Transition complete

Transition complete

This is a discussion on Transition complete within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My first post a week or so ago mentioned that I had moved from a "may issue" to a "shall issue state". Well, the transition ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transition complete

My first post a week or so ago mentioned that I had moved from a "may issue" to a "shall issue state". Well, the transition is complete, as my temporay permit was received in the mail today. Official one should be here in a month, but the temp permit is valid.

Best news is that the permit doubles as a purchase permit, so now I don't have to worry about a super great deal getting away if I see one! I always get nervous when I am not documented for "emergency" purchases.

Seems like a fitting occasion for the dancing banana.

I figure I have about a month or more of research to decide what to carry, my current items are most likely all too large. (P89,G22)

I have been reading posts for ideas and am leaning towards a S&W airlight revolver in .38 for pocket carry, but still have to look into the long term stamina of it. I like to shoot, and intend to spend a LOT of range time with whatever I choose for a constant companion. I don't know how long it might last.

Thanks for the great site, I enjoy the research, and other reading here.

Congratulations kastiron! As to your carry weapon dilemma, that's a tough one. My very first handgun was a P89 - I carried it from time to time, usually in a shoulder rig. It CAN be done but as you already know ... it's not very comfy.

My current primary carry is a S&W 642 Airweight: .38spl +P capable and accurate enough that it's what I used to qualify for my carry permit. As far as long term, high volume durability I'd have to agree with you - steel would be a better choice. Hey, it's a decent defensive caliber, a good size for CCW and when I get that next .45 I can still use my 642 as a BUG. At least that's my current plan.

It's amazing what some folks here carry on a daily basis so don't give up on that G22 yet. If you want to carry it I'm sure someone here can offer suggestions as to how it can be done comfortably.
    Jack

Congratulations on your new carry permit. I hope it serves you well. I have carried over thrty years so let me respond to a couple of things you mentioned in your post.

I figure I have about a month or more of research to decide what to carry, my current items are most likely all too large. (P89,G22)
    You will find that a lot of guys/gals carry large guns concealed e.g. G22, 1911's, etc. and it is not really very difficult if you will do what is necessary to pull it off. e.g. good holster, good belt, necessary garment concessions. Carry a gun with which you are comfortable shooting and handling and, if that becomes your CCW - so be it.

I have been reading posts for ideas and am leaning towards a S&W airlight revolver in .38 for pocket carry, but still have to look into the long term stamina of it. I like to shoot, and intend to spend a LOT of range time with whatever I choose for a constant companion. I don't know how long it might last.
    J-frame S&W's are, indeed, great carry guns. As far as stamina is concerned, as long as you shoot appropriate ammo in it, they will last for thousands and thousands of round. However, IMHO, the S&W airlight revos are not meant to be used for hours and hours on the range.

But, above all do what works best for you and have a good, responsible, time doing it. Seems that the dancing banana is called for here too.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'll add another "congratulations" If men fail to exercise their rights, they typically end up loosing their rights.

When I started I bought a J frame and a Bersa .380 because I had to qualify on a revolver and an auto. I should have borrowed one. I love my J frame and it's a great gun. Took a while for me to get the hang of shooting it accurately in DA. I had to place my trigger finger differently (I use the bend in the first knuckle on the trigger instead of the pad). When I used the pad of my finger I always pulled shots to the right.

The Bersa functions perfectly, was cheap and remains the most accurate of my defensive handguns, however, I was able to buy a Kahr P9 that weights less, has a narrower profile, conceals better, etc. and yet its a 9mm. I don't recall you mentioning your weight, height, etc. That has a lot to do with what you feel comfortable concealing. I'm 5'7", 175 lbs and always wear tucked dress shirts and slacks or dockers. I never wear untucked T shirts or untucked button down shirts so concealing has been challenging. I find that the more casual you dress, the easier it is to conceal but as a Pastor and business professional, I have to dress a certain way all the time. The exception is when I go hunting, fishing, or to the range, then I can dress for those roles and it's much easier to conceal.

I added a Kel-Tec P3at for those times when I can't carry anything else but I'd rather use the Kahr.

You'll find what you like, buy it, and then somewhere down the road there's a good chance you'll buy something else. There's a thread on "evolution" i.e., what guys started out with and where they ended up.

Whatever you do, be safe. I find one of the more challenging aspects is how you have to take off the weapon when you go into different places. I DON'T like leaving my weapon in the car.

Yesterday I had to preach a funeral in St. Louis. I was carrying my Kahr P9 (easy to do under a suit coat and over coat). Well, to my surprise, when we pulled up to the cemetary I saw a sign restricting any concealed carry on the property. Well, I'm in the lead car with the funeral director and there was simply nothing I could do. Didn't like that but was caught off guard. So its those challenges that I find annoying.

I've tried a tuckable holster but to me the little clips on the belt are an absolute give away and I think they look odd to the sheeple when they see a clip and no corresponding "thing"...

I've even taken to concealing my knife so the clip doesn't show. I normally carry a knife IWB, SOB, but I've had several people commend on it as work so now I hook it IWB, low inside the front of my pants on a small loop. Totally conceals the knife and clip.

Anyway, you'll go through different stages and come up with what works good for you. They guys who advised you on a good gun belt and holster are right. I took their advise and it really does make a huge difference on how comfortable you feel and how secure the weapon is.

Be safe and welcome to the group!

Gideon

Merry Christmas All!

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek

You will find that a lot of guys/gals carry large guns concealed e.g. G22, 1911's, etc. and it is not really very difficult if you will do what is necessary to pull it off. e.g. good holster, good belt, necessary garment concessions. Carry a gun with which you are comfortable shooting and handling and, if that becomes your CCW - so be it.
    I suspected that I might find some acceptable way to carry the G22 until I decide that a smaller something is in order. I recently ordered an IWB crossbreed from Mr. Craighead. I have read good things about it and some of the testimonials appeared to fit my "build" perfectly. (6'-4" and a cheesburger from 325lbs) Worth a shot.
    In celebration of the day, the P89DC currently resides in a SOB holster with a "not too heavy" cover garment.

Already figuring things out, but my general work attire is jeans and a polo shirt. If I change things too drastically, I fear that the 10 or so co-workers in my office might suspect something.

Thanks for the congrats! Nice to be in a somewhat more free situation.

Assistant Administrator
    Great news!! Good to hear something positive.

Not much to add re what others said but I am a ''large and heavy'' - gun that is!! I have carried small and still would if needed, my son has his first carry piece, an Airweight - it suits him fine.

I would say tho - try and stay as large as you can be comfortable with - I say that much as anything because of issues of stability of platform, capacity even too. Small revo is OK but - I feel there is usually more control with something larger.

Obviously your dress habits will play a major part in influencing your options.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Since you normally wear jeans I'll warn you, I originally intended to carry my 642 in a pocket holster - no go with Levi's! I wear 550 "relaxed fit" or the Signature line Walmart now carries and the front pockets just aren't loose enough.

I carry IWB in a Lou Alessi Hard Shell Talon. Nice holster that uses a single kydex clip and attaches to the waistband underneath the belt. I've got a full rig on order with Eric Larsen (HBE Leatherworks) but still have a while to wait on that - yep, it's driving me nuts. LOL

Other than maybe going up a size on the polo shirts, you shouldn't have much trouble at all concealing whatever you want.
    Jack

my current items are most likely all too large. (P89,G22)
    Not at all! I carry my G22 daily in a Don Hume IWB holster. I occassionally carry the G21, but I don't really have an adequate holster for the extra weight of that one. Although, an office environment could be challenging. Maybe a smart carry? Or the cheaper alternative. Idon't recall the name right now. I'll post it if I can find it. It's a nylon version, $20.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Carry weapon

Check out the smith and wesson model 642 airweight. Shoots .38 special +P all day long and it comes out of a pocket holster like grease. Feed it Speer 135 grain Gold Dots. They will do the deed.

Definitely looking into the 642, or maybe the 640. I had my own private caliber debate this evening as I set a .357 round next to a .38special, next to a .40S&W, next to a 9x19. They all seemed to have qualities and drawbacks, and decided to base the decision on some other factor as they all seemed to appear up to the task at hand.

The very next step is obviously the gun shop/range. I have almost worn out the internet at this point. Research IS fun. (Engineer talking)

I know that that the Glocks have their detractors, but I can see some value to having something slightly smaller framed in the same design as a value. Cross-usage of holster, ammunition, and magazines being three positives. (There is technical guy again...)

I think it is going to be a fun weekend looking and handling!

Another model of interest is the 640. Not so that I can use the .357 constantly, but because of the steel frame. I am concerned about the frame strength after the several thousand rounds that I hope to run through it. Is there an estimated "lifespan" of a 642?

Well, I love my 642 - no doubt about that. Now that it's turned colder I kinda wish I'd bought the 640 for the magnum performance (and added durability). Sure they're heavier but with only five rounds that extra punch is reassuring... I have a K-frame in .357 that I carry at times but it's a bit large for me.
    Jack

XD9
    Even though my name says XD9 I have found that I carry my 642 about 90% of the time. It's just too easy to slide it into my pocket and be out the door. It works with most of my trousers and now that it's cold here in Utah, I find myself putting it in my coat pocket instead. Quicker access that way and if I take my coat off, it's easy to transfer to the pocket.

Congrats on the permit. You will enjoy the piece of mind it brings.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

You guys have just about sold a 642 in South Dakota... I also think that bigger is better, but also will have to do a lot of experimenting to be sure I can hide the "bigger". I think I will be inclined to carry "smaller" more often in the near future, until I can get the concealment issue down to a confident level.

I am just about to determine that the 642 must be strong enough for normal use, or there would be a LOT of negative reports around here. Unless everyone that has reported to own one refuses to practice with it. I don't see that as likely.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    The only reccomendation that I would make is,spend alot of time and do alot of research into what carry weapon would best suit your needs. Same for a holster system. If you do this it will save you a ton(!) of money. Good Luck and congrats in being one of the good guy's.--------

I practice as much as possible with my 642. I do use std. pressure Win. WB (walmart value packs) though. I'll normally shoot between 50 and 100 rounds each range trip and then I'll finish the day with one cylinder full (5 rounds) of my preferred carry round, currently Rem. Golden Saber 125gr. +P. I restrict the defensive ammo shooting due both to accelerated wear and higher cost of the ammo. One good thing, I've found that the WWB and Rem. GS have almost identical POA/POI in both my 642 and 66.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links