First time CCW tips?

This is a discussion on First time CCW tips? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Practice, Practice, Practice!!...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First time CCW tips?

Practice, Practice, Practice!!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by old4x4
    Last night, she's like, "Nothing's going to happen"
    You might want to point out to her that there are 3000 ghosts walking around lower Manhattan and another hundred plus walking around the Pentagon and another bunch walking around a field in Pennsylvania who didn't think anything was going to happen on 9/11.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

little late to respond to this one, but after carrying for a couple weeks now after receiving my Michigan permit, I can honestly say that it just seems people DO NOT notice. Frankly, they just don't appear that observant. Follow the advice given before, leave it alone, sit down a bit slower and you'll be fine

Don't let this happen to you: I just got my CWL and was out with my wife in the local drug store and my wife thought it would be funny to show the clerk, who was a friend, I was carrying by lifting up my shirt. I could have died, I think I was more in shock than the clerk. Needless to say we had a long talk after that. Really have to watch who your with, being wife, kids, etc.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    Old ''OWB P95Carry'' here!!

Just come back from visiting son to celebrate grandchild's 1st birthday - huge bunch of folks, some I knew others not. Dressed up a bit (well, for me!) - but still had a top (thin) shirt on unbuttoned - still carrying usual SIG - NO problem!!

Son knows I carry but no one else would have been any the wiser!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Rick:
    A "long talk" would be understating it had I been in your situation. Hopefully you made it clear to her how much trouble that could cause. Closest my wife's come to something like that was patting my side to see if I was carrying. That was at my Mom and Step-Dad's house - they already knew I had my permit and carried so it was no big deal.
    Jack

She's never done it again, but it was really one of the unexpected things to be aware of. Kids could do it to you too.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

This is an excellent thread ! Keep it going .... :)

Well, about the same thing with me, very self conscious when I first wore it. I remember first time going out, must have spent 15 minutes in front of the mirror convincing myself that nothing showed. Took about two months of frequent wear to get out of that mode. Now I feel naked without it.
    Other than that, my choice of shirts has changed somewhat. Used to tuck them in all the time. Now I mostly wear out and buy them one size larger than I used to. Also have several IWB tuckables to I can wear shirt tucked in if it's more appropriate. If I go to a resturant or public place I always choose the seat where my gun side is away from the isle and out of view (since it tends to stick out more when seated). When my wife is with me she says she forgets I even have it on.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Assistant Administrator
    I think Rick one major thing to add to kid's (wive's!!) education on guns is - ''Daddy carries" (or "Mommy carries") - and that is ''our secret''.

Sure as heck - no kid or wife should blurt out this info just for effect - anywhere!! Not a choice move!
    Chris - P95

Administrative Ban Array PseudoFinn's Avatar
    New guy from Michigan here. I am price shopping for a Walther P99 right now, I live in Genesee Co. and plan to train and apply for the CPL immediately after purchasing the firearm. I have been reading forums for about two weeks now about concealed carry. I see a lot of discussion regarding IWB, even OWB, but hardly anyone speaks of shoulder holsters... is anyone here shoulder mounted? Is this a very uncomfortable carry option? It seems to me that this would be ideal. I generally wear untucked loose long sleve button up shirts, and almost always a jacket or coat. I'm not gigantic, but I have a couple of pounds on me and I think it would be very hard to spot a firearm here. So what's the deal? Does anyone carry this way?

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoFinn
    New guy from Michigan here. I am price shopping for a Walther P99 right now, I live in Genesee Co. and plan to train and apply for the CPL immediately after purchasing the firearm. I have been reading forums for about two weeks now about concealed carry. I see a lot of discussion regarding IWB, even OWB, but hardly anyone speaks of shoulder holsters... is anyone here shoulder mounted? Is this a very uncomfortable carry option? It seems to me that this would be ideal. I generally wear untucked loose long sleve button up shirts, and almost always a jacket or coat. I'm not gigantic, but I have a couple of pounds on me and I think it would be very hard to spot a firearm here. So what's the deal? Does anyone carry this way?
    Welcome! I carry shoulder holster only in wintertime since it's a bit tougher to hide here in Miami FL. Since the temps are dipping into the middle 40's tonight (Buuuuuuuurrrrrrrr!) and I have a buddy visiting from Virginia, I'll prolly wear my Andrews MONARCH rig tonight. http://www.andrewsleather.com I have the optional knife sheath attachment as well. Nothin' wrong with shoulder holsters, except they are gonna be slower than a strong side carry. Also I'm a bit bigger and so it's sometimes tough to get my arm across my GUT for the draw. But I'm working on losing weight.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Welcome to the Forum. Chris aka "P95Carry" is a fan of the Walther/ S&W P99 so he can probably give valuable input on aspects of that weapon. As Ex said, shoulder holsters are a bit slower on the draw than belt mounted holsters. Also, the really good ones (Alessi, Andrews, etc) can be quite pricey. I can see definite uses for them but at the moment cost overrides my need for one. I really do like Lou Alessi's Bodyguard (horizontal) and Fieldmaster (vertical) rigs though ... take a look at http://www.lasports.com for examples of Lou's work.
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Finn - welcome here

As Jack says I am quite liking of the 99 - mine is SW99 but - pretty much same gun!! Not perhaps a fan per se - I mean, I do not elect to carry it a whole lot but feel quite OK if I do.

I have no idea re prices right now on that but my usual comment on the gun is geared to two rather different aspects re manual of arms. The mag release sits at lower rear of trigger guard and, the decocker is upper rear left on slide - both are perfectly manageable with practice but, are not having much in common with other guns.

It is for me a very very good shooter - surprisingly so. I bought mine on a whim from a board member on THR but have not regretted it.

Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter
    I'm still trying to figure out how anybody "leaves" a sidearm in the bathroom.

AFS
    Or at a restarant table...ask Robert Blake ;)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links