Hotel Defense Story

Hotel Defense Story

This is a discussion on Hotel Defense Story within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this interesting. Maybe you will too. http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...PG36G6F801.DTL...

Thread: Hotel Defense Story

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Hotel Defense Story

I found this interesting. Maybe you will too.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...PG36G6F801.DTL
    For God, Family and Country!

Assistant Administrator
    Yes - seems like she saved her bacon, and not having to shoot was a plus. I guess what training she had had was enough to help her stay together while using her verbals - untrained, some folks would have gone to jello!

Unarmed and without any cojones, she would probably have been that day's rape victim, or worse.

In threatening situations, self-defense expert Il Ling New said that there is a little voice in the back of most people's heads that blares, "Warning! Warning! You are in danger!"

Kat Needham, a biotechnology researcher in the Bay Area with a degree with molecular biology, said she was getting the message loud and clear.

"I used to go into work by myself in South San Francisco and I'd be there late at night, on the weekends or very early, and nobody friendly would be around for hours," Needham said. "Sometimes it would be eerie and scary along the railroad tracks. Being there by myself, I wanted to make sure I could protect myself."

That led her to Gunsite, where she met New. Needham took a handgun course for self-protection, and later returned to take several other courses.

"It's rare to find a woman who has a mind-set like that," Needham said. "The two of us are on the same wavelength. We talk about situations about self-defense all the time. Watching Il Ling instructing, it gives me more confidence in myself."

In class, New lectured that you have no control of the time or place when you might face a surprise showdown. In Needham's case, it came on a business trip to Florida, where she had checked into a hotel room, chained the door and set her pistol on the bedside.

"I was relaxing for a moment when somebody suddenly opened the door," Needham said. "They were coming into the room. The chain stopped them. I grabbed my pistol and racked a round so they could hear the action and know I had a gun."

Needham remembers shouting: "Stop! Do not come in! Who are you?"

The guy yelled back, deep and menacing, 'I'm coming in,' Needham recalled.

"Do not come in!" she shouted back. "I have a gun! Leave!"

The intruder wedged his arm past the door and wrestled to try to unhook the safety chain. The arm was "huge and hairy and it scared me," Needham said.

Her training kicked in. She positioned herself around a corner, pointing her .45 Colt semi-automatic pistol at point-blank range and again shouted a warning: "Do not come in. I have a gun. If you come in, I will shoot you."

For the intruder, logic apparently set in -- and the man ran off down the hall. Needham said hotel security did not find him. "Nobody knew anything."

Later, she reviewed the episode with New. "The first thing she asked me was, 'Did he follow you to the room?'

"I wasn't sure," Needham said. "I was in a place I'd never been before. I was by myself. I didn't know what to expect. If he had come in, I would have been in fear of my life, and I would have shot him.

"If I hadn't had the training, I wouldn't have had the confidence to know I could take care of myself."

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    This is the same San Fransisco that recently outlawed all guns in the city. Not even in your home, car, anything.

Funny!
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Lead Moderator
    What is interesting is that might work whether you had a gun or not. Guess it would depend on your acting skills!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I myself find the story very interesting. I often have to stay in hotel rooms far from home. Sometimes where I canot carry a firearm. That's when getting woken up from a sound sleep is the worst.

I like to think I have very good skills with remembering people, but ya really never can know for sure. All you can do is your best, at all times.

I travel alot and here recently on two different occasions I had people walk into my room. The first case was another business traveler that the desk had given the same key to the same room. Since this trip I had driven, I had a gun and he was covered before looking up and seeing me. He was embarhassed and the desk was soon chewed out for the error.

The second occasion I had flown, without a gun, but I had packed a knife in my checked luggage. The maids walked back into the room without knoocking to deliver a bottle of water and some oreo cookies. She was surprised by the man with a knife.

Interesting...

Army,

Good read and great outcome...correct training does wonders. Maybe the hairy arm guy will think about what he's doing and change...but probably not.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Once again, this article shows us that we are never really safe and cannot let our guard down. I'm glad it had a good outcome.

What is interesting is that might work whether you had a gun or not. Guess it would depend on your acting skills
    nah, i've found its way more effective to wear a shirt that has printed on the front:

"Crimes committed against the individual wearing this shirt are strictly prohibited!"

not so effective when the potential criminal cant read.

I thought this quote was good, and very true:
    "In class, New lectured that you have no control of the time or place when you might face a surprise showdown."

She did good also by having the chain lock in place where it would do what it was intended to do. I always engage both locks when in hotel/motel rooms but often people don't. They think because they are in the room that is deterrent enough. That could be a fatal mistake.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    I thought this quote was good, and very true:
    "In class, New lectured that you have no control of the time or place when you might face a surprise showdown."

She did good also by having the chain lock in place where it would do what it was intended to do. I always engage both locks when in hotel/motel rooms but often people don't. They think because they are in the room that is deterrent enough. That could be a fatal mistake.
    About the chain thing. As far as I can remember any hotels I've stayed in had doors that locked automatically when shut. I had to be sure to have my key when going for ice or get locked out.
    For God, Family and Country!

Me I just run around in my room naked, any one comes in and sees me runs out screaming, best defence ever.

I am glad she kept it cool and went into training mode. However, she left the door unlocked. Duh,,,,. A big no, no. most people leave there doors unlocked and don't realize it. I say remember the simple things and pay attention to the details.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Links