What if I'm asked?

This is a discussion on What if I'm asked? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, do a google search on "Little Lizzie", and read the article by John Connor. If that doesn't fit your personality, then simply reply that ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What if I'm asked?

whw
    First, do a google search on "Little Lizzie", and read the article by John Connor.

If that doesn't fit your personality, then simply reply that it is your insulin pump, and then thank them for pointing it out to everyone within earshot and reminding you of the fact that you have diabetes.

whw

2. Remove Ads

i open carry a lot and get asked and questioned by people...just be honest.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I am with the "it depends" camp. My sister-in-law, who is from California (hint) was visiting us last week. At dinner, at a restaurant, the subject came up. She knew I go shooting at the range, but it never occured that I carry all the time.

When she asked, I decided to trust her, and said, very quietly, since we were in a restaurant, that yes, I carry concealed all the time.

Her next question caused my wife and I to smile. "I see", she said, "but is it loaded?"

I explained to her the reasons for my CCW, and after I was done, I think I had her convinced as to how and why I wish to protect my family.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I

Her next question caused my wife and I to smile. "I see", she said, "but is it loaded?"
    OH MAN............

I'm glad I had already finished my Coke before I read that. That's almost hard to believe, but I believe it.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Very discretionary. You'll get a lot of answers to this threat with people who will say 'Never Tell!' and others who will say 'It depends.'

I'm more of the second camp. If you trust the person enough to tell them, then consider it. Quietly. Remind them that the question is not one appropriate to be asking in a public place because it is the business of yourself and nobody else.. unless you choose to make it someone else's business. I don't think its ever been asked. The people that know I carry, know I carry religiously. The ones that don't? They don't have a clue.
    I am of the "Never Tell" school of thought. I like your assessment, however. It is, and always should be, the permit holder's business and nobody else.

The only ones that know are the ones that I took the class with and a very small group of permit holders that I shoot with. Most of us can't carry in California and have nonresident permits that cover the majority of the country. Separately though, we spend about as much time on the road as we do at home because of our jobs. Even amongst ourselves, we don't talk about carrying. We will have conversations about firearms, ammo and holsters.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Hah...to that I'd say, you think I carry an unloaded brick inside my waistband everyday that I can just throw at someone?

I'm of the camp that no one needs to know. No one should ask and if they do, they won't find out.
    "I play for keeps."

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

I'm in the "It Depends..." category.

If asked by a stranger, my response would be a puzzled look and either completely ignore the question or design a remark along the path of "Heck no, why would I want to have a gun?"

If asked by a friend, especially those who I have encouraged to become responsible for SD, my answer would be, "You betcha!"

Stay armed...regardless...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have only told my one best friend, and threatened to shoot him if he told anyone. My family knows but it was a brief conversation, with which they were concerned, but changed the subject, and I'm sure its been forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    "Of course, don't you?"
    Thats my answer.I say it with a very serious look and it usually follows with them changing the subject or a Q&A .

VIP Member
    I am with the "it depends" camp. My sister-in-law, who is from California (hint) was visiting us last week. At dinner, at a restaurant, the subject came up. She knew I go shooting at the range, but it never occured that I carry all the time.

When she asked, I decided to trust her, and said, very quietly, since we were in a restaurant, that yes, I carry concealed all the time.

I explained to her the reasons for my CCW, and after I was done, I think I had her convinced as to how and why I wish to protect my family.
    I know you said she lives in CA, now I have to ask....Is she blonde??
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I'm also of the "it depends" mindset. If it is someone I know well and trust, I will discretely tell them I do. If it someone I don't know, or don't fully trust, I will ignore the question and let them wonder.
    Of course LEO are another set of circumstances. If I come into contact in an official capacity, I will tell them at the first opportunity.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You must admit that you are carrying to the Police, but other than that, think about their question...

If they are asking you whether you have a concealed weapon, the answer "Yes" is an impossibility as, once you answer, it is no longer concealed!

Do a google search--there are some VERY good answers to this question out there that you need to keep in your hip pocket, so to speak.

*You should go a lifetime without anyone ever knowing you are carrying concealed, IMO. If you are ever asked it should be a once-in-a-lifetime event for you...but the reason you carry applies here too: be prepared (with an answer). No need to be rude, appear threatening, scarey, etc., as this gives us a bad name with the ignorant.

it depends for me

I'm in the it depends category. My wife and my father know. My mother saw me with a holstered gun on the way to the range once, and since my dad is talking and researching a lot about getting a gun I'm assuming mom knows. Other than that, nobody knows.

Keep it to yourself if you can. No reason to tell.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Once this guy at work asked me really seriously if I had a gun on me. I stopped and said "what?". I thought I had been made and put on my dumb face. It turned out that he was just joking about needing one to deal with the customers! He sure did catch me off guard. Never show your hand and you'll be fine. I laughed to myself about it, after my heart stopped pounding. People really never have any idea...ever.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

My LEO cousin asked at a family get-together; he asked discreetly, and I realized I was printing badly, my holster had shifted rearward.
    I slid it back to where it belonged and the print disappeared.
    He asked why I was heeled at this benign get-together and I said, "When it's here, I know where it is. If it's in the truck, even locked in a case, I don't have that knowledge, but here" -- I tightened my arm in against my body, a gesture all cops recognize -- "I know where it is, and where it's not!"
    He saw the logic of my reasoning.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links