How many times do you fire at assailant?

This is a discussion on How many times do you fire at assailant? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have you ever thought about how many times you would pull the trigger if you had to stop an eminent threat? Would you stop at ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many times do you fire at assailant?

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar

How many times do you fire at assailant?

Have you ever thought about how many times you would pull the trigger if you had to stop an eminent threat? Would you stop at one and see if the BG were still coming, would you double tap and then see if he were still coming, or would you go ahead and execute the mozambique technique and be done with it? I have heard of some people who didn't stop firing until the slide stopped moving. How prepared are you for the stress of actually pulling the trigger?

2. Remove Ads

I've already decided this one.

Twice, preferably in a controlled pair. Then worry about it. If they're still up and the head presents itself as a target, time for the last third of the failure drill.

This is assuming a simplistic single adversary scenario.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    personaly i will fire untill " he " dropps below my sights ( then i will assess) and quits doing what caused me to shoot at him in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by HollowpointHank
    Have you ever thought about how many times you would pull the trigger if you had to stop an eminent threat? Would you stop at one and see if the BG were still coming, would you double tap and then see if he were still coming, or would you go ahead and execute the mozambique technique and be done with it? I have heard of some people who didn't stop firing until the slide stopped moving. How prepared are you for the stress of actually pulling the trigger?

Well, you fire until there is no longer a threat of serious bodily injury or death to yourself or others. Unless someone takes a solid hit to the pumpkin that shuts down there nuro system they can function and do a hell of a lot of damage before they bleed out. I have an old pic floating around in my collection that is a dramatic demonstration of a persons with the will to keep on going. The perp in question took 39 hits with everything from 38 to 9 and even 12 gauge buck before he just bleed out and stoped. We are taught to double-tap and then cover low ready if further action is required. In a CCW scenario you would most likely have the ability to seek cover and concealment thus breaking contact ASAP where as I am required to basically go get the sucker even if he is still thumping along.

Only as many times as it takes. I doubt that this can be planned in advance.

Manwell

Lead Moderator
    Think Manwell has the answer, and by the way, welcome to him.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I have to disagree with this whole "Shoot them to the ground" notion somewhat.

Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, ya know?

euclid, not to belabor a point but in a gunfight insanity is give them a chance to react i was not trained that way and i would not train anyone that way , ( god i hate this next word ) tacticaly you respond to agression with overwhelming force once they submit you cease your agression ( be that shooting them or smacking them with a broomstick ) like i stated i shoot till they drop below my sight plane , then i assess if they are a threat or not , till then all bets are off edited by me ... i guess i really should do an intro post with my background , but thumbnail is that i was a badge packer for 10.5 yrs , worked everything from patrol to admin , and was nra certed firearms instructor , that being said i can be ( and the wife assures me i often am ) as wrong as anyone , i guess all i can do is post from my experiance and training , sometims with a cynical and as a whole misunderstood sense of humor LOL anyway any answer here that involves " i walk away " is a right answer
    Last edited by Redneck Repairs; December 13th, 2005 at 08:15 PM. Reason: another thought

single BG or many?

If there is only one threat, I would fire until there is no threat. But if there is more than one, the drill is 2per until all engaged then back again for followups.

sorting multiple threats is a whole nother thread imho LOL

Get some good training and stick with that technique.

I was trained aimed pair COM then cranio-ocular if necessary for single goblin.

1 COM for each multiple in order of threat, then cranio ocular as needed.

May not be perfect but that how I was trained, and train.
    Last edited by soflasmg; December 13th, 2005 at 08:25 PM. Reason: clarity
    The Marshmallowist

Lead Moderator
    double tap,assess , repeat as needed.

Fire untill the threat stops .. be it 1-40 some rounds

Assistant Administrator
    I do not subscribe to any formula.

I think in extremis our inner computer will be running clocked - we will be hyped and concentrating on making a threat cease. That will probably mean we will be processing data very fast - certainly after a couple or three shots, in a millisecond or two, we will be if lucky deciding whether to keep shooting - dependent on the thread level still remaining.

Any doubt - any doubt at all - then probably we carry on. It almost has to be thus - if a deadly threat faces us - we are SOL if we shoot one/assess/shoot another/assess ---- possibility of incoming or actual incoming will IMO focus our attention greatly - as long tho as we do not get total tunnel vision - always a risk, as there could be other goblins with us in their sights.

Most of us will never know (hopefully) but otherwise we must train to be as quickly effective as possible - for as long as it may take (number of shots it may take).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Having just begun this journey (CCW Applicant), I find all of the above very thought provoking. Under Texas law, we were taught that we "should" cease shooting when the BG "stops". In other words, "I shot, he stopped", I stopped". Having said that, when training, I shoot five rounds as quickly as I can accurately (trying to increase my accurate rate of fire). My thinking is thus evolving somewhat as "unless Round 1 "stops" him COLD, there are four more headed his way pronto".

How surprise, shock, fear, adrenalin, and heart rate might affect that, I have no clue. That's why my wife and I plan on continuing to train the rest of our lives, and as it advances, will include advanced training that moves past simple range time.

So, feel free to make suggestions on improving on our skill base - we're always learning.

Also, I didn't mean to be sexist in the above and make out BG's to be only men, I just didn't want to spend my time typing "he/she" all the way ....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links