Student Loans and Texas CHL Question.

This is a discussion on Student Loans and Texas CHL Question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just read this on another forum that you can not have a CHL if you have student loans. I graduated last year and still ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student Loans and Texas CHL Question.

I just read this on another forum that you can not have a CHL if you have student loans.

I graduated last year and still have a little under 10 thousand dollars in student loans that I owe. Even though I've been paying 1500 dollars a month on the amount.

I completed the CHL class and have sent in all the necessary information. So will they deny my application because I owe student loans? If so its my own fault. But I don't recall reading that before. Could someone please shed some light on this for me please.
    NRA Member

Talking Sounds like horse hockey

to me. Your student loans are (probably) federally guaranteed. So was my VA mortgage; Uncle Sugar didn't care! As long as I paid on time, he was happy.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkstafoo1 View Post
    I just read this on another forum that you can not have a CHL if you have student loans.
    I believe they won't approve your CHL if you are delinquent on your loans. You can call DPS and they will tell you for sure.
    -------------------------------------------
    "Lots of bullets means lots of chances to make use of expert marksmanship skills" --- Gecko45

"Some people ask: shoot to maim, or shoot to kill? I say, empty the chamber and let the good Lord decide." - Deputy Garcia (Reno 911)

Quote Originally Posted by rkhal View Post
    I believe they won't approve your CHL if you are delinquent on your loans. You can call DPS and they will tell you for sure.
    I think that is correct. There are many things that are now prohibited if you are behind on student loans but it you are current there should not be a problem.

Administrator
    I've never heard of this!
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Having a student loan does not disqualify you from a CHP. IIRC TX will not approve if you are in default on your student loan. I may be wrong, it has be awhile since I looked at the TX law on CHP's.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Never heard of any of it. I'm not quite done with my student loans and had no problems. Not delinquent though, nor in Texas.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkstafoo1 View Post

I graduated last year and still have a little under 10 thousand dollars in student loans that I owe. Even though I've been paying 1500 dollars a month on the amount.

I completed the CHL class and have sent in all the necessary information. So will they deny my application because I owe student loans? If so its my own fault. But I don't recall reading that before. Could someone please shed some light on this for me please.
    Only if you are finally found to be in default. If just having a student loan (or any loan for that matter) made one ineligible for something that would be counterproductive. Wow, $1500/month, that's pretty good..

This doesn't sound right. I've heard of drivers license being revoked on child support deliquency but not CHL. Something is not right about that.

Ummm ... no.
    Not in Ohio, anyway.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Most of the above is correct. If you are delinquent on student loans, child support, or taxes, Texas will not issue you a CHL.

If you are current on those bills, then you have nothing to worry about.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ds/chl/faq.htm
    A number of factors may disqualify you from obtaining a license, such as: felony convictions and some misdemeanor convictions, including charges that resulted in probation or deferred adjudication, pending criminal charges chemical or alcohol dependency, certain types of psychological diagnoses, protective or restraining orders, defaults on taxes, governmental fees, student loans or child support.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

For those that want the specific statute, here it is.
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf
    GC 411.172. Eligibility. (a) A person is eligibile for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:
    (12) has not been finally determined to be in default on a loan made under Chapter 57, Education Code;
    http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes....000057.00.htm

And Chapter 57 of the Education Code talks about guaranteed student loans from the government.

I would say you are good to go.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by cop2b View Post
    This doesn't sound right. I've heard of drivers license being revoked on child support deliquency but not CHL. Something is not right about that.
    We do a DMV check for each and every new customer that rents a vehicle from us. You would be surprised how many people men and women have suspended licenses for child support.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    i have not had any problems

Thanks a lot guys, that's good news to hear. I was a little worried about it.
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links