Why multiple concealed permits?

This is a discussion on Why multiple concealed permits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New guy here...I noticed that most concealed weapons instructors teach multiple State courses..for instances the one I attended in KY also teaches out of State ...

Thread: Why multiple concealed permits?

Why multiple concealed permits?

New guy here...I noticed that most concealed weapons instructors teach multiple State courses..for instances the one I attended in KY also teaches out of State Florida..Why?
    JB..."Carry On!"

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    So that persons can apply for out of state non-resident permits.

See the thread below for more info.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t-permits.html

Most people get it for extra states that get covered.
    I get them to support the states that have good CCW laws, and, as a booster to my application for NJ's permit.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Now that SC has reciprocity with FL, there isn't another state I plan on visiting that my FL permit wouldn't cover...that may not be the same for others.
    Some may want a second permit for their own travel plans, but having more that one or two doesn't make much sense to me unless one owns a 'travel agency'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When I win The Mega Lotto, I will apply for Utah and Florida, then travel the U.S. For now My permit is all I need except Oregon. If any of my relatives in Oregon want me to visit they will have to pay for my Non-Resident permit.
    My permit is good for Idaho And Utah, I try and avoid Oregon (My relatives there have over time shown me that they don't care to see me). I used to go to the Oregon Knife show in Eugene, but expences since I retired are to much.
    Even with a Utah and or Florida permit I can't drive direct to Missouri without having to remove my pistol ( I have relatives there that do want to see me). I'll make do with just my Washington permit.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    When we were RVing I had 4 - 5 state permits. The reciprocity was the reason. As states have added if one has his own state plus FL and/or Utah he will be well fixed for the majority of states.

I did not renew my TX license as it was more trouble to go to the renewal class in TX than to renew in FL and UT.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jbradford1 View Post
    New guy here...I noticed that most concealed weapons instructors teach multiple State courses..for instances the one I attended in KY also teaches out of State Florida..Why?
    Many people travel out of state and nonresident permits allow them to carry concealed when they are on the road. In my case, it's all i have since I can't get on in California. Also, there is state recognition and reciprocity. If one strategically obtains a couple of nonresident permits, it will allow that person to carry throughout most of the United States.

Personally, I thank those states that provide the opportunity. I can't express my gratitude enough.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Living on the border of two states, I often head into Washington (from Oregon). Idaho, Utah and Nevada also aren't that far, and I occasionally travel to those states, as well.

Could have gone two ways: applied for a WA license, or applied for another state's that "gave" me WA in the bargain.

Opted to add UT to my OR license. Result? With just the OR license, I'm legally allowed to carry concealed in a handful of states, since so few recognize the OR license. Adding UT, that doubles the number that won't treat me like a felon for providing my own security.

That's my reason.

I, too, take my hat off to the rational-thinking leaders of states who view upstanding citizens as just that: upstanding, wanting merely to live their lives without being victimized by crime.

Check HandgunLaw.us for the "Create License Map" feature, to see this in action.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Living on the border of two states, I often head into Washington (from Oregon). Idaho, Utah and Nevada also aren't that far, and I occasionally travel to those states, as well.

Could have gone two ways: applied for a WA license, or applied for another state's that "gave" me WA in the bargain.

Opted to add UT to my OR license. Result? With just the OR license, I'm legally allowed to carry concealed in a handful of states, since so few recognize the OR license. Adding UT, that doubles the number that won't treat me like a felon for providing my own security.

That's my reason.

The reason why other states don't recognize the Oregon CCW is because Oregon doesn't recognize any permits. Why should others recognize theirs? That's the problem.

Check HandgunLaw.us for the "Create License Map" feature, to see this in action.
    Oregon refuses to honor any out of state CCW permits.

If it wasn't for that, more states would recognize the Oregon permit. As of now, only 11 states will honor it.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbradford1 View Post
    I have a PA permit for obvious reasons. I have a Maine permit because I travel there each summer and they do not honor other states permits. I'm also working on getting my FL permit so I can travel to Delaware, and add a few states to my list. I.e. Ohio and South Carolina.

Links