Gas availability in TN & GA?

This is a discussion on Gas availability in TN & GA? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We're getting ready to head to Hilton Head, SC at the end of the week. Some one at work today mentioned that they had heard ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas availability in TN & GA?

We're getting ready to head to Hilton Head, SC at the end of the week. Some one at work today mentioned that they had heard that there was a gasoline availability problem in Tennessee and Georgia. I had also heard this, but that it seemed to be mostly in the Atlanta area.

So to the folks that live along the I-24, I-75 and I-16 corridors, is there any truth to that rumor?

Also, I plan to carrying while on this trip, anything tricky about the Tennessee, Georgia, and South Carolina laws that I need to know about?

If I understand correctly, in GA avoid public gatherings, schools, aircraft, jails, and stone mountain park.

In SC, I must notify if pulled over, avoid the typical government buildings, schools, churches, hospitals, places where its posted no carry, restaurants where alcohol is consumed (that sucks).
    In TN, avoid places where alcohol is consumed, schools, public parks, playgrounds, etc, and where posted.

Once I get out of Illinois, I'm pretty well covered across the entire southeastern US with my MO permit. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks

I live in Atlanta and have seen long lines for gas the past two days. Headed to HHI myself on Saturday.

rodeymo, have a good trip!

I can't speak much for northern Georgia, but SE Georgia and NE Flordia arn't having ANY of the gas issues I've heard about as well. Gas will be touch and go accross the south until the refineries shut down during Gustave get the stores back up a little more. I don't know of a web link to check out the stories we've been hearing, but one of us here might be a"Google Fu" master and point you in the right direction.

While carrying through Ga, the biggest thing is staying away from the areas you already posted....and....those peskey public gatherings and political rallys.
    I don't believe you'll have any of those issues just driving through though. Go to Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org to really look at the laws to be sure. There's a link to the 'plain language' laws gun owners need to know.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

My kids are in Nashville and they are not able to find gas easily. Here in Memphis, I have seen many places that are out of premium and mid grade.

I think this is another "manufactured shortage" like the one in the late 1970's.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

No issues on I75 from Kentucky line to Dalton, GA

Say Hi to Gregg Russell !!! We've been going to HHI for 25 years now.
    Was just down in July.

Fuel is getting scarce here in NC also.

It is spotty here in SC. Just start looking at 1/4 tank. Seems more often they are out of High test or Mid grade than Regular if they are out. They seem off and on and some places never have been out.

By the way, Diesel has been plentiful

I will PM you about a few things too...

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like I just need to be diligent about topping off the tank when we make our stops and to not let the tank get too empty.

I live off of 41 in Northwest GA. I get my gas near I75. Last Friday I had to go to three stations in order to find one that had gas.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

Topping off and mass hysteria are what's causing the local supply to run low so quickly. I'm here in North East GA and there has been gas lines and fights breaking out in gas stations around town. If you're traveling in a truck, why not throw a couple of full 5 gallon gas jugs in the bed, just in case you can't find gas for a stretch of highway when it becomes critical. Just my .02 as a safety measure, unless you're in a car...in which case like was mentioned earlier...start looking earlier than normal, like when you get down to 1/4 tank. Enjoy your trip!
    Condition 1
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelVision View Post
    Topping off and mass hysteria are what's causing the local supply to run low so quickly. I'm here in North East GA and there has been gas lines and fights breaking out in gas stations around town. If you're traveling in a truck, why not throw a couple of full 5 gallon gas jugs in the bed, just in case you can't find gas for a stretch of highway when it becomes critical. Just my .02 as a safety measure, unless you're in a car...in which case like was mentioned earlier...start looking earlier than normal, like when you get down to 1/4 tank. Enjoy your trip!
    After the remnants of Gustav rolled through we experienced something similar, but it was very short-lived. Thankfully.

I thought of bringing a couple cans along, but probably not the wisest thing when traveling in a mini-van. I could always strap them on top I suppose.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    If you're going through East Tennessee, it's likely you'll be in the Smokey Mountain National Park.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Not real close to 75, but where I'm at in NW GA, everywhere is only out of mid and premium. I use regular in my truck and my bike, so it doesn't affect me any.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

They are running out at a few stations in Atlanta. Here in NW Georgia - most have gas - but rumors of higher prices are once again contributng to a run on gas. Chattanooga is ok for the time being - but I have heard of stations running out in Nashville as of today. A good majority still do not have premium grades. I would think you would be ok.

upper East Tennessee, SE Kentucky, no problems, prices dropping like a rock. went to a wedding near the Great Smoky Mts. on Sat., filled up by the airport in Knoxville @ $3.39 per.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links