How secretly do you *really* carry?

This is a discussion on How secretly do you *really* carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe I have heard a lot of you guys and gals say that only your closest friends or only your S.O. or maybe not ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How secretly do you *really* carry?

Question How secretly do you *really* carry?

I believe I have heard a lot of you guys and gals say that only your closest friends or only your S.O. or maybe not even he/she knows that you carry. So, how do you accomplish this? I'm asking because I imagine this to be difficult unless you keep quiet about all Second Amendment issues.

Imagine the following situation, for the sake of argument: The gun debate comes up in a conversation between you and a handful of friends or acquaintances. Maybe one of them is a fence-sitter and could be salvaged if presented with something else than sheeple propaganda. So you speak up for yourself, the Second Amendment, and the sheeple's right to have the choice not to keep and bear arms. Which does not give you away as CCW. It can be assumed that you own guns if you are so outspoken about it, but many people own, fewer carry. Anyway, the conversation goes on and the sheeple bring the "hunting is fine, but carrying handguns is just for cops" argument. I don't want to preach to the choir here, so let's just assume you start taking this apart. Still no proof that you carry, but it might make people take a closer look at your waistline in the future. Or maybe they are blunt and ask you if you carry. Do you tell a lie? Are you vague and evasive?

The prudent solution is obviously to stay out of these debates. Maybe I'm just young and idealistic (a.k.a. inexperienced), but if you don't speak out about your beliefs, your voice will go unheard, and we need all the voices (and votes) we can get for our side. Sure, you won't convice someone whose middle name is "Denial", but maybe the occasional fence-sitter.

Please note that I do not judge anyone for not outing him- or herself in defense of the Second Amendment in such or similar situations. As stated before, it is definitely the prudent thing to do and it's called "concealed carrying" for a reason. I also absolutely understand the many advantages of providing that kind of information only on a need-to-know basis.

Bottom line: What compromises do you make to achieve your chosen level of secrecy?
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    ibex i allways defend the 2nd ammendment to the extent that it can be politly done ( i dont ridicule hopolophobes ) but when asked if i carry i smile , wink , and state " gee i dont know , do i ? " and leave them to draw any conclution they may choose to , thoes who know me well dont have much dobut, but only immediate family and my Sheriff know for shure LOL

IF part of our activism is to promote the safe carrying of firearms, then I think it works best to lead by example....sometimes.

I don't know that I'd divulge when out in public, as say a resteraunt. But at a private setting, such as holiday dinner or something, in that vein. Then yeah, I'd probably "come out" that I live the "armed lifestyle."

My Democrat voting, liberal, anti-gun in-laws know. We just don't discuss it when they come to visit. However, before I go to bed, I have to make sure there are no firearms in their immediate vicinity. I guess they don't want the guns getting up in the middle of the night and going "BOOM!"

Or maybe they are blunt and ask you if you carry. Do you tell a lie? Are you vague and evasive?

I have carried for over 40 years and am one of those who devoutly adheres to the idea that my concealed carry status is nobody's business but my own. I would encourage you to engage in debates like those that you have described. But, when someone tries to pin you down as to whether or not you carry concealed my advice is to smile and say that is absolutely nobody's business but your own - and then drop it.

That kind of question is not unlike those that ask, "did you have sex with so-and-so?;or, how much money to you make? etc.

These are your business and nobody else's so, when folks ask these impertinent kinds of questions, smile (that's important) and calmly tell them that it is none of their business.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Assistant Administrator
    Always in for an attempted ''conversion'' - but will skate around the carry issue much as needed. Sometimes things just need left a bit like - ''for me to know - you to find out'! Or perhaps - ''If I so chose, I could'' (and so could you!!).

Overall yes - it is a private thing, tho I am maybe a shade less so than some - by which I mean, folks at gun club know, and so do most of my (limited) family. That is about where it stops.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    When asked if I carry, it depends on what I think the person asking is thinking. If I believe them to be anti gun liberals, I deny I carry but defend those that wish to do so. If I know the person asking is pro gun then I will wink and nod and be on my way.

I'm pretty straight forward about it. If asked, I'll say yes. If a conversation comes up, and CHL is mentioned in a negative light, I'll defend it, or(depending on my mood), I'll get up and leave. When asked why I'm leaving, I'll tell them I feel unwelcome because I'm carrying.
    I guess it's what's left of my youthful brassness, but I just don't care what folks think of me, if their estimation of my character is based on the fact that I carry an evil gun. I don't have time for people like that. Waste of my time and my friendship. I know folks who don't own guns, but respect my right to. I know folks who own guns but don't carry. Not my problem. I'm too darned old to worry about what someone thinks of my personal decision to stand up and protect my loved ones from violent attack. I am who I am, and that's who you get, like it or not. I can't please everyone, and I'm not going to try.
    Besides, I open carry from time to time, which would sort of blow my cover, now wouldn't it?
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

I also think this is a private deal and would not let anyone know that I’m carrying to prove a point. The fact is, it’s none of their business. If it hits the fan, they’ll then learn that at least one of us has it together and is prepared to take it to the next level.

Manwell

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Just a point manwell but thoes of us who do carry NEVER "take it to the next level " we react to the level presented to us with approprate , justifyable force .. just food for thought

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Interesting topic ibex. My answer? Well... it is like old people’s underwear.
    It depends on how many and how well I know the folks I am talking to. If I knew them well enough, and felt comfortable with it, in a small group setting, I may "out" myself, but most likely, I would not. As someone already said, if a bunch of people gang up on me I am liable to get up and walk out. Don’t get me wrong, I like a good debate (especially one I know I can win), and can hold my own more often than not. It has been my experience, however, that most of the anti’s tend to get angry when you smash their arguments to smithereens 20 or 30 times in a row, no matter how polite you are when you do it. If someone is sitting on the fence, tray and talk to them about it away from the rest of the group.

Administrator
    Locally, the people that know that I carry are:
    >>>One of Five trustees from where I spend some of my time working.
    >>>Probably, (I'm Guessing) our local Chief Of Police who lives about 5 houses down from me. Who is also a recent trustee.
    >>>The Jeweler that I buy my LaserMax batteries from...because, I know for a fact that he also carries...as I "made" him already because he prints.
    >>>The female Police Officer that was living right next door & her boyfriend who was also a LEO. She has since moved.
    >>>The wonderful optician that made my super duper fantastic special custom deep amber tinted shooting glasses. I buy him doughnuts all the time so...he is cool.
    >>>My family doctor who is also my very close friend and my neighbor.
    >>>Also an attorney that went to High School with my wife & he also shoots target & collects.
    >>>The investment person at my bank who handles things for my family. He is a "One Gun" person who carries a Walther .380
    He mentioned to me that he carried before he ever knew that I did also. Naturally, if I trust him with my $$ then I trust him explicitly in general.
    Those are the people around me that KNOW that I carry.
    I have lived here for 10 years.

In addition to the above.
    My Mother
    My Wonderful Wife
    Brother & Sister & their spouses.
    My Nieces
    My Aunt
    My Mother In Law
    Bumper...& all forum moderators.
    And...Last But Not Least~~~~Every Single One Of You Forum Members.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Always in for an attempted ''conversion'' - but will skate around the carry issue much as needed. Sometimes things just need left a bit like - ''for me to know - you to find out'! Or perhaps - ''If I so chose, I could'' (and so could you!!).

Overall yes - it is a private thing, tho I am maybe a shade less so than some - by which I mean, folks at gun club know, and so do most of my (limited) family. That is about where it stops.
    P95, we must be from the same wood pile, because I have about gotten to the point that I just quote your posts and follow up with "ditto".

My standard reaction is to (1) say my stock line, and then (2) quickly deflect the conversation to something else. My standard line when asked, "Do you carry?" is "Oh, not so's you'd notice." A smile immediately thereafter tends to increase the success of the subsequent deflencant effort.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Assistant Administrator
    I have about gotten to the point that I just quote your posts
    Hahaha - OK Jon well - looks like I can put in an invoice then - charge you for my posts this last week you were away! Saved you the trouble yeah!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Chris ~~~~~ Question ???

How much do you charge per "Ditto" because I could ditto you quite a bit also.
    What is your going rate in American Dollars & also in Pounds Sterling.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    I will leave it at "what do you think?" No one has spotted my carry gun that I am aware of yet. Also, up here most folks are either pro gun or know to keep their liberal views to themselves. We have the firearm opener deer season off for all the public schools , if that gives ya an idea of how N. MI is.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links