Any Texas CHL instructors out there?

This is a discussion on Any Texas CHL instructors out there? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Guys and Girls! I am a Canadian citizen and resident with permits from Utah, Maine, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. Will Texas issue to me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Texas CHL instructors out there?

VIP Member

Hi Guys and Girls!
    I am a Canadian citizen and resident with permits from Utah, Maine, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. Will Texas issue to me as non immigrant alien? I realize I would have to take a course in Texas.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Your Utah permit should technically cover you in Texas unless they don't allow non-citizens as part of reciprocity, or have opted to not allow "third party" permits.
    If you just wanted the permit from Texas, I don't know if they issue to non-citizens or not.
    Try handgunlaw.us, they might have the answer.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

VIP Member
    Thanks press1280.
    Utah recently pulled the plug on non immigrant aliens. This means I will be unable to renew. That's why I'm looking at Texas.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    I didn't quite understand your status. Did you mean that you are a Canadian living in the US as a permanent resident? (Green Card holder?)

I'm asking because I didn't think non-resident aliens could purchase guns, and your initial post was a tad unclear to me about your status.

VIP Member

Canadian resident, no green card

We live in Victoria B.C. My wife is dual US/Canadian and all her family is in the US. Hence my need for permits for our many road trips down there. And no, I can't purchase firearms or ammo while in the US. I have to bring them with me. I have all my ATF form 6's which allow me to temporarily import my handguns and ammo.

Gunny, you should see the light and just move down here to Texas and be a Texan.....

Then you wouldn't have to go through all that
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Naw, I don't think you guys are RedNeck enough for me!

no during the DPS part it says you must be a US citizen. Sorry Gunny. My necks not red, but my bald head is!!!!
    So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Last line of "Rifle Creed" by Major General William H. Rupertus (USMC, Ret.)

Check out

I know them well & they know the Texas law. Excellent teaching skills & do Utah as well.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Not looking to highjack the thread but I will be in San Antonio in Feb and I am looking to get my TX CCW while there. Any good instructors?

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Gunny, you should see the light and just move down here to Texas and be a Texan.....

Then you wouldn't have to go through all that
    From what I've learned in my short time in Texas... there's only way to be a Texan... and that's to be born here. I've been told I'll never be a Texan, but my daughter is... lol

Sorry for the hijack... I do remember it asking if I was a citizen, but since I answered yes, I have no idea what happens if you answer no.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Texas CHL

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Not looking to highjack the thread but I will be in San Antonio in Feb and I am looking to get my TX CCW while there. Any good instructors?

Your inbox is full, I have some good info for you.

VIP Member

Hey KevinDooley!

I wasn't born in Texas but I had a Lone Star with dinner the other night. Does that count?

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    What the heck, close enough for me! LOL
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

One of Texas' requirements to obtain a CHL is that you be eligible under all U.S. federal laws to purchase a handgun in the States. As a Canadian citizen who is *not* a "resident alien," you do not have that ability; therefore, you may not obtain aTexas CHL. (Sorry!)

From the Texas D.P.S. web-site: "A resident alien who has been admitted to the U.S. under an immigrant visa category will generally be eligible for a concealed handgun license. However, under federal law, an alien who has been admitted to the U.S. under a non-immigrant visa usually is not qualified to purchase a handgun and thus is not eligible for a license. If you legally reside in Texas and were not admitted to the U.S. under a non-immigrant visa, you may be eligible."

Steve
    (Texas CHL Instructor)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links