Who's Packing

This is a discussion on Who's Packing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is an article out of the local paper. Can't wait to see the editorial section in the next couple of days. I'll keep you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's Packing

Who's Packing

Here is an article out of the local paper. Can't wait to see the editorial section in the next couple of days. I'll keep you all posted. Who's packing? - PennLive.com

2. Remove Ads

"The average person feels less safe sitting in a bar and thinking a lot of people there have guns on them,"
    I don't care what the "average person feels" about me having a gun. I care about having the means to survive a criminal attack.

The article did mention some good points also about CCW.

Good for Pennsylvania for moving forward with CCW. Years ago PA out-of-state permits were popular here in Missouri because they were so easy to get. Glad to see so many PA residents getting their CCW licenses.

Jerry nice avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryDonlan View Post
    Here is an article out of the local paper. Can't wait to see the editorial section in the next couple of days. I'll keep you all posted. Who's packing? - PennLive.com

Well, I don't see an "anti-gun" slant, it appears the author made a good faith attempt at presenting a balanced point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I don't care what the "average person feels" about me having a gun. I care about having the means to survive a criminal attack.
    +1

For that matter, the "average person" probably never even thinks about the person next to him being armed unless he/she is in uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    Well, I don't see an "anti-gun" slant, it appears the author made a good faith attempt at presenting a balanced point of view.
    Nothing personal against you Rusty, but I see an anti-gun slant. By my count two-thirds of that article was on the negative side and one-third was roughly neutral. There was no postive advocation of firearms or concealed carry except as a means to prevent PA gunowners from breaking some law against having a gun in your car on the way to the range. They mention the motivation for the PA concealed carry laws, (TX Luby's) but then spin into the neutral zone. Almost an entire third of the article was given to the Brady Campaign and CeasefirePA comments and opinions. The comments from the sociologist were neutral, except for the garbage about people feeling less comfortable because others might be packing, and that the average concealed license goes to a middle-aged white man who wants to defend himself from bears while fishing.[scratches head]

Your telling me in a whole tri-county area not too far from Pittsburgh, they didn't come up with one example where someone protected themselves from bad guys instead of just a dog? They did get a female perspective but didn't really give them much credence. Neither of the women carry their gun. They make a remark about one keeping her gun in a diamond studded case, which to me trivializes it. The other woman only has a gun because she is afraid. They also make sure that they tell the story of how a person with a permit broke the law by having it in a school zone, AND lost it with a student finding it.

How far would they have had to go to find a pistol packing momma who had the same non-victim mentality as the guy who shot the dog? Instead it is some annonymous woman scared of break-ins. While this is valid non of the proponents stood up for their right to carry. Even the guy who shot the dog was made to sound like he was ashamed he had to defend himself.

In my opinion, not balanced, not neutral. Panders to the anti-gun people by highlighting the fear and mis-use and never mentioning our rights.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post

The article did mention some good points also about CCW.

Good for Pennsylvania for moving forward with CCW. Years ago PA out-of-state permits were popular here in Missouri because they were so easy to get. Glad to see so many PA residents getting their CCW licenses.
    I have to agree here with you Grady.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Frankly, I would feel lots safer thinking that people around me were legally carrying.

"The average person feels less safe sitting in a bar and thinking a lot of people there have guns on them,"
    I can honestly say, when I was in a bar drinking, I wasn't thinking about people with guns, but how was I going to get that girls number. etc. etc.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I think the article was well written for the most part. They did try to present both sides of the argument.

Got to agree with what PatriotRick said. When I drank, the last thing on my mind was if someone was carrying a gun. Of course I was a lot younger and dumber back then!

Now when I go out somewhere alcohol is served, I hardly think about whether someone else is carrying a gun. I have mine on me. I survey my surroundings and keep an eye on things happening around me, but those are not consc1ous thoughts anymore.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Define average. Define the setting? I am not average. Averages will slant the out come. Give me the span, median, the data base, the size of the sample, the method of questioning, the demographics, the income, the location, etc.

I dislike the term avaerage. It is misleading.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I think the article was well written for the most part. They did try to present both sides of the argument.

Got to agree with what PatriotRick said. When I drank, the last thing on my mind was if someone was carrying a gun. Of course I was a lot younger and dumber back then!

Now when I go out somewhere alcohol is served, I hardly think about whether someone else is carrying a gun. I have mine on me. I survey my surroundings and keep an eye on things happening around me, but those are not consc1ous thoughts anymore.
    Back in my drinking days I was just like every other sheep, I was there to have fun and get drunk with my friends.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    What/Who IS an "Average" person these days?

Just FYI most "average" Americans do not sit in bars every night.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I think the article was a good one. It was not slanted. Basically factual information about carrying concealed with a bit of why people don't like it thrown in there. Nothing biased that I see.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

A six page article with each page in two parts.

Part I
    Concealed carry people can shoot bad dogs
    Concealed carry people are irresponsible
    Concealed carry people get arrested and released when there's trouble
    Part II
    Ordinary people don't have to do much to get a permit
    People carry only to the range or to not be victims of dogs
    Some statistics
    Part III
    Before 1989 hardly anyone had a permit
    Now there are lots
    Gun rights groups tell people to get permits because of liability while travelling
    Part IV
    Gun rights groups tell people to get permits because of liability while travelling
    Same amount of guns more permits
    Average permit holder expects to shoot bears while fishing
    More women are getting permits
    Part V
    Women compete in pistol sports and keep their guns in cute diamond studded cases
    Scared women get permits
    Betty annonymous got a permit because of crimes agains women
    Part VI
    Betty won't carry the gun just has it at home
    Wants legal protection and although a martial artist wants a gun in case bad guys have one
    Gun rights groups got laws changed in 80's after Luby's shooting
    Part VII
    Luby's daughter could have saved many
    Pennsylvania was one of first to enact permits
    So-called "shall issue" states have few requirements to get a permit
    Don't even have to have firearms training in PA for one
    Part VIII
    Gun control groups claimed violence would go up
    Gun rights groups claimed violence would go down
    In the last twenty years it has done both, too hard to tell effect says sociologist
    Author says average person feels less safe and that social trust has gone down
    Permit holders cannot take guns certain places including private property when designated
    Part IX
    Some want college carry after VA Tech shootings
    Gun rights people don't have concealed carry as a top issue today
    Part X
    Brady Campaign keeps track
    Brady Campaign has article about bad permit holder killing people
    Brady Campaign says people cannot be trusted with guns
    CeasefirePA says they oppose people in danger getting quick permits
    The process would allow expedited process for potential victims
    PA Representative says armed society is a safe society
    PA Sherrifs Coalition and PA Coalition Against Domestic Violence are against expedited permit
    Part XI
    The coalitions say having guns is bad in domestic violence situations
    The coalitions say it is false security, the guns make it more dangerous and endanger bystanders
    Gun control activists don't have concealed carry as a top issue today
    Part XII
    Brady Campaign wants limits on gun sales, assault weapons and tougher background checks
    CeasefirePA wants one a month limit to stop straw purchases
    Man who shot dog very upset he had to shoot dog
    Dog survived
    Person from man's synagogue glad he had gun

Not the least balanced gun article I have seen. I guess you could call that trying. The pro gun sources were always individuals, the anti-gun souces were ususally groups. The gun owning people were not strong gun advocates. They made sure to mention multiple instances of permit holders breaking the law. This is what happens when a reporter uses actual people for one side of the story and so-called authorities for the other. The gun people come off poorly because they don't know the talking points.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links