First time CCW tips? - Page 5

First time CCW tips?

This is a discussion on First time CCW tips? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Excellent info and tips guys. I'm gonna go with the Andrews rig to shoulder carry. I'm afraid my gut and lovehandles bluge out just far ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: First time CCW tips?

Administrative Ban Array PseudoFinn's Avatar
    Excellent info and tips guys. I'm gonna go with the Andrews rig to shoulder carry. I'm afraid my gut and lovehandles bluge out just far enough as to cause major printing- the shouldler carry option appeals to me also because I do a decent amount of driving- entering and exiting the car a good deal. Even in the summer I'm wearing a jacket- I'm just hoping that I'm big enough so a P99's barrell won't print on the back of my jacket- so I am considering a vertical mount. The Andrews rig looks very nice though. As for the P99 goes, thanks for the heads up on the mag release- I've tried this release on, perhaps it was an HK? At anyrate, no problem using my thumb to dump the clip.

Question for P95- is that a compact model, your sw99?

Assistant Administrator
    Finn - AFAIK it is ''just'' the SW99.

It is already a very compact gun and I think the only version. One of the gunshop experts might be able to help on that one - tho Std Cat of S&W shows just this one as my pics.

I am not a fan of many compacts but have to say I like this gun immensely, but pretty it ain't!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Great thread! I've been carrying all of a week now so this is all valuable to me. I haven't had much trouble with fidgeting since I have normally carried in my business for quite a while.

Right now I'm carrying a S&W M36 in a OWB, but when I get my new holster from Kevin I hope to carry my 1911 IWB. I've tried this before, but the Bianchi IWB I have doesn't have any cant to it, and the butt of the gun sticks out.

Congratulations Larry, glad your permits came in. Sounds like your choices are pretty close to my own (S&W 642 and SA 1911).
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Looks like you are getting well set up Larry - but how about Sandy - is she fixed with anything yet?

I realize her priority will probably be lower but hope she too can adapt and manage it. I am still working on Bonnie to get her carrying more regularly.
    Chris - P95

Chris, looks like Sandy will be carrying my (now hers) KelTec P3AT as soon as we get her a suitable holster. The Nemesis pocket holster I used for it isn't going to work for her. She handles and shoots it quite well.

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhh - forgot about that KelTec - well that's good and sure eases concealment issues.

I am so pleased you guys have at last got that all sorted out.
    Chris - P95

P95, how many rounds does your sw99 hold? I believe a full size 99 carries 15 rounds of 9mm, or 10 40SW. I think you must have the compact version... that's what it looks like from the photos. Check this one out... It's the original Walther version... http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/Walth...Q/VIII/8-3.jpg
    I think she's pretty. You don't think so?

Anyway, I would like to check out a compact P99. I very much like the features of the P99, but I think the full size frame might be a bit big to conceal for me- I'd sure like to know how a compact feels to me. I don't really have big hands, but I have not held a compact that came close to fitting yet.

Decissions, decissions...

edit- yes.. looking at the photos again- it's is clear you're sporting a compact model.... hmmmm. How does it feel in your hands? Is it unbearably small?

Assistant Administrator
    Finn - ahah - well yes you are obviously dead right!!!! Funny, the pic in the Std S&W Cat looked like mine.

Anyways, that has straightened me out and thx!! Mine is a tight fit 10 capacity - and of course now comparing, can see that mine has a much smaller grip.

Not sure still if pretty - but yes in a way not so bad looking - but function is my bag anyways and in that department, love it!! I do think my size 99 would conceal very well for you - when I had it on for a coupla weeks a while back it was real easy to accomodate.
    Chris - P95

I betcha that the size of your 99 would be ideal for carry, however this is my first pistol- so I want something that I can enjoy at the range. I held a compact P2000 the other day which is supposed to be about the same size, and it just didn't feel good in my hands. I'm going to carry the P99 when I get it and decide then if I need a compact. Hopefully the P99 will be okay- I've heard a few people here have them and no realy concealment issues. Of course, considering recent revelations, I wonder if some of these are compact versions? I think I will have to wait and see. Like you said, function is what counts, and I very much like the P99- so I will start with the full size and go from there.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links