Nebraska reciprocity

This is a discussion on Nebraska reciprocity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious as to whether anyone here has insight into Nebraska and their reciprocity with other states. From what I can tell, they honor no ...

Thread: Nebraska reciprocity

Nebraska reciprocity

I'm curious as to whether anyone here has insight into Nebraska and their reciprocity with other states.

From what I can tell, they honor no other permits.

Does anyone know if there is any effort underway to rectify this?

I'm from Kansas and travel there periodically, so sure would like to see some neighborly love.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

2. Remove Ads

I am from Kansas also. From my understanding Nebraska honors no ones permit. I travel to Nebraska also and would like to be able to carry legally. Also, Nebraska does not have a preemption clause. Cities can and do ban the carry of concealed weapons (Beatrice, Omaha, Grand Island, & others) I had heard something about a bill in the legislature that was to address this, but I have heard nothing since.

VIP Member
    handgunlaw.us is a good resource for reciprocity questions. Gary keeps it as up to date as possible.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by luwarren View Post
    I had heard something about a bill in the legislature that was to address this, but I have heard nothing since.
    I was hoping someone in the know from NE would have some info like that.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    All the information you are looking for is on the Nebraska website.

003 NON-RESIDENTS

003.01 Non-residents of the state of Nebraska are not eligible to hold or apply for a Nebraska concealed handgun permit.

004 RECIPROCITY WITH OTHER STATES

004.01 Permits issued by other jurisdictions will not be honored in the state of
    Nebraska.

http://www.nsp.state.ne.us/Docs/Form...s_and_Regs.pdf

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I wonder what happened to the Nebraska I grew up in? A shotgun in the back window of every truck, windows down, keys in the ignition.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I wonder what happened to the Nebraska I grew up in? A shotgun in the back window of every truck, windows down, keys in the ignition.
    Your not lying! I grew up there too. I was just up there this month and I drove there I could legally carry in OK and KS, but once I got to the NE border to be legal I was told by a NE LEO the only way to have it in your vehicle is in plain sight so I just put it up in my passenger seat. The legislature up there isn't too bright! My family is friends with Sen. Jeanie Combs that introduced the bill, unfortunatly she served one term and got out of politics. She hated it! Too bad anyone else in the legislature body won't have the guts to push for reciprocity with other states. They claim they couldn't have passed the origional conceal bill with that language in the bill. It will take Nebraskans time to learn that licensed carry does indeed benefit them. Right now you have alot of people up there that do not understand it and think its a ticket back to the old west days. Even my own family members don't all get it. But in time hopefull it will pass. Also the clause for cities given the option to "opt out" was a stupid move. But again the law is young and hopefully will be adapted someday.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

NE is late to the game. I think they'll probably start moving soon, the people there are not anti-gun like Cali and NY.
    Start contacting your legislators and see if something's in the works, or ask them to start something.
    At least offer a non-resident permit for visitors.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

As I heard it, passing a CCH law in Nebraska was very difficult and the way it is written was the only way it could gain enough support to pass. It does seem strange that the last two states to pass some sort of CCH law (Nebraska & Kansas) are what would be considered rural, mid-western states.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

NE is one of the latest to even pass a shall-issue law. Give it time. They'll get reciprocity and preemption soon enough.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    As I heard it, passing a CCH law in Nebraska was very difficult and the way it is written was the only way it could gain enough support to pass. It does seem strange that the last two states to pass some sort of CCH law (Nebraska & Kansas) are what would be considered rural, mid-western states.

Hoss
    My take on this is that nationally, the anti's have been losing ground for some time, and I think they have re-doubled their efforts in the few states that are left to them. If this is true then places like Nebraska would feel the effects of outsiders trying to sway them. But this type of thing might not be real obvious unless you talked personally with key officials and they told you the truth of what is happening.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Links