Defensive Carry banner

CARELESS: Lancaster man arrested after child finds his gun

2K views 28 replies 28 participants last post by  380ACP 
#1 ·
The Herald | HeraldOnline.com - Lancaster man arrested after child finds his gun - Rock Hill, SC

The Herald

Lancaster man arrested after child finds his gun

By Charles D. Perry · The Herald

Updated 09/15/08 - 7:10 AM |

A Lancaster man was arrested over the weekend after he left his loaded pistol at a Fort Mill playground and a 7-year-old girl found it, according to a York County Sheriff’s Office report.
A deputy was called to Plaza Fiesta just after 1:45 p.m. Saturday by a man who said a 7-year-old girl had given him a gun that she found on the playground.

The weapon was fully loaded when the girl discovered it, the report stated.

Later, 31-year-old Anthony Roberts asked a security guard if he could have his gun back, the report stated. Roberts told the sheriff’s deputy that he had his gun on the playground and must have dropped it when he went to get his son.

Roberts has a concealed weapons permit, but signs at the entrances to Plaza Fiesta said no weapons were allowed, the report stated. Roberts was charged with trespassing after notice because he brought the gun into Plaza Fiesta.
:twak: More ammo for the antis.:spankme:

#28 ·
how do you drop your gun at a play ground to begin with..this is just as stupid as the guy that left his gun in the shopping cart at the store parking lot.:aargh4:

Lots of you guys are saying "How could he NOT notice he dropped it?"

Gimme a break here, haven't you guys ever dropped something and not noticed it? I've lost wallets, watches, cell phones, etc, etc. Never lost my carry gun and I hope I never do, but heck, anything is possible.

The offender's biggest mistakes are dropping it in a playground and going into the playground in the first place.

Yeah, it's definitely a stupid move, but if the guys had the gun in pocket-carry in pants with shallow pockets, then it's easy to see how it could fall out.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying it's OK to drop/lose your gun! I'm just saying I can understand how it could happen.
i have lost keys and cell phone but found them with in 24hours however i always touch the grip of my gun when entering and leaving any area that i walk around in.it keeps me from loosing it along w/not taking it out of my holster untill i get home.i dont care much for pocket pistols in general.

#3 ·
I could have gone my whole life without hearing that. How do you not know? That is how children get a hold of one and the rest is on the news to make Gun owners look irresponsible.I hope he owns up to his mistake

#5 ·
Many people that carry dont know the importance of a good holster..They think a generic holster off the shelf is all you need.
I could see if someone carried a small gun that they could loose track of it if not carried properly. The article doesnt say what size gun it was.
Hope the guy changes his ways of carrying.

#7 ·
Roberts was charged with trespassing after notice because he brought the gun into Plaza Fiesta.
Take note of this charge. In SC the signs, if proper, are proper notice and no additional notification is required. In other words unlike other states where signs do not mean anything in SC they do not have to ask you to leave. If the signs are legal and you go anyway then you are already trespassing and can be arrested.

#12 ·
I am sure he will now be subject to a few other possible charges. I am not fluent with SC law but in TX that would leave you open for leaving a firearm where accessable to children. The implications between the tresspassing and other charges will probably get him a license revocation.

#13 ·
Although all of the information is probably not been available, this guys seems like living proof that there's not enough chlorine in the gene pool. If the evidence does prove that he was negligent, his permit should be lifted and never given back. He put a lot of people at risk, including those of us who carry responsibly. How in the hell do you drop your weapon and not know it? As a group who is judged harshly by incomplete and often inaccurate information, maybe we ought to give the guy the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are in, but on the surface, it sure sounds like this guy shouldn't be carrying plastic tableware much less a lethal weapon.

#18 ·
Ahh, news from my town....

It never ceases to amaze me what folks around here manage to do....
Was this you? :nono:

FORT MILL -- An early-morning naked dip in an apartment complex swimming pool landed two "grossly intoxicated" people in jail, according to police.
Richard Earl Branham Jr., 46, of Chester and Melissa Jane Fuller, 44, of Fort Mill were charged with public disorderly conduct after police say they took off their clothes and went swimming around 1:20 a.m. Saturday at the Palmetto Place apartments pool on S.C. 160.

The police report notes authorities saw Branham and Fuller completely naked in the pool. Police handed the pair their clothes and had them exit the pool area after dressing, according to the report.

Both had slurred speech, red eyes and smelled of alcohol, the report notes.

Branham told police he worked with Fuller and that they had been drinking at an office party, according to the report. It notes that Branham was "grossly intoxicated," and Fuller was "even more grossly intoxicated."

Bond was set at $262.50 for Branham, but he remained in custody Saturday on an unrelated charge at York County Detention Center. Fuller posted bond Saturday afternoon.
I couldn't resist. :rofl::haha:

#21 ·
How do he not know that he did not have his firearm? Some people should not be allowed to own firearms. This guy is one of them. The little girl who found it did the right thing by contacting an adult, but she should not have touched it.

Things like this make the rest of the CCW permit holders look bad. This kind of publicity we don't need. I hope the authorities throw the book at this guy.

#26 ·

Gimme a break here, haven't you guys ever dropped something and not noticed it? I've lost wallets, watches, cell phones, etc, etc. Never lost my carry gun and I hope I never do, but heck, anything is possible.

The offender's biggest mistakes are dropping it in a playground and going into the playground in the first place.

Yeah, it's definitely a stupid move, but if the guys had the gun in pocket-carry in pants with shallow pockets, then it's easy to see how it could fall out.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying it's OK to drop/lose your gun! I'm just saying I can understand how it could happen.

#27 ·

Agree 100%. We are all human and can do some extremely stupid stuff.

I also agree with you when you say "I'm NOT saying it's OK to drop/lose your gun!".

When you decide to take on the responsibility of carrying a gun, you are . . . well . . . responsible for it.

It is your responsibility to make sure that the firearm is secure. Failing to do this can result in a tragedy.

This guy didn't live up to that responsibility.

This should be a wake up call to all of us that we can't be lax about carrying a gun . . . EVER!

#29 ·
I have always given the area my gun is being carried at a periodic inadvertent squeeze. Usually nothing more than my arm to my side, or crossing them in front of me as the case may be depending on how I'm carrying. I've never really known why I do that, but I'll keep doing it...even though I can't honestly see how I could ever just inadvertently lose my gun! It's kinda hard not to notice the weight or protrusion, or at the very least the difference in feel when it is gone.

Unless of course he was carrying one of those pocket derringers. Then maybe I could see it a little easier. My habit would probably have me periodically palming it in my pocket for whatever reason, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.