What if I'm asked?

What if I'm asked?

This is a discussion on What if I'm asked? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the things I worry about is how to respond if someone asks me if I'm carrying a gun. Say a friend who knows ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What if I'm asked?

One of the things I worry about is how to respond if someone asks me if I'm carrying a gun. Say a friend who knows I have a permit or someone who might happen to see the imprint of a gun if I'm not carrying properly (my fault, I know). How do I respond?

bae
    Just look at them in a puzzled fashion, and don't say a word.

"Of course, don't you?"
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Very discretionary. You'll get a lot of answers to this threat with people who will say 'Never Tell!' and others who will say 'It depends.'

I'm more of the second camp. If you trust the person enough to tell them, then consider it. Quietly. Remind them that the question is not one appropriate to be asking in a public place because it is the business of yourself and nobody else.. unless you choose to make it someone else's business. I don't think its ever been asked. The people that know I carry, know I carry religiously. The ones that don't? They don't have a clue.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Just do not lie to the police! And if someone says they are the police ask for their ID do not just accept a badge the ID card and badge go hand in hand.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

I was at Walmart last weekend, window shopping in the auto dept for waxes and polishes for my jeep. I walked over to the ammo case and priced out some ammo for my 23. A guy walks up next to me at the case, and asks if I own a gun. I look at him, look at the ammo case and ask "why?" He says "Well you're shopping for bullets." I replied "Oh! These are bullets? I was trying to figure out what they were!" He walked off. As I was in line at the front, he walked by me and asked if I carried out loud in front of about 10 people. I replied even louder... "No I don't want to buy drugs from you!" He disappeared really quick after that. Just to throw him off I walked out the garden center exit, and kept an eye out. He was sitting by the front door looking around inside. Maybe waiting for me. He never saw me leave.

A friend asked if I carried, after I mentioned to him I bought my 23. Since I trust him like a brother from another mother, I told him yes. Now when we go somewhere, he constantly tries to spot it under my shirt. He doesn't make a scene, but is just amazed that I can hide it so well.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Very discretionary. You'll get a lot of answers to this threat with people who will say 'Never Tell!' and others who will say 'It depends.'

I'm more of the second camp. If you trust the person enough to tell them, then consider it. Quietly. Remind them that the question is not one appropriate to be asking in a public place because it is the business of yourself and nobody else.. unless you choose to make it someone else's business. I don't think its ever been asked. The people that know I carry, know I carry religiously. The ones that don't? They don't have a clue.
    + 1
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Thanks for all the replies. I guess the best course of action is to shrug it off. Unless a cop is the one doing the asking.

VIP Member
    1st, welcome aboard!

2nd, it really is a personal decision on your part. Some here feel no reason to not tell, others like myself have had being too open backfire on them. I tell NOBODY anymore.

If someone does see you printing and ask if your carrying, it depends on who's doing the asking. If it's not a police officer my response would be "and who the hell are you"? But that's me, hopefully your less confrontational than that!

So really, it's a decision you'll have to make and then think up a couple responses that you're comfortable with.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Sometimes even the people who know I carry don't know when I am carrying.

I would never answer affirmatively to anyone but a family member or a cop doing his duty, or perhaps a friend who I know also has a chl.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    You'll get a lot of answers to this thread with people who will say 'Never Tell!' and others who will say 'It depends.
    I'm on the side of "never tell". DC members obviously know but I wont allow my name and face to be known here either. My wife and my 30yr old son know, that's all. If asked "do you carry a gun?" I answer the truth, "yes, there is a gun in my truck" (which there is). If I am hugged and given a strange look or asked what that is on my hip? I never tell and move on. I think its personal preference whether or not you tell or not. I personally like the element of surprise or on a "need to know" basis.

Last week my construction site was broken into and had to call the Sheriff. The Deputy arrived to fill out a report and take my statement and since it was official business, in Utah, I'm required to tell the LEO of my permit. I had somebody else in my office at the time so deferred telling the Deputy until the other person left my office. As soon as I told the Deputy I had a permit and explained that I waited so that we were alone, he understood and thanked me for notifying him of my permit.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

TOF
    Why? Are you? Then silence as you walk away.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Unless I trust the person, I like to give an answer that's not really a yes or a no, such as:

"Carry a gun? Why would I do that?"

"HA, me carry a gun? That's a good one."

etc... Not really lying - they'll make their own assumptions.

No one except my family and closest friends know I carry, and I like it that way.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Since I teach for the MN carry permit it is pretty obvious to most people that know me that I carry. If a total stranger out of the blue were to ask I might ask why are they asking in reply as it would be an unusual question given the circumstances. Friends already know as I said before.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

In the past 5 years, I have been asked mabye 4 or 5 times by people who had no business knowing whether I do or not. I don't even provide a response. I look at them like they have three heads and motor on.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links