Defensive Carry banner

Ughh the wait never ends!

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  bshoe 
#1 ·
So my boss and I both submitted our applications (FL) on July 10th. I've been calling every couple weeks to check the status, getting a different answer every time.

"it's only been 30 days, you have to wait 45"

"it's only been 45 days, you have to wait 60"

"it's only been 60 days, you have to wait 90. but we received payment July 14th!"

Today my boss got a letter in the mail saying his application was denied because of an improper notarization.

He called and finally got through to someone and apparently the lady at State Farm next door did not notarize it properly so he must get it re-notarized and mail it back.

This obviously worried me since we got it notarized at the same place so he passed the phone to me and I gave her my social. She said "you application has been sent to verification because you have a rap(wrap?) sheet. If they need anything from you they will contact you."

I'm assuming this means I'm in a new line, with more waiting?

I was wrongfully arrested 5 years ago when I was 17 and the charges were dropped but I never got my record expunged so that must be what she was referring to.

Has anybody else experienced this?

I've been breaking in my MTAC with it empty for too long :(

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry you are having problems. My wife got permit rather quickly, actually within 30 days of sending in her application. She did the electronic fingerprint thing, which her instructor had recommended, perhaps that made the difference. Hope you get your problem worked out soon. Have you tried making a gun purchase yet and been turned down because the background check found this blotch on your record ? If so, you may want to look into getting the record cleared up.

#3 ·
I also did the electronic fingerprints as my instructor recommended. I purchased a Kel-Tec PF-9 from shoot straight with no problems. They ran the background check and everything came back fine.

I'll call back in another week, and see what the deal is. She should feel very fortunate for getting it so quickly!

#4 ·
Chances are when you call that you are getting the same couple people answering. When I applied this year, at 30 days I called to check, and got a lady. A week later, same lady. 45 days...a guy. 50 days...the lady again, with the guy answering after being put on hold. and at 53 days (I'm stubborn) the guy again. They remembered me and finally told me it got mailed out.
So I got it 53 days from when I mailed it, and 33 days from when they cashed the check.

#8 ·
No, I made sure everything was in order. I even made copies of the application for my reference. My app was mailed on June 11, the check cashed on June 25 and permit received on August 11. Being a nonresident, I had to use ink fingerprints too. I was happy with the speed in which my application was processed.

It's unfortunate that you got into trouble in your early years. I won't get into whether it was justified or not. Even if the charges were dropped, it would not be held against you. There's has to be something more to it, something that you may have forgotten. All you can do is comply with them. No use complaining to them about it. I know the lead time is getting to you It got to all of us.

Good luck!

#10 ·
Thanks!

I haven't actually complained to them, I just find it very strange.

I did look over everything MANY times before mailing it out. I mailed it out on the 10th and they said my payment was received 4 days later. I also made copies of everything for myself.

Basically my arrest was a "wrong place at the wrong time" and after $5,400 in lawyer fees I finally got my charges dropped. I doubt it will cause my application to get denied, it's just a bummer having to wait an unknown length of time now.

You can't imagine how much it sucks to have been(almost literally) the ONLY kid at my school who didn't party/drink/do drugs/etc. and I was arrested for all of the above in one very long and very confusing night.

On a side note, does anybody know if it is too late for me to get my record expunged, and what that entails?

Except for the fact that it cost me the bottom end of my motor and now an extended application wait, I haven't really thought much of it since and would like to get it taken care of.

Thanks!

#14 ·
Well, they do say 90 days, but it's usually quicker.

Congrats...on the permit!:hand10:

#17 ·
This may not help but one of my buddys summitted his app on June 25 and it was proccesed on June 27th and still has not recieved his permit. to get around the whole 90 day thing the keep saying that they are reviewing his fingure prints for criminal history. funny thing is that he has not crimanl history except for a reckless driving about a year ago that he had to go to court for but won.
now that sucks

#18 ·
From reading a lot of posts on this, the first thing that Florida CWP applicants have to do is make sure their apps are filled out properly. More and more, I am reading that DOACS is denying them because some procedure was not done correctly. They don't inform right away either. They wait a long time before they give notice.

It's not hard to fill out the app correctly. They send instructions too. If I can do it, anybody can. In fact, the notary public at the UPS Store where I live told me that the semantics prevented them from signing the application (Kalifornia is funny that way.). The notary public issued an additional document and signed that one. I don't know how if it was done according to Florida protocol, but they sent the permit without question.

I was surprised at how quick it came, given the fact that i had to use ink fingerprints. I don't mean to rub it in, but it came faster than some Florida residents who used the digital fingerprints. IMO, that should not happen. Florida residents should get priority.

I think that it will be okay if people would just read the instructions thoroughly before completing the app. It's a pain because there's some reading involved.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.