FL Non Res Permit Question

This is a discussion on FL Non Res Permit Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at applying for a FL Non res permit. I already have a CWP from SC but want to pick up more states ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FL Non Res Permit Question

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

I am looking at applying for a FL Non res permit. I already have a CWP from SC but want to pick up more states to carry in. Whats the cost of applying for one and also what states is it honored in if I might ask.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Florida permits are currently honored in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Wyoming. Note: Colorado, Kansas, Michigan, New Hampshire & West Virginia honor Florida permits only if held by Florida residents.
    Florida charges $117.00 to process your application (plus fingerprint fees).

Check out getting a NH permit. It may not cover quite as many as FL but is only $20 and only thing needed is the application. If it covers the states you need (GA in particular) it is a much simpler solution.

There's also UT, which also picks you up MN and WA. Your training needs to be through a UT certified instructor, unlike FL which will take an NRA class.
    FL is now good for 7 years though.
    Like FN1910 said,NH is only $20, I just got mine and it only took 1 month.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

XD, hopefully the recent news about expanded reciprocity for SC will end up fulfilling your wish to be allowed to carry in more places... but for now, you might as well get at least a NH or UT permit. The FL permit is over-priced, even if it is one of the "best" ones available.

I forgot to mention, as of this June, newly issued Florida CWPs are good for 7 years.

As far as i can tell the only states that the FL permit would provide over the SC-NH combo is NV and DE. That is if the WV and VA reciprocity is agreed upon for SC as is expected.

Keep in mind reciprocity with FL is largely based on condition of the FL lic. holder being a _resident_.
    Reciprocity through FL against a non-resident such as the OP varies as based on the reciprocity agreement between Florida and the third state to visit (e.g. Alabama) and that states own view toward reciprocity.
    Verification of ones home state/residence is based on your drivers license.
    Having a FL non-resident carry license is not the same in multi-state carry reciprocity as having same being a resident. Same and similar applies to other states that issue non-resident carry licenses/permits, contrary to popular belief.

To learn more and the specifics of FL reciprocity go here, and be very sure to take note of the whole of what is stated and not just eyeball the state listing and think you're done.

FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES
    Alabama (1,3,5)
    Alaska (1)
    Arizona (6,7)
    Arkansas (1)
    Colorado (1,4)
    Delaware
    Georgia (1)
    Idaho (3,6)
    Indiana (1,3,6)
    Kansas (1,4)
    Kentucky
    Louisiana (1)
    Michigan (1,4)
    Mississippi (1)
    Missouri (1)
    Montana (3)
    Nevada (1,6)
    New Hampshire (1,3,4,6)
    New Mexico (1)
    North Carolina (1)
    North Dakota (3,6)
    Ohio (1)
    Oklahoma (1)
    Pennsylvania (1,6)
    South Carolina (1,4)
    South Dakota (1,3)
    Tennessee (1,6)
    Texas (1,3,6)
    Utah (1,6)
    Vermont (2)
    Virginia (1,6)
    West Virginia (1,4)
    Wyoming (1,3)

(3) Individuals qualify for concealed weapon licenses in these states upon reaching 18 years of age. HOWEVER, any licensee of these reciprocity states who is not 21 years of age or older IS PROHIBITED from carrying a concealed weapon or firearm in Florida.

(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

(5) The Attorney General's Office of the State of ALABAMA has indicated that Alabama will honor BOTH resident and non-resident Florida licenses. However, the Alabama Attorney General notes that there is some uncertainty as to the limits of Alabama's reciprocity law as it pertains to non-resident licenses. Pending clarification by the Alabama Legislature or a decision by an Alabama court, he urges non-resident Florida license holders to exercise caution. Refer to the Alabama AG's Web page for the latest information.

(6) These states issue concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals who are non-residents. These non-resident permits cannot be honored under Florida's reciprocity provision.

Source - http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html
    It is incumbent upon you to _ALWAYS_ read the italicized/small print toward carry laws for a given state. Not doing so can result in significant legal problems if you are caught or questioned in a state to which you are not a resident, regardless of the permit/license type you might have. Many of the so called reciprocity counter/tracker websites do not state as much nor take this into account and are typically oriented toward state resident type reciprocity.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I just got my SC CWP and wanted to apply for Florida non res over the NH no res because I travel to VA. NH does not cover VA but Florida does.

I know I have to attend a training for the Florida non res permit. What is the easiest way to accomplish this as my guess is that the SC training won't count.
    Also I notice the Florida electronic fingerprints need to be done in Florida. Can't I send electronic fingerprints from SC?

Thanks for your thoughts

VA has a non-res permit as well... got mine in just under 45 days.

Quote Originally Posted by gextyr View Post
    XD, hopefully the recent news about expanded reciprocity for SC will end up fulfilling your wish to be allowed to carry in more places... but for now, you might as well get at least a NH or UT permit. The FL permit is over-priced, even if it is one of the "best" ones available.
    Average price per year, 16.72 @ 7 years not too bad IMHO
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by HKFord View Post
    I just got my SC CWP and wanted to apply for Florida non res over the NH no res because I travel to VA. NH does not cover VA but Florida does.

I know I have to attend a training for the Florida non res permit. What is the easiest way to accomplish this as my guess is that the SC training won't count.
    Also I notice the Florida electronic fingerprints need to be done in Florida. Can't I send electronic fingerprints from SC?

Thanks for your thoughts

Hold on. I expect the VA/SC fiasco to be staightened out shortly and SC permits honored in VA once again. Someone needs to contact SLED and VA to see what the status is. The last I heard was a total misunderstanding by the new head of SLED who didn't realize that SC had a verification system.

Jang has an excellent point - in that the RESIDENT requirement is paramount. I had missed that with the SC issue. Hopefully, VA and SC will get their act together. The VA / SC issue revolves around 24/7verification. VCDL is on top of it.

HKFord - I used my course certificate signed by an NRA intructor for my FL CWP. I had the local PD do my prints, which was electronic in nature, but the output was printed on the standard print card provided by FL DOACS. Had the new FL CWP in hand at about the 60 day mark.
    DoubleR"You Can't Legislate Human Behavior"

My understanding is the new head of SLED told the VA that SC did not provide verification and that caused VA to withdraw. However it has been pointed out to him that SC does indeed provide verification but he was unaware of it. The question is does it meet VA's requirements. A verification system is required by law in SC but it does not state that it has to be 24/7. I expect it to be resolved soon so SC and VA can establish reciprocity. But soon to SLED is different than to most people.

However from what I hear it may be solved before you can get a NH permit at the rate thay are backed up. Also TX seems to be so flooded with applications they are taking months fro renewals.

ron8903: my license arrived a few months before the "7 year" rule was enacted, so its only good for 3 years from the date of issue... the processing fee, fingerprint fee, and cost of the class adds up...

of course, being able to defend myself anywhere i go: priceless.

Also, the renewal is only $65, which is good... and my next renewal will extend my CWP for 7 years. So that IS a good deal (if you consider paying $ to utilize your rights a good deal.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links