There are permit holders, and then there are carriers?

This is a discussion on There are permit holders, and then there are carriers? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Probably all carrying but didn't tell you. :-)...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: There are permit holders, and then there are carriers?

Probably all carrying but didn't tell you. :-)

2. Remove Ads

I'm guilty of not carrying 100% of the time, but I know my home territory, and use a little common sense. I promise in the future to do better.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I just can't quite figure out how to ask the question 'if you don't carry, then why did you get your permit?' tactfully. I just don't understand.
    So...does anyone think that some folks get a carry permit just to remain on the right side of the law while doing what they've been used to all this time? Or do some not fully realize this means you can carry concealed with you/on you (most places)?
    I had no intention of carrying all the time when I got mine. I got it for two main reasons:
    First, I got mine because I believe in the right, and that was my way of voting with my $$ and not just my mouth, believing that if there were not enough CC'ers participating the law may be in danger of repeal; conversely, if there were enough CHLs issued, we would be recognized as a voting block big enough to not be crossed.
    Second, I thought the option to carry legally would not be a bad idea; like anyone else that will admit to it, I have carried at times of ... stress, shall we say, before the CHL was introduced in Texas. Now, I can't imagine walking around without my anchor

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Inspired by this thread, I posted a poll on another gun-centered bulletin board. The question was to be answered by those who have concealed carry permits. Those who vote are anonymous. The poll options were:

1. I carry on my person all the time;

2. I carry when I feel I need to;

3. I carry when it's not too much trouble;

4. I carry in my vehicle;

5. I usually leave my gun at home.

While the poll is still open for another week or so, there have already been over 200 responses, 77% of which said that they carry on their person all the time.

I don't know if it's permissible to post a link to another forum here. If it is, I will post the link so that you can see the results and the expressed opinions for yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Van55 View Post
    I don't know if it's permissible to post a link to another forum here. If it is, I will post the link so that you can see the results and the expressed opinions for yourselves.
    Nevermind, I figured out that I can post the same poll here!

A Thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Van55 View Post
    Nevermind, I figured out that I can post the same poll here!
    You may consider a "I carry any time/place that is legal/allowed."
    Or, you may consider that to be assumed and redundant .

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.

I found this thread to be extremely interesting and gave me much food for thought. Here is my present situation and why.

I got my CWFL in FL about three weeks ago. The reasons for getting my permit was:

1. I wanted to add to the group of permit holders to create a voting block and secure the rights to carry.
    2. I was afraid that in the near or not so near future they permit to carry would be taken away and I wanted to be grandfathered in.
    3. I feel that with the crime rate going up all the time the chances of being a victim of a crime is growing. I live in Panama City, FL and crime rate has always been low in this area. It is begining to rise exponentially in the last few years.

Do I carry all the time? NO - In fact I carry rarely on me, just in the car.
    Why? -

I don't feel competent enough to draw a gun in a public place with people around me. I am practicing drawing and different tactics on defense. But I don't want to put anyone in harms way if I feel the need to draw my gun. I am looking at taking some advance courses and I am talking to others that have been carrying for years to learn from them. I also don't have a gun I feel comfortable having on my person all the time. I am in the market for a new carry gun. Until all the above are satisfied I don't think I will be carrying all the time.
    "Government is not reason and it is not eloquence. It is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action."

George Washington

IMO the only reason to purchase a pistol is to carry it on you.

If you want something for home defense, get a rifle or shotgun.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by henryher View Post

I don't feel competent enough to draw a gun in a public place with people around me. I am practicing drawing and different tactics on defense. But I don't want to put anyone in harms way if I feel the need to draw my gun. I am looking at taking some advance courses and I am talking to others that have been carrying for years to learn from them. I also don't have a gun I feel comfortable having on my person all the time. I am in the market for a new carry gun. Until all the above are satisfied I don't think I will be carrying all the time.
    I don't feel qualified to be a victim, nor to watch another innocent become a victim, if there's any possibility that I can prevent it. I figure that - even if I'm not as good as I could be - I'm still better than inaction/compliance. Of course, everyone has to accept and work within their own comfort level, not mine, so YMMV

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.

Quote Originally Posted by henryher View Post
    I found this thread to be extremely interesting and gave me much food for thought. Here is my present situation and why.

I got my CWFL in FL about three weeks ago. The reasons for getting my permit was:

1. I wanted to add to the group of permit holders to create a voting block and secure the rights to carry.
    2. I was afraid that in the near or not so near future they permit to carry would be taken away and I wanted to be grandfathered in.
    3. I feel that with the crime rate going up all the time the chances of being a victim of a crime is growing. I live in Panama City, FL and crime rate has always been low in this area. It is begining to rise exponentially in the last few years.

Do I carry all the time? NO - In fact I carry rarely on me, just in the car.
    Why? -

Good for you then! You've taken a first step at least. The rest will come in due time for sure if you are following through with it all. I have no reason to force my beliefs upon you, and I, myself carried in vehicle long before 'on person' carry was legal here. Carrying 24/7 or whenever/wherever legal is just a simple part of my life now. I just simply can't think of any other way. It's not just the everyday media reports that confirm my commitment......it's also been some real life situations I've seen or experienced. You have my best wishes. Thanks for posting.

JRI
    I think someone who takes the trouble to get a permit and not carry 24/7 did so to stay within the law. There was an initial reason that prompted them to apply but not with 24/7 carry in mind. They simply wanted the option open to carry at those times they felt they needed to.
    Hopefully, his instincts will serve him well.

jfl
    To those who said "I carry when I'm going places where I might need it", I'll say what I repeat to my students:
    "The first rule of gunfight is: Don't be there"
    Or like I read on this forum:" If you think you should have your gun when you go someplace, you shouldn't be going there".
    Especially with illegal drugs being everywhere, I feel there is no "safe place".

I've had my permit for over 20 years, and I carried 6 years before; in the state I was in at that time it was only a misdemeanor ...
    Getting killed is one thing, but living after a loved one gets hurt or worse by a BG and not being to stop the attack is the worse I can think of ... I don't think I could stand it !
    Granted, we do not always carry in the house, except my wife, when she is alone, but we always have something within immediate reach.
    You are right it is a mindset.

Years ago, around 8:00 pm my wife got pulled over by FHP on I-95;
    the trooper asked her "Where is your gun".
    She said "I left it at home".
    He got upset and told her "You go to the trouble of getting a CCW, you are driving here at night, and your gun is at home; what good is it going to do if you need it ?"
    And he finished saying: "You are just like my wife"
    Finally he informed her that one of her taillight was out, and to get it fixed soon.

My job requires that I get recurrent training every year to practice emergencies that almost never happen ... almost ... the chances of needing my Glock going to get groceries at Publix is almost nil ... almost ...

Yes it can be an inconvenience, sometimes a pain in the butt, literally.
    But twice, having a gun helped me to get out of totally unexpected difficult situation (no, I didn't have to fire it but came very close ).

In short, I don't carry 24/7; in bed or in the shower it is not convenient but I have it within reach 24/7.
    I don't travel to states where I cannot carry.
    Yes, it is a mindset and a matter of principles ... I understand it is my choice, and not everybody's ... we are all different, fortunately !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    They probably are closet democrats!
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I know my Dad took the concealed carry class with me last April (2007), and received his permit the same day I did (not that we need em here). I carry every legal chance I get, but I don't think he carries himself. I don't know if it's because my anti-gun Mother doesn't want him to, or if his pistol is too heavy for EDC. I know he's not the gun collector I am, but he does have a nice collection. I don't think he's purchased a firearm in over 4 years.

I know my Mom and I had an argument about me carrying when we go out. I stood firmly on my ground and told her I would not leave my gun at home. I don't really talk to my Dad about carrying a concealed handgun because after all, it is a personal choice. I'm just glad my Dad shares the same views as me when it comes to armed self defense. My Mother on the other hand said she'd rather get killed by her attacker than defend herself.

That type of thinking I just can't understand.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links