Carrying into a gun store...what would you have done?

This is a discussion on Carrying into a gun store...what would you have done? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so the other day, went out to Home Depot. Down the street is Brand-X gun range (changed the name to protect the idiots) and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Ok, so the other day, went out to Home Depot. Down the street is Brand-X gun range (changed the name to protect the idiots) and outside is a sign with "No loaded weapons or magazines.". I carry my 23 with a Galco IWB. I took the mag out and locked it up in the car and walked to the front door. One of the employees was outside smoking a cigarette, and opened the door for me as I walked in.
    Now this place is a gun store/ pawn shop and range (not the best mix for quality) and I enter and walk over to the gun case to see what stuff the local hood rats have sold to them, and to take a look at Glock accessories.
    I'm in there for about 5 minutes when I ask one of the guys about 2 used Glock magazines, and then I saw a Duracoated Glock 23 that I thought my wife might like. So he goes into the routine "5-7 waiting period, background check" spiel. So I tell him, I have my CWP.
    Suddenly all hell breaks loose. Two guys are standing next to me, yelling "Can't you [Edited] read? Its clearly posted on the door 'No concealed weapons', Do you want to get [Edited] shot?" I turned and said "What sign?"
    Idiot #1 reaches for my arm to walk me over there. I dodged his grab and started to leave, not enjoying the situation at all. Idiot #2 stands in my way. He asks where my weapon is...and I reply "I'm leaving. Don't worry about it."
    I got past him and walked to the door with 3 of them right behind me spouting off different profanities and comments. So I turned around and said, "Its my 2nd Amendment right to carry, and I'm licensed to carry in the State of Florida, and your little BS signage doesn't mean anything. And besides that jackass right there (pointed out the idiot) opened the door for me standing in front of the sign, so how the hell am I supposed to read it?"
    I stepped thru the door, and I guess one of them called the police, because as I walked to my car, he pulled up behind me.
    I stopped at my door, with my hands in view, and he walked up to me and asked what happened. I told him I'm licensed and its in my wallet. He asked if I was carrying and where. I told him, so he just said to get my wallet. I showed him my DL and CWP, he asked to see my Glock to ensure it was unloaded, so I did. He then told me that I did no wrong, and according to State and City Ordinances that gun shop can't require a licensed person to not carry. So I thanked him, asked if there was anything else. He asked me if I would ever come back there again. (not telling me to not come back, but for my opinion), I told him if it was the last place in Florida to buy ammo, I would reload my own rounds. He laughed, shook my hand and said take care. He went inside to probably talk and hang out because it seemed like he knew the idiots.

So... That was my lovely experience the other day... kind of threw the rest of my day in a loop. Needless to say, I was really peeved.
    The sign was printed on a 8x11 piece of yellow paper, taped to a glass door surrounded by stickers and said

No Concealed Weapons
    No Photographs
    No Videotaping
    -Mgmt
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; September 24th, 2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Deleted 2 language workarounds.

Quote Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
    changed the name to protect the idiots
    Why not let other gun owners know who is adamately against their right to carry? I wouldn't want to give someone like that my business.

You lost me on your post. How does he know you have a pistol on you when you told him you have your permit?

Quote Originally Posted by pjw315 View Post
    You lost me on your post. How does he know you have a pistol on you when you told him you have your permit?
    he doesn't - jumped to conclusions

and to jump that far only demonstrates a really bad attitude toward gun ownership
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by pjw315 View Post
    He didn't have his handgun on him at the time... They just guessed and they guessed wrong; according to the OP.

I'd put a half page add in the newspaper and announce the fact of how you were treated at that place of business. I'd also file any charges I could against the owners for harassment, verbal abuse, assault, and every viable charge I could find against them, and file a formal complaint and statement with the local police. Then I would tell everyone in town about your ordeal and what happened. I might even put a billboard in the back of my pickup telling the story to the world. I've seen it done before. That's what I'd do.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by American Pit Bull View Post
    Why not let other gun owners know who is adamately against their right to carry? I wouldn't want to give someone like that my business.
    +1! Morons like that need to be exposed for all to see. When they start losing business (or go out of business) they can return to their communal bong for another hit.

You are constantly surrounded by idiots, sheeple and BG's. Try not to let these clowns get you down. Great response to the LEO re reloading! That's classic!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Ok, I'm confused also.

Quote Originally Posted by American Pit Bull View Post
    He didn't have his handgun on him at the time... They just guessed and they guessed wrong; according to the OP.
    It sounds to me as though he did have his Glock on, just unloaded. I'm definitely confused. Perhaps the OP can clarify? Everybody is trying to interpret what he posted, but only he actually knows. Everyone else (like me) is just guessing.

I carry my 23 with a Galco IWB. I took the mag out and locked it up in the car and walked to the front door.
    He asked if I was carrying and where. I told him, so he just said to get my wallet. I showed him my DL and CWP, he asked to see my Glock to ensure it was unloaded, so I did.

Gonzo

PS -
    The sign was printed on a 8x11 piece of yellow paper, taped to a glass door surrounded by stickers and said

No Concealed Weapons
    No Photographs
    No Videotaping
    -Mgmt
    Perhaps they should add: "No brains"
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

i think you absolutely should post the company's name and address; their behavior was beyond ridiculous and uncalled for. if that's how they're going to treat people, you should warn folks ahead of time. just my two cents.

What I wonder is if they actually drew there weapons.. Especially in a gunstore where in most cases I feel safer becasue.

1.. They owners carry Guns
    2. They let me carry mine.

I wouldn't go back if I'm going to get that kind of agrivation.. its not worth it.. I'd forsure tell the locals who it is! People who are quick to overreact especially when it invovles fire arms bother me, they dont deserve to own a gun shop.
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

What I would have done is not to have unloaded my weapon in the first place........as you mentioned, the sign has no legal standing in FL.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    What I would have done is not to have unloaded my weapon in the first place........as you mentioned, the sign has no legal standing in FL.
    Good point Dave! If they dont know the law thats there problem thats what lawyers are for..
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

Those are bad businessmen.

They deserve no business from decent people who understand the law.

Please tell us and everyone you know about their poor treatment of you that day. They need to lose their customers and go out of business because they are the kinds of morons who ultimately give the rest of the firearm owning public a bad name.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    This rant is worthless without your telling us what store.

Sorry, that's how it is

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Administrator
    Fla. members have a vested interest in knowing what store, do everyone a favor and do tell.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links