First time CCW tips? - Page 2

First time CCW tips?

This is a discussion on First time CCW tips? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And when paying for copies at the UPS Store, don't flip your cover shirt back to reach for your wallet (wanna guess how I know ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First time CCW tips?

And when paying for copies at the UPS Store, don't flip your cover shirt back to reach for your wallet (wanna guess how I know that?). On the positive side, when positioned at 4:00 to 4:30 you really can't see someone's weapon if they're directly facing you.
    Jack

After a while it will become a part of your routine and you will feel naked without it. The piece must be comfortable. I have a 1911 but I have to make too many arrangements when I carry it. However, with my small 38 snubnose it goes everywhere and I confident that it will help me if needed. I would advise against going big until you are comfortable.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Lead Moderator
    All go suggestions. I used the elbow on the gun to make sure it wass still in place when I first started carrying. In fact , I was even a bit paranoid when I first started. Just don't figit with it all the time , and give it some time. Now, it feels strange not to feel the weight of the gun.

One vote for Smartcarry... it's comfortable, extremely concealable, nearly impossible to bang against furniture, no cover garment required, and they discourage 'adjustments' in public :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I'd encourage you to wear it around your house from sunup to bedtime (unless you want to wear it to bed too ). That's really helping me while I wait for the CHL. You learn all sorts of tricks too - like bathroom issues!

Good luck.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Like Chris I also usualy leave my cover garment open, but I carry at the 4:30-5:00 position so thanks to my lovehandles I can open my cover garment up and stil not reveal my piece. Best tip I can give is buy a good belt, a "regular" belt may "feel" fine at 7:00a.m., but by 1:30-2:00p.m. the gun is getting a little floppy. If you can afford the $400 + gun you can afford the $50 belt.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I'll take a different approach to this one. May not get alot of agreement from the "guys".

I read a post from a guy who had CCW'd for years. He lived in an open carry state. This is where you can carry visibly even without a permit.

He decided to give it a shot. He was in public all day and only one person asked him about it. No one even seemed to notice it, or seemed to care. The guy who asked him about it was only curious, because he wasn't originally from this country and didn't know the gun laws.

Long story short, If your state allows it, open carry for a day or so. You'll realize that people don't care and don't notice. If they do, 99% of the time, they assume you're a cop or something.

Another guy went out with a white button down shirt and his 1911 in his waist. He didn't realize until the end of the day that his shirt was virtually see through and his gun was highly visible.

It's a paranoid (not in a negative way) reaction, that we all have. Just takes some time to get over. I got real nervous this past week...I was taking finals at school. Not against state law to carry on college campus, but is against college rules. I took it anyway. My full size Taurus auto. The clunking is definitely something I didn't expect. No one noticed, either.

People are too wrapped up in themselves to notice their surroundings. That's why they make such good targets for goblins. (BGs)
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

My tips:

Just try to be relaxed about the whole thing. People have already mentioned "fidgeting" giving you away, but worse is if you look and act nervously and *then* someone sees your weapon.

If you wear your wallet in your back pocket, switch to the non-dominant side. Less chance to flip up your shirt while drawing it. Same with keys in the front pocket if you carry at 3:00 or forward of that.

If you're really nervous, pocket carry with a pocket holster. Over a year carrying my P3AT now, nobody notices at all, even in jeans (just looks like a wallet).

Sometimes with the bathroom thing I think it is easier for a guy then a female. And I carry a Beretta 96 IWB most of the time . Great advise guy's I know I haven't been carrying that long and you learn little tricks here and there. merlin45kout

Good advide so far. I'll go ahead and add my .02 though...

The hugging tip is good, go low to force them high. Its weird at first, but you don't want to be made by your significant other's grandma at Christmas. Also, when talking casually with people, try to keep your strong side as far away as possible without looking weird (especially for hip carry). How I know this - talking with an old friend I hadn't seen in awhile (he knows I own guns, didn't know I carried them). As I was leaving, he patted me on the side and slapped right into my XD. He got a funny look on his face and I winked and said "its legal."

When you have to sit down for a "#2" in a public bathroom, unholster first, then drop the drawers. Put the gun on top of your pants that are around your ankles. That way, its hidden from any view and you can't forget it.

A good holster and belt is paramount. Spend the money for something that is adjustable to fit your body. A good holster will not move, and you won't have to fiddle with it.

And yes, I also felt very self conscious when I first starting packing. But the fact is, no one will notice unless you are doing something stupid. 99% of people are sheep and probably wouldn't notice you walking around with your "ahem" hanging out. So they'll never notice a well concealed gun.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I'm still trying to figure out how anybody "leaves" a sidearm in the bathroom.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Hey, I once left my cane in a public restroom - figure that one out!
    Jack

Lead Moderator
    I have heard a few reports of folks leaving firearms on top on toilet paper dispensers.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter
    I'm still trying to figure out how anybody "leaves" a sidearm in the bathroom.

AFS
    Hey I'm in the same boat. I personally think that would be impossible. Just passing along some good habits for those that may be a little more absent minded... An ounce of prevention (enough of that)

I open carry all the time at home in VA, no one there notices or can say anything. I've even done it at the REI in Fairfax, and if I can do it there, I can do it anywhere. That being said, I carry concealed since I'm out in Denver right now and its makes life easier since the preemption law's being challenged by Denver & Boulder (read loony liberals).

Either way, what everyone else has said is true: 95% of the population is more concerned with which episode of Seinfeld is rerunning tonight than whether or not you're packing heat. Just relax, be yourself, and don't fidget with it in public.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links