I thought (fondly) of this site last week...

This is a discussion on I thought (fondly) of this site last week... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have officially entered middle age, the urge to become more physically fit has recently become quite strong....so I have begun walking/running. After months on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought (fondly) of this site last week...

I have officially entered middle age, the urge to become more physically fit has recently become quite strong....so I have begun walking/running. After months on the treadmill I finally got the gumption up to walk/jog outside on the gravel roads around us. On my five mile route, there are 6 houses, this is NOT suburbia.

Last week someone's 2 "wiener"dogs decided my walking past the driveway was offensive to them. They growled, each dog circled a different direction, then one lunged at my ankle (it was hard not to laugh) I threw a rock at it. After the fifth rock it was not so funny and I was ready to draw and just shoot the tenacious, misguided little twits--but their owner was in the driveway, around the corner yelling at them to "come here" (which he yelled at them the entire time I was throwing rocks and yelling at his dogs...whole thing lasted less than 5 minutes, but still...would it have killed him to leave his truck-washing and come get his nuisance dogs out of the middle of the street?) Thanks to some of the threads I had read on here, I had thought about the possibility of dogs harrassing me and thinking through the situation actually saved 2 dogs' lives. It also taught me that I really need to work on my rock throwing skills.

As I walked away, I patted myself on the back...some dog-lover here on CC would be happy that I didn't just shoot the things, then they'd tell me to carry pepper spray and dog treats instead of rocks.

When I was out and about in Burien years ago I took to carrying an auto opern umbrella, I would point it at the dogs and open it, they couldn't see me and it confused them. They were bigger dogs, I don't know if it would work on small dogs.

I have two weiner dogs myself (those were not mine). As far as mine are, their bark is way worse than their bite...I assume...mine have never bit anyone...so far :).

On another note...When I was about six, my sister and I (she was four) were walking to our friends house. The friend lived five doors down, not far in a quiet neighborhood. Some new neighbors moved in the third house down and they had two Doberman Pincshers (sp). Both of them jumped the fence and attacked my sister by grabbing her skirt and trashing her about like a rag doll. Thankfully, there were a couple of teenagers across the street who came over with a couple of 2x4's to beat the dogs off of her. The dogs were gone soon after. If I only had my CCW at six years of age....

Congratulations on the health thing, it can only be good for you. I too like to be outdoors rather than stuck on the treadmill.
    I'll say this. The owner should have gotten his dogs when they were bothering you, however, if I were to see someone throwing rocks at my two little harmless dogs I think that person and I would have some issues. Couldn't you have just walked a bit faster and moved on with your day. As far as shooting goes, how could tiny weeny dogs be a threat to you? I can't see a reason to shoot unless you were just looking for an excuse. If I were washing my truck in my yard and my dogs were harassing someone walking by I would definetly control them. If that person were to pull a gun out, the situation as you could imagine will only go downhill.

I'm gonna climb off my high horse. Keep walking, and keep it outside, you'll enjoy it a whole lot more. And maybe just ignore the tiny dogs that bother you.

A squirt gun with 1 part of ammonia and 5 parts of water works miracles. Non-lethal and gets you a little practice on your draw and aim ;~).
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

My girlfriend is still healing over a mutt who collided with her front wheel and got caught between the front wheel and the frame of her Heritage Softail. Yes, the dog ran at the bike from 90 degrees as fast as possible. The bike went down the dog yelped and ran, no, limped off . Lucky for the dog, she had engine guards, so it kept the 700lbs+ motorcycle off the dog. My girl had bruised up ribs and a collarbone broken in two places. After an evening in the emergency room, and surgery the following weekend. Her medical bills are pushing 40k now. She had $3700.00 in damage to the bike.

The dog "Buster" while only having a broken paw and minor burns has lived up to his name, and is doing fine.

This happened three doors down and the home owners insurance policy is taking quite a hit.

I personally have 4 dogs, but never imagined one dog could cause so much trouble.

Turns out, the owner of the house is a "personal injury attorney".

Those wienie dogs are the worst at biting. They are not affraid of things many times their size. If you keep moving through their territory without acting like a threat they will usually drop the show after you pass. Do you carry a walking stick?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I hear those wienie dogs make good bait!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Those wienie dogs are the worst at biting. They are not affraid of things many times their size. If you keep moving through their territory without acting like a threat they will usually drop the show after you pass. Do you carry a walking stick?
    It doesn't sound like the OP was in their territory. It's not very neighborly but this is the reason there are leash laws. Too bad the owner doesn't seem to think his pets (thus him) are a nuisance. If he cared for his pets he insure they don't get in a scenario where this could happen. If I can meet force with force and stand my ground with a human you can bet I'd punt the little ankle biter down the road.He'd know who the big dog on my block is.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Years ago, while walking from my friend's house to my car, a little wiener dog squeezed his fat butt thru a hole in the fence and came at me. Barking (or squeeking) at me, he grab the tongue on my shoe and started thrashing. The little guy was straddling my foot while tearing my Converse a new one...so I scooped him up with my foot and tossed him back over the fence. Owners came out the second I did that (they were watching the entire time.) Both were yelling in Spanish and the husband brought out a broom. The wife grabbed the dog, which was not hurt at all, and was cuddling it like a baby. The husband comes at me with the broom, but never made it to the fence when my friend ran up behind me. I was laughing the whole time, then I looked down at my shoe at saw that it ripped the tongue. So my friend yelled at them in Spanish and they eventually gave me 20 bucks for my shoes...

TOF
    In an area with 1 house per mile traveled, a little less dense than here, I fully understand people not being overly concerned about their dog's being loose in their yard. Especialy little rat dogs.

I have a Hound of 80 pounds that as a pup would challenge the once a month traveler walking past our house. She simply told them they were approaching her property but never attempted to bite or get close enough to do so unless I went out to get her.

I learned early on that trying to walk out and get her was the wrong thing to do as she would think I was going after the person also and move closer to the offending party. I simply had to teach her to come to me when I called. The best approach I found untill she learned to come to my call was to call then walk away from the offender.

She is very much appreciated when we have the occasional Black Bear or Couger visit and she runs them off.

Perhaps you should get to know your neighbor and his dog's so they view you as a friend.

Good luck and keep up that exercise.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    A squirt gun with 1 part of ammonia and 5 parts of water works miracles. Non-lethal and gets you a little practice on your draw and aim ;~).
    +1.
    Used it as a kid with paper route.
    Although I used 1 ammonia : 3 water.
    Won't cause blindness or anything...

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    I learned early on that trying to walk out and get her was the wrong thing to do as she would think I was going after the person also and move closer to the offending party. I simply had to teach her to come to me when I called. The best approach I found untill she learned to come to my call was to call then walk away from the offender.
    +1

As I read this thread I was intending to post this same warning. We have two 80lb Golden Retrievers who are very protective of our territory and the street out front -- we're the last house on a dead-end cul-de-sac and don't get much through traffic, so I guess they see the street as theirs too. They're inside dogs but we have a doggy door in the back and before we had a fence back there, they would come around to the street. They will aggressively bark and challenge almost anybody who approaches, but they are really big teddy bears -- the neighbors who know them will just walk up to them and pet them or ignore them. Walk up in our yard or our house, and they'll slobber all over you looking for attention. Anyway, I learned the hard way years ago that you can't just run out after them to retrieve them, they see that as YOU getting closer to the THREAT and that will motivate them even more to "protect" you. I don't think they'd ever actually attack someone, but we've had a couple close calls with them scaring folks really bad. After the 2nd or 3rd episode we got a fence to contain them in the back yard.

They had no problem however with attacking strange dogs. Once while playing with our new, first grandchild in the front yard, Sandy, our oldest Golden, tackled a full grown German Shepherd who had wandered up the street. I guess she was protecting the baby. When I saw her take off after him I broke into a dead run but of course couldn't get there in time -- I just knew she would be maimed or killed, and I was ready to dive between them (our dogs are about as precious to us as our kids). Sandy hit the dog full force, took it totally by surprise, and it turned tail and ran like the devil himself was after him. She chased it a good quarter mile I think, with me running like a screaming maniac behind her the whole way. :) I realized that day that Goldens aren't always as docile and passive as people are led to believe.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by gg12 View Post

I have officially entered middle age.

Congratulations on your 60th birthday.....

.......from someone who's 50!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

A PI atty has caused an injury.......... SUE him !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links