How secretly do you *really* carry?

This is a discussion on How secretly do you *really* carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually hand out my business card as an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor. You'd be amazed at the number of closet "gunnies" there are in ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How secretly do you *really* carry?

I usually hand out my business card as an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor. You'd be amazed at the number of closet "gunnies" there are in my oh-so-liberal area! I almost always get one or two calls or e-mails for every 5 to 7 cards I hand out...especially in such conversations. Hell, I'll butt in on somebody else's (perfect stranger) conversation seated next to me in a restaurant....and if somebody asks if I'm presently carrying a firearm (and I am), I'll tell the truth.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Good Question!

I tend to evaluate each situation differently in terms of what information or debate I enter into. I go out of my way to expouse the importance of the 2nd Amendment and the right (and duty) of each individual to protect themselves and loved ones. I try to make the point that many people of all walks of lives choose to be armed. But when asked if I am carrying while discussing the issue of carry, I flatly state that I do not share this information. End of story.

I firmly beleive that each one of us has the responsibilty to share with others the importance, the freedom and the right to be armed. I tend to agree with Tim Schmitt of Concealed Carry Magazine that being a "Concealed Carry Evangelical" is certainly a whorthwhile cause.

Do your part. Set a good example. Leave those folks sitting on the fence with the impression that ...geeze, there is a well-reasoned man or women who chooses to be armed and makes a good case for it. And they seem normal like other rational people!

Good luck...now go out and preach the "Concealed Carry Gospel".

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I usually hand out my business card as an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor. You'd be amazed at the number of closet "gunnies" there are in my oh-so-liberal area! I almost always get one or two calls or e-mails for every 5 to 7 cards I hand out...especially in such conversations. Hell, I'll butt in on somebody else's (perfect stranger) conversation seated next to me in a restaurant....and if somebody asks if I'm presently carrying a firearm (and I am), I'll tell the truth.
    My usual response is, "If my pants are on, I must be armed."

I'm lucky. Living in Indianapolis, I can honestly say I've only meant one person in my life in this area who is anti-gun, and even he is only anti-gun concerning weapons like machine guns. He is not against folks carrying pistols, revolvers. He's even considering getting something to defend his home. I've told him to get some training if he does. Apart from that, I've never had to defend my 2nd Amendment beliefs with anyone around here.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaDean
    I'm lucky. Living in Indianapolis, I can honestly say I've only meant one person in my life in this area who is anti-gun, and even he is only anti-gun concerning weapons like machine guns. He is not against folks carrying pistols, revolvers. He's even considering getting something to defend his home. I've told him to get some training if he does. Apart from that, I've never had to defend my 2nd Amendment beliefs with anyone around here.
    THAT is what miss about Indiana. When I lived there, practically everyone I knew was pro-2nd amendment. The only problem was we had one chief of police who was anti-CCW. Fortunately, the State Police didn't take him all that seriously.

I was asked if I have a CCW by my employer, following an in-car discussion on 2A rights. I just said 'Yup.' He then asked me if I carried at work, I responded with 'unless someone comes in the office and starts shooting people, you'll never know'.

I'm pretty sure he got the point, and I'm taking him to the range when it warms up :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

When involved in this type of discussion I have often remarked that I got my carry permit "so I could legally carry if I ever felt the need." As of yet, no one has ever tried to pin me down with a direct, "Are you carrying right now?"

SSKC

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    If asked a too-personal question on any subject, I quote the old TV series "The Prisoner":

Questions are a burden to others; answers, a prison for oneself.

Like ramtough47, I would lie if circumstances required, and my wife doesn't see me arm myself, so she usually doesn't know for sure, but she is also aware of my mania and would be surprised if I weren't armed.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    No one had asked me since I got my CCW if I was carrying. Not even the guys and gals in the pin shooting club I belong to. I know most of them carry. My wife knows I carry, and surprised me one day by telling my son that I was carrying. I was securing the gun in my car prior to going into a prohibited area, and he asked what was I doing that was taking so long. I didn't think she knew, as I was going to lengths to keep her from "making" me so as not to freak her out. Her family background is not pro-gun, but I guess she has been around me, my family and my shooting friends enough to be at least neutral.

I would guess that sixty to seventy-five percent of my close friends know I carry. I would also guess that the same sixty to seventy-five percent of my close friends carry. I was in my favorite coffee shop this summer when the subject came up among several of us who are friends. The breathtakingly beautiful shop owner leaned across the counter and said to me, “You too? Cool!” Carry when in church and the pastor knows.

I am negotiating a new job in the Willamette Valley. The man in charge of Human Recourses carries and knows I carry but we have been shooting friends for close to twenty years.

It is strangers and casual acquaints who will not know if I am carrying. I do not mind those who carry knowing I carry and having me know they carry. If push came to shove and a bad guy starts to act up there may be a better chance of knot having to shoot someone if three or four of us work together. I know anyone who was in that coffee shop with ill intents would have been in a heap of trouble.
    In HIS Service
    Scott F

ScottF,

I sure like that idea of spaying/neutering your democrat...I wish they would adopt that policy here in upstate NY!

Oregon...Steens Mts., Strawberry Mts., Malheur Wildlife refuge...and lots of hot springs. I have some very fond memories from college of your great state and hope to take my wife and daughter there someday.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Always in for an attempted ''conversion'' - but will skate around the carry issue much as needed. Sometimes things just need left a bit like - ''for me to know - you to find out'! Or perhaps - ''If I so chose, I could'' (and so could you!!).

Overall yes - it is a private thing, tho I am maybe a shade less so than some - by which I mean, folks at gun club know, and so do most of my (limited) family. That is about where it stops.
    That's the very reply I used when queried by co workers. I value my privacy highly .
    "Stay Alert, Stay Alive"

"ScottF,

I sure like that idea of spaying/neutering your democrat...I wish they would adopt that policy here in upstate NY!"

Hmmm. I neutered my cat, now he is a democrat!

At work, most everyone is well-aware of where I stand politically and few will willingly debate me. Too many of them simply aren't too well armed, when it comes to a "battle of wits."

Most know that I do not discuss personal matters and the rest probably don't want to know if I carry or not. They are quite happy with their heads comfortably burried in the sand.

I sure the thought of me, walking around armed, would upset their sense of inner-harmony and give them a severe Yin-Yang imbalance.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I will have to admit that when the opportunity comes to educate the misinformed I will jump at it. Usually it is people that I work with (where I can't carry) who have the silly notion that the police are there to protect you and the average Joe doesn't need a gun. Ironically, the shipyard I work at is in the crappiest section of Newport News. Just this year one sailor from the USS ENTERPRISE was shot and killed in his car, apparently leaving work. Several others were robbed at the 7-11 just outside the gates.

So I guess I tend to "out" myself as a person who does CCW, however most of these people do not know me outside of work.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Fortunately, I am able to CC in my office since I am the boss. All my employees know this, and have told me that they are glad that I do. I run a business that has all types coming through the doors and some are.........well let's just day not someone I would not want to meet in a dark alley. I have had several confrontations over incorrect forms of ID, failure to pass a drug screen and so on. Some take it with a grain of salt and just leave and some actually try to argue themselves out of the situation. I am 6'6" and 310lbs and most don't become confrontational, so the ones that do I am really concerned with. I have never, in 5 years of carry, felt the need to draw my weapon in defense of my life, at work. I pray every day that it never comes to that. Other that my family and my employees, only other CHL holders, that are friends of mine know about my CHL.
    When asked about the CHL issue, I simply state that I think that having someone, other than LEO's able to cover my bacon when things go to hell in a handbasket around me, by carrying concealed is a very reassuring. Most just laugh and say "Like a man your size really needs to be protected". I try to turn the table and make them think about it that way. It's like hey.......there could be someone out there carrying a handgun, that could come to my aid if need be, and the LEO's are not around. I have really started some wheels turning with that one. Something else I try to add to the conversation is the lack of LEO's. They are usually a little short handed and always, it seems, in the wrong place when you need them. I point out that in most cases the LEO's arrive after all the bad things have happened. Again, this can get some wheels turning in the right direction. To date I have never had to defend my RTKBA. If it ever comes to that certainly will.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links