First time CCW tips?

This is a discussion on First time CCW tips? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like most other folks I was very self aware the first few time I ventured out into public. It got better till one day I ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First time CCW tips?

Like most other folks I was very self aware the first few time I ventured out into public. It got better till one day I was at a lunch place, and had to walk by two police officers more than once. I flashed back to the first time I was in public with my firearm. Nothing was said, and I don't think they looked me over more than any other customer in the place. That boosted my confidence I was doing every thing correct.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

2. Remove Ads

Lots of good advice here, quite a few of the tips bring chuckles as I remember all my own 'experiences' while getting used to concealed carry.

Being an ex-LEO, I still have the habit of studying people, and looking for a concealed weapon on someone is a way to pass idle moments while sitting in a mall somewhere while my wife makes everyone on her Christmas list happy. And she knows I do this, so if she catches me looking at another female, I have an excuse, LOL !!

Biggest thing that catches my attention quick is someone who constantly has to 'adjust' their carry side, either by pushing up under the holster, or by having to hitch up their pants a lot, especially on their carry side. A decent fitting pair of pants and a good belt/holster carry rig would prevent a lot of that.

The fact that I notice these things makes me wonder if others might also... like someone observng a place and the people in it before getting ready to commit a crime.

Bottom line: your personal body actions might be telegraphing more than you would think.

The good thing about my wallet is, for many years, I've never carried it in my pants pocket at all. Just found it irritating, so I always carried it in the breast pocket of whatever jacket I was wearing at the time. I can reach for my wallet w/o ever going near my piece.
    Not sure the live-in fiancee will go for it, though. Haven't mentioned it to her yet (she's NOT a shooter and that's a real bummer)

Mabe with time you can get her interested in it.merlin45kout

Cool Let 'Em know UP FRONT!

Quote Originally Posted by old4x4
    Not sure the live-in fiancee will go for it, though. Haven't mentioned it to her yet (she's NOT a shooter and that's a real bummer)
    I've known too many relationships to literally break up over a gun. Usually it winds up the girl is an ardent anti. So I wasn't taking any chances. 18 years ago, when I first met the woman I eventually married....our FIRST "date" was to church....and the second date was to the range. She knew right up front, what I was all about. For our first wedding anniversary, she got me a rifle. For our second, she got me a Dillon reloading machine. She's a keeper, alright.

I actually bought her a Beretta M84 .380, but she didn't like it. Kept complaining about accuracy and stopping power. She basically demanded MY Government Model 1911. So to keep the peace (and the piece) I had to buy a Colt Commander 45 for HER. Been bliss these last seventeen years.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin45k
    Mabe with time you can get her interested in it.merlin45kout
    You don't know R.-we've been together over 6 yrs and she went to the range with me once (prob. to shut me up) I even try to show her how to fire, where the safety is on my HK in the b'room etc. (she works 1st shift/I work 2nd) Not interested. Hope nothing happens-dumb 20lb housecat will be of NO use, but that's another story.

Assistant Administrator
    old - hey man, after six years you should have managed the ''conversion'' LOL! Oh well - cool is concealed!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You don't know R.-we've been together over 6 yrs and she went to the range with me once (prob. to shut me up) I even try to show her how to fire, where the safety is on my HK in the b'room etc. (she works 1st shift/I work 2nd) Not interested. Hope nothing happens-dumb 20lb housecat will be of NO use, but that's another story.
    Old is she anti-GUN or anti-Self Defense? Anti gun can be handled other ways: Stun device (they work, I've used them). Heck maybe even a self defense course. Martial arts. I love my Aikido. Awesome workout, too.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My tip would be; on the weekend, in the privacy of your own home, put on your gear and get comfortable with walking, sitting etc. This way you make mistakes in the home rather then possibly an embrassing or fatal mistake on the street. Everyone is different, some feel comfortable right off the bat while others vary from hours to weeks to obtain a suitable comfort level out in public.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Old is she anti-GUN or anti-Self Defense? Anti gun can be handled other ways: Stun device (they work, I've used them). Heck maybe even a self defense course. Martial arts. I love my Aikido. Awesome workout, too.
    She's not anti, just anti-self defense. Last night, she's like, "Nothing's going to happen" I suggested we cancel our health, homeowner's and car insurance, then. Said it was the same thing. She just shook her head. Can't get her to go to the gym, either, so the self defense thing is out. But, she's the best thing to ever happen to me. Frustrating

Unhappy 50-50

She's not anti, just anti-self defense. Last night, she's like, "Nothing's going to happen" I suggested we cancel our health, homeowner's and car insurance, then. Said it was the same thing. She just shook her head. Can't get her to go to the gym, either, so the self defense thing is out. But, she's the best thing to ever happen to me. Frustrating
    I sure understand that. My wife is the best, too. ~SIGH~ You know the definition of a "conservative?" It's a "liberal" that's been mugged. I really hope you're around 24/7. Because trauma teaches. It really does.

I suspect she really knows you're correct. She is simply denying the reality of life. It's a 50-50 proposition that she's right. Or you are.

As others have already said, don't sweat it if you do happen to print or do something that might divulge that you are carrying...the sheeple are oblivious, and sometimes even the "pros" don't notice it. I did a ride along with a large law enforcement agency in Indiana. I concealed a Taurus PT-99 under my tucked in Polo shirt and a light jacket, and three different officers either didn't notice, or just didn't say anything.

And sometimes you can do everything perfect and STILL get 'made'! I was at the IU library and was heading to the bathroom. Just as I got ready to open the door, a 40ish man pushed the door open to exit. My spidey-senses immediately told me that he was carrying. We were face to face, and he was wearing a thick, loosely fitting sweater that had an elastic waste, so there was no way I could tell by looking at him..I just *knew*. As we passed each other I turned and locked my eyes on the area behind his right hip. Sure enough I was able to see a slight bulge and a faint amount of printing as he walked away. He was probably LE , I'm guessing. Sheepdogs recognize other Sheepdogs!
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine
    Sure enough I was able to see a slight bulge and a faint amount of printing as he walked away. He was probably LE , I'm guessing. Sheepdogs recognize other Sheepdogs!
    Or we sheepdogs can spot a wolf lurking in our presence, either way its good to be aware of your surroundings.

thanks everyone...this is just the kind of advice a newbie needs...already wearing the gear around the house to get used to the feel while waiting on the permit. Excellent site!!!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Shucks - all been said! Not surprising tho - as we all have ''been there - done that" LOL!

Certainly, resist that feeling for constant ''adjustment'' and ''checking''. If your cover garments are good then no problems. And yeah - bending, reaching, all need a tad more thought. The ''newness'' will pass and then it will be the opposite - if no gun on board you will feel strange (or plumb nekkid!).

One other thing - I invariably carry with any garment/garments open at front - so worth considering action if windy. First - if there is something in carry side front pocket (bit of weight) it helps keep that side down (I add NAA BUG to do that!) - second, if windy then practice the ''elbow into the side'' approach - I find that you can be unnoticed just adding a small restraint pressure across piece with elbow - it stops shirt/jacket blowing aside - it also reassures you piece is still there!

Another simple ploy - walk if you want with thumb in pocket or even hand in pocket of pants - all helps keep cover without being obvious.

And yeah - the likelehood of being made by sheep is about zero - tho one of us could soon spot you if you do too much ''adjusting'' LOL

Good luck with it - carry all times you can - in a month or two you'll wonder why it ever felt awkward
    Very well put, love this place chipper1963

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links