I had my pd interview today.. In mass

This is a discussion on I had my pd interview today.. In mass within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a little info about MA License to Carry. This is how I perceive the laws application process. The local Town PD to issues ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here is a little info about MA License to Carry. This is how I perceive the laws application process.

The local Town PD to issues them, They can give you 1 of 3, 1 FID Card, #2- LTC Class B (small capacity) or a" all mighty" LTC Class A- (Lager Capacity). They give these out as them see fit, But here is the kicker, MA requires you to give a reason for issuance when applying for a Class A. This could lead you in the direction of a restriction on your licenses to carry. Where there are shades of grey in the Law. Such as "Target and Hunting only" Or "Work Purposes only" the gray area of the law would be questions like…Can carry loaded to work? Can I carry Loaded to the range? One PD my think it is ok to carry loaded to the range; the other PD could think it was not Ok...

I wanted to share with you my experience on applying for
    An unrestricted License to Carry-Class A in MA.

Here is what I went through, On Sept, 17 I turned 21 years old. I went to the Lunenburg PD with the LTC Application and what MASSGOV.COM stated that I would need for a LTC Class A. When I got to the PD they gave me there own application. This application that the PD gave me required 3 HAND PRINTED LETTERS of recommendation. I was kind of bummed, but what can you do? I got 4 hand printed letters. I called the PD this Monday and asked if I could turn in my Application, I was told that no one was available and to call back Tuesday at 0930am, or at 1300. I thought to my self this is going to be a project. So I called them Today (Tuesday) I called them on my way home from work. At 0920, the man I spoke with on the phone caught me off guard and said Come Right In, Right Now. I got to the PD at 10:00. The process was great; I could not have been treated better! I sat down with the Lieutenant of the Lunenburg PD who was unbelievable kind. We entered the Application into the computer, When I came down to the feared "Reason for issue" I was asked if I had a record, I stated that I have never had handcuffs on my wrist or had to pay a lower to defined my innocence. I was not asked anything after that. He simply plugged it away into the computer, "All Lawful Purposes" I scanned my right index finger and took a picture. I asked him if I should smile, he said "No, don’t look like a nut that is happy to buy Guns and Ammo," I thought humor was a hoot. I asked him why the hand written letters, the conversation went in the direction of, so the references do not need to be called and that license can be issued in a timely manner. He took me to the booking area where we conducted a complete set of digital fingerprints, I was told to expect my License to arrive at my house in 45 days, after 45 day it is not received to give them a call. I asked is it really 45 day or is that the longest time you want me to hold off be for calling the PD every day, He just smirked. Being 21 years old, for a week I did not plan on being greeted and treated in such a remarkable manner. +1 for the Lunenburg PD. So the wait is on!!! I have a good felling that my mail man and I will be good friends by the time this license arrives.
    I just thought I would just share my experience with every one.

-ROB-
    Be alert. Be safe…

I'm glad you had a good experience. Hopefully in the future you will not have to explain why you need to exercise a right...and while I disagree with the permit system in principle, all citizens (and legal aliens) who do not have a felony record or have a declaration of mental incompetence, who want to carry concealed should be issued a permit without question by the local PD. In other words, the PD does not determine who can exercise their rights and who cannot based on a whim.

Enjoy carrying.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Thank God for AZ! ;)

Congrats!

VIP Member
    Hmmm. Sounds good. If I ever have to move to MA, I'll ask for the LT.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by Demeo2169 View Post
    Here is a little info about MA License to Carry. This is how I perceive the laws application process.

The local Town PD to issues them, They can give you 1 of 3, 1 FID Card, #2- LTC Class B (small capacity) or a" all mighty" LTC Class A- (Lager Capacity). They give these out as them see fit, But here is the kicker, MA requires you to give a reason for issuance when applying for a Class A. This could lead you in the direction of a restriction on your licenses to carry. Where there are shades of grey in the Law. Such as "Target and Hunting only" Or "Work Purposes only" the gray area of the law would be questions like…Can carry loaded to work? Can I carry Loaded to the range? One PD my think it is ok to carry loaded to the range; the other PD could think it was not Ok...

Here is what I went through, On Sept, 17 I turned 21 years old. I went to the Lunenburg PD with the LTC Application and what MASSGOV.COM stated that I would need for a LTC Class A. When I got to the PD they gave me there own application. This application that the PD gave me required 3 HAND PRINTED LETTERS of recommendation. I was kind of bummed, but what can you do? I got 4 hand printed letters. I called the PD this Monday and asked if I could turn in my Application, I was told that no one was available and to call back Tuesday at 0930am, or at 1300. I thought to my self this is going to be a project. So I called them Today (Tuesday) I called them on my way home from work. At 0920, the man I spoke with on the phone caught me off guard and said Come Right In, Right Now. I got to the PD at 10:00. The process was great; I could not have been treated better! I sat down with the Lieutenant of the Lunenburg PD who was unbelievable kind. We entered the Application into the computer, When I came down to the feared "Reason for issue" I was asked if I had a record, I stated that I have never had handcuffs on my wrist or had to pay a lower to defined my innocence. I was not asked anything after that. He simply plugged it away into the computer, "All Lawful Purposes" I scanned my right index finger and took a picture. I asked him if I should smile, he said "No, don’t look like a nut that is happy to buy Guns and Ammo," I thought humor was a hoot. I asked him why the hand written letters, the conversation went in the direction of, so the references do not need to be called and that license can be issued in a timely manner. He took me to the booking area where we conducted a complete set of digital fingerprints, I was told to expect my License to arrive at my house in 45 days, after 45 day it is not received to give them a call. I asked is it really 45 day or is that the longest time you want me to hold off be for calling the PD every day, He just smirked. Being 21 years old, for a week I did not plan on being greeted and treated in such a remarkable manner. +1 for the Lunenburg PD. So the wait is on!!! I have a good felling that my mail man and I will be good friends by the time this license arrives.

-ROB-
    Be alert. Be safe…
    Are you in a small town?
    I doubt things would be that easy applying to the Boston Police.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by Rockk View Post
    Thank God for AZ! ;)

Congrats!
    I was thinking the same thing for Ohio. When I first got my permit in 2004, it was pretty much a headache because the Sheriff's department was new at the game. But all I had to do was to provide the information for a background investigation, take a CCW class, give the county $55, a picture and set of fingerprints and 4 days later, I had my permit. The renewal was even easier. Show up with new picture and $55 and 4 days later, my permit. I can carry any legal firearm concealed. The only restrictions are those set forth in the Ohio Revised Code. Of course, if there's an Obamarama, that all will most likely change. But for the time being, I'm a happy Divebum.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Congrats!

Yes, Lunenberg is a small town. Boston makes it as difficult as possible and it's a rare person (I do know some) who get an unrestricted LTC-A in that city.

------------

As to being thankful that folks live in other states . . .

- Once Demeo gets his unrestricted LTC-A, he can carry ANYWHERE in MA other than school property (K-college) by law. No restrictions on "places people congregate", shopping malls, sports facilities, public buildings, banks, police stations, restaurants, places that sell/serve alcohol, etc. like so many of your states!
    - Any place with security set up is out of bounds, but not by law (except Fed buildings - but that is true for all 50 states).

A very good friend (who lived in Boston and had an unrestricted LTC-A) moved to AZ and we've discussed the BS with having to leave his gun in the car to go into a public library, place that serves liquor, shopping malls, etc. It would drive me nuts to live that way. In MA, it may not always be easy to get, but once you get an unrestricted LTC-A, you are basically "good to go"!

Sounds very similar to the way it use to be in Mobile Alabama back in the early 80's, very friendly but they had some real stickler rules.

They required five letters of reference from people you had known for over five years, and you had to have a letter from your immediate supervisor at work authorizing you to carry at work. You also had to declare a reason, and list the sidearm you where going to carry, and had to qualify with that pistol.

Thank God they waved the application process because I use to be an LEO.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Congrats!

Yes, Lunenberg is a small town. Boston makes it as difficult as possible and it's a rare person (I do know some) who get an unrestricted LTC-A in that city.

Does Boston require a more detailed explanation as to your "justification" for needing unrestricted carry?
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Im in the next state up - what yo guys call the "Mass Suburbs" - New Hampshire where permits flow like water. I waited 104 days to get my Out Of State LTC from the State of Confusion. $100 and 104 days, not to mention that they sent my renewal back to me 3 times.
    Fortunately for me there is a guy named Cosmo (no kidding) who was more than helpful when I finally called to find out if I was on the "deny" list for some reason.
    After Cosmo got involved it was in my hands in 5 days.

Next year Im calling Cosmo!

Good to hear you were approved - too many of the folks down there are getting denied this year.

I live out in the western hills of Mass. recieved my class-A LTC over 20yrs ago. Fresh out of the Marines, didn't need rec. letters or safety course cert. knew the chief of PD. He gave me an "All lawful purpose" licence and told me to stay out of trouble. It all depends on your town in Mass. I never see any no weapons signs, when I first started reading on this forum about other states restrictions I thought 30.06 signs where banning hunting rifles. Mass. has many short comings but I can't remember the last time I had to leave my weapon in the car. Cling-On

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I live out in the western hills of Mass. recieved my class-A LTC over 20yrs ago. Fresh out of the Marines, didn't need rec. letters or safety course cert. knew the chief of PD. He gave me an "All lawful purpose" licence and told me to stay out of trouble. It all depends on your town in Mass. I never see any no weapons signs, when I first started reading on this forum about other states restrictions I thought 30.06 signs where banning hunting rifles. Mass. has many short comings but I can't remember the last time I had to leave my weapon in the car. Cling-On
    That's probably one good thing about states where the CCW is severely restricted-they see no need to pass laws banning carry in certain areas just for the few permit holders there are.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by Demeo2169 View Post

-ROB-
    Be alert. Be safe…
    Some of the posts that I have read on the internet about concealed carry have compared Massachusetts to Kalifornia. I see that the two states are not the same. It's good to hear about good experiences like this.

Congratulations on the success of the interview and I hope the wait doesn't drive you up a tree like it did us.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Does Boston require a more detailed explanation as to your "justification" for needing unrestricted carry?
    Gonzo
    Yes, Boston makes it extremely difficult. They want bank statements, cash deposit receipts, etc. to justify an unrestricted license. If you are politically connected, it's possible to get, but for most people it is essentially impossible to get a non-restricted license. The top dog in Boston PD is a Mumbles Menino political appointee and jumps to Mumbles tune. [Mumbles Menino is the Mayor . . . when he talks it sounds like he has a mouth full of marbles (not kidding), thus the nickname.]

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    That's probably one good thing about states where the CCW is severely restricted-they see no need to pass laws banning carry in certain areas just for the few permit holders there are.
    CCW laws in MA were created back in the 1910-20 range as I understand it (subject to correction). They were created to keep certain racial and ethnic groups unarmed, but otherwise didn't concern themselves with WHERE one could carry. States that have jumped on the CCW bandwagon since 1980, usually add a laundry list of prohibited places to their laws.

Probably until ~1990, many chiefs were like JAT40's first chief . . . "Here's your unrestricted permit, just don't screw up". Many of today's chiefs (at least in MA) probably never touched a gun until pinning the badge on, have been "properly indoctrinated" in the public schools that guns cause crime and thus wield their power of "suitability" accordingly.

Glad that you got cleared down there in Mass.

I never realized just how tough, expensive, time-consuming, etc... some states could be.

When I got my CCP here in Maine, (2 weeks ago.) It took 15 minutes. That includes driving time from my house in the country, 3 miles to the town office, get my permit, and drive home. I swear.

Oh yeah, it cost me $35 for the first 4 years, $20 for the next 4 years at renewal. AND I was never asked as to why I wanted it.

I love Maine even more now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links