VA Adds SC Back on List of States it Honors: MERGED

This is a discussion on VA Adds SC Back on List of States it Honors: MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Virginia State Police have added South Carolina back on the list of states they honor. They are not reporting it as reciprocity but just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VA Adds SC Back on List of States it Honors: MERGED

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

VA Adds SC Back on List of States it Honors: MERGED

The Virginia State Police have added South Carolina back on the list of states they honor. They are not reporting it as reciprocity but just as a state they will grant recognition to valid permit from.

Handgunlaw.us will be updated in the next 24 hours to show this change in what states Virginia Honors.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

I can see SLED must have done something right on this one.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Glad to hear that. I did not expect them to add SC back unless a reciprocity agreement was signed. Hopefully we will hear something from SLED very shortly.

Thanks for the info. I had sent for the Va. CCW packet just in case and it is as thick as Florida. Well now I can relax.

This makes my life a lot easier when I have to drive to VA for work

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    good news
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    Now lets see if SC is willing to get their stuff together and honor ours. If not I think VA should pull our recognition again.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Noobie here. I am confused about why GA won't honor SC CWP. As I understand it, I can apply for New Hampshire Non-Resident Pistol License as a SC resident, and then, due to reciprocity between NH and GA, then I can carry in GA. Is this your understanding too?

Under the new law SLED does not have to sign a letter of reciprocity. They have to investigate the laws of the state they are considering and determine if they are the same or greater than our law, then they can recognize that state. Whether or not that state accepts ours matters not. They do not have to come to a reciprocity agreement with that state. However that state has to have similar or greater requirements than we do in order for them to add them and recognize them. They also were given no time line to do so, nor any direction as to how to go about it. Appears to me they can take their time and go in any order they wish too.

Why Georgia does not recognize ours? I would need to ask a Georgian to tell me if there is something in their law requiring an agreement or does SC not recognizing theirs make that a no go? I know SC cannot recognize Georgia because the requirements in Georgia are not equal or greater than ours. They do not require a formal training session in Georgia which we do. So to us, the way that our current law is written, that is a stumbling block. We tried to get that done away with but we lost that fight last year to eliminate the "Similar or greater" section of that. We tried to pass a law making it automatic. The version we wanted was, if you recognize us we will recognize you. We didn't get it. But I don't exactly know what stops Georgia from recognizing ours. Can someone comment on that side of it?

My understanding was always that GA had a true reciprocity policy -- you honor ours, and we'll honor yours. GA simply won't recognize any state that does not recognize GA. Since GA training requirements (or the lack thereof) does not meet SC standards, SC refuses to recognize GA. Which automatically means GA refuses SC.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

That was my understanding too...

As I read the new law on honoring permits it says that we will honor any states that meets the new requirements such as VA or WV. It does not say the we have to have an agreement with those states, just that SLED willl publish a list of those states and they can take their time doing it. If a permit holder from VA were to be charged I think they could win in court but that is a lot of trouble to go to.

Virginia Reciprocity With South Carolina

Virginia signed a reciprocity agreement with South Carolina Effective September 12, 2008.

The VSP website Shows reciprocity with South Carolina. The SC website doesn't show reciprocity yet and when I called SLED the woman that I talked to hadn't heard about it.

According to Donna Tate at VSP the agreement has been signed and she expected the SC website to be updated in the near future.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk! --Tuco

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar

Virginia and SC

They finally did it. +1 to SLED and VSP

/cheer!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links