OK to drop/lose your gun! I'm just saying I can understand how it could happen.
    Agree 100%. We are all human and can do some extremely stupid stuff.

I also agree with you when you say "I'm NOT saying it's OK to drop/lose your gun!".

When you decide to take on the responsibility of carrying a gun, you are . . . well . . . responsible for it.

It is your responsibility to make sure that the firearm is secure. Failing to do this can result in a tragedy.

This guy didn't live up to that responsibility.

This should be a wake up call to all of us that we can't be lax about carrying a gun . . . EVER!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by NYcarry View Post
    How the heck do you not notice you dropped your firearm or not know it's missing?
    how do you drop your gun at a play ground to begin with..this is just as stupid as the guy that left his gun in the shopping cart at the store parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post

i have lost keys and cell phone but found them with in 24hours however i always touch the grip of my gun when entering and leaving any area that i walk around in.it keeps me from loosing it along w/not taking it out of my holster untill i get home.i dont care much for pocket pistols in general.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

I have always given the area my gun is being carried at a periodic inadvertent squeeze. Usually nothing more than my arm to my side, or crossing them in front of me as the case may be depending on how I'm carrying. I've never really known why I do that, but I'll keep doing it...even though I can't honestly see how I could ever just inadvertently lose my gun! It's kinda hard not to notice the weight or protrusion, or at the very least the difference in feel when it is gone.

Unless of course he was carrying one of those pocket derringers. Then maybe I could see it a little easier. My habit would probably have me periodically palming it in my pocket for whatever reason, though.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links