How secretly do you *really* carry? - Page 4

How secretly do you *really* carry?

This is a discussion on How secretly do you *really* carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been accused of being as bad as an evangelical preacher on the 2nd amendment and CCW, so I am a bit outspoken and ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I have been accused of being as bad as an evangelical preacher on the 2nd amendment and CCW, so I am a bit outspoken and do not shrink from the debate; and as my wife and I both work for a university there is frequent opportunity.

Missouri is a recent addition to the “shall issue” list of states; in ’98 when we first moved here we had the infamous voter referendum; defeated through voter fraud in the Dem-o-crap controlled chitty of St Louis. During the campaign leading up to the vote I had a couple dozen lengthy letters to the editor published and participated in debates around the area. Then recently when the legislature passed CCW over the governor’s veto and a resulting court fight I had numerous letters published again, so many people I have never met before know who I am when we are introduced and the conversation quickly turns to guns and CCW. Just last night at a New Years dinner gathering at a local restaurant I was introduced to a couple, immediately the question “Are you THAT XXXX XXXX who writes all the letters (I have an uncommon last name)?” comes up. I said I was and we spent several minutes discussing CCW and they admitted they had thought about it but had not yet decided if they would. The lady did ask if I always carried, to which I held up my iced tea and smiled, she understood the meaning and asked how/what I could carry in a situation like we were in. I was wearing slacks and a sweater; I told her I had a full size 1911 .45 carried IWB just behind my right hip. She said she didn’t think someone could carry that easily without anyone noticing, and even knowing where it was she could't tell, and they would have to really look into getting permits. I explained what they had to do and told them about a couple training schools in the area for the required training, and they said they were going to do it.

So, good or bad I am up front about carrying, I don’t really care who knows I carry, everyone who knows me assumes I do since I have been so outspoken about it in the past.

Assistant Administrator
    F350 - I think your case is a special one where in a sense you have been crusading and so have gotten known. That was both inevitable and probably too quite useful for helping bring new folks in and get them talking.

I doubt in fact you could have achieved what you did without some ''notoriety'' but seems from what you describe the experience has not been to bad. Good job.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I am SO happy I'm not in Texas

Today the whole family went to the Super Wal-Mart, as we're going through the check out, my 6 year old decides to be a bad boy. For this, I tell him he's going IN the cart, where you're supposed to put little children. So, as I lift him up, he grabs my coat, opens it wide, exposing my shoulder holster and the PT92 that's in it, and exclaims, "Daddy, you don't have a permit!"

Needless to say, he was corrected on that account, right away. The girl at the counter was all bug eyed until I told her, "Yes, I do have a permit, he's just a show off." She then chuckled and said, "Kids, you can't eat 'em, and there's no re-sale value." :)

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp
    Fortunately, I am able to CC in my office since I am the boss. All my employees know this,...
    It's excellent that your workplace (literally yours) doesn't automatically ban all weapons, like 99% of all employers.

So, do you allow your employees to carry on the premises?

My family knows and my close friends know. If anyone wants to get in a discussion with me about it then I'll defend my right and the rights of others concerning CCW and the 2nd. Anyone I don't particularly know whom I may be having a discussion with does not need to know what I do or how I do it.

My mom freaked out about it when she found out though. She called my wife on morning crying about how handguns are horrendous machines and how they can kill people indriscriminantly(sp?). My wife also got the earful of how it makes people into something they might not normally be had they NOT had a gun on their person. At that point, my wife went into a tirade and ended the discussion on point. It was pretty much her decision to become armed that put me in the driver's seat. Shortly after that conversation with my wife, my mom came by to pick my son up for the day. I had her come into the kitchen and sit down at the table for a quick "discussion". I asked her her opinion on guns just to make my point. I then calmly and safely removed my XD from my holster (she had no idea I was even carrying it), cleared the magazine and then cleared the chamber, had my wife check the cleared status again for me, laid the XD on the table with the slide locked open, then told my mother to pick it up and showed her which direction was safe to point in. When she finally did pick it up and point in the direction of safety, I asked her if she felt any different than she did just seconds before. She replied "No". I then replied that I had made my point and carried on. She may not like the idea, but she certainly had crossed a road that morning.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Assistant Administrator
    Good move gddyup - sometimes that approach is all that is needed.

Something at least that hammers home to folks that ''this har gun'' is not, of its own volition, gonna jump up and start attacking people!!

All they ever have to realize is, that in the hands and custody of a trustworthy and reliable citizen, it is no more than a tool. They can equally be made aware of the big difference when said tool is in the hands of those with felonious and murderous intent - the very people we are trying to protect ourselves from. The very people who are law-breakers and who - if guns were even more controlled, would still be armed.

Now your Mom has crossed the road - I hope she stays there and also can even better come to terms with honest carry and what it means to law abiding folk.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks Chris.

She may not like the idea, but at least she has come to terms with the "Why?" of our choice to carry. I wil never force my opinions on anyone or try to change anyone's mind. I simply try to educate and get the person to really think about what their position is and why it is. If they are educated they can then trully form a more unbiased opinion and understanding. Whether or not that changes there mind about it is up to them at that point.

Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links