Do you carry at Church?

This is a discussion on Do you carry at Church? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is illegal to carry in church in GA....

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Do you carry at Church?

Distinguished Member
    It is illegal to carry in church in GA.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    It is illegal to carry in church in GA.
    only certain pistols and long guns...depending on the barrel length some guns are 100% legal to carry there
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

...interesting...can you cite the laws which apply, please?

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode...11&section=127

Do you carry at Church?

A couple years ago I was visiting a couple different churches. My wife and I were trying to decide which one we felt more comfortable at. I asked the pastor at one of them if it was ok to carry. She said she'd never been asked that question before. She looked a little uncomfortable. The topic of guns came up during casual conversation with the pastor at the other church after the service. I showed him a pic of my XDM and told him it was locked up in the car. His response was "why'd you leave it in the car?" He started asking people around us if they're "packin" today. All but one said the were. The other said he wasn't, but his wife was. I now attend that church every Sunday and have some good friends there that I shoot with.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckdriver View Post
    A couple years ago I was visiting a couple different churches. My wife and I were trying to decide which one we felt more comfortable at. I asked the pastor at one of them if it was ok to carry. She said she'd never been asked that question before. She looked a little uncomfortable. The topic of guns came up during casual conversation with the pastor at the other church after the service. I showed him a pic of my XDM and told him it was locked up in the car. His response was "why'd you leave it in the car?" He started asking people around us if they're "packin" today. All but one said the were. The other said he wasn't, but his wife was. I now attend that church every Sunday and have some good friends there that I shoot with.

Nice! Sounds like my Church. Pastors/Churches that don't prepare are in denial

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Yep, carry in church, have not talked to the priest about it. It is legal in Texas, no need to ask, or even bring it up. That being said our priest has his CHL, so I would imagine that if it was brought up he would say, good for you.

Of course if I go few miles away into AR, I can not because it is prohibited. When I visit family in MS, I do not because it is prohibited. Family in TN it is ok too.

I don't see churches as any different than any place else. If it is legal, do it, don't mention it and everything is fine.

What is your state law regarding this? I would not rely on anyones telling me, go and read it for yourself then you are certain what is legal.
    TEXAS DOESN'T PERMIT CARRY IN A CHURCH
    PC 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
    (b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
    (1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
    (2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;
    (3) on the premises of a correctional facility;
    (4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;
    (5) in an amusement park; or
    (6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
    R040607 likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Wow I thought Texas was a lot smarter than that. I never would have dreamed it illegal to carry after that church incident several years ago. I'm glad I live in Oklahoma.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Maybe go with an ankle holster? Should be OK except at maybe a Pentacostal church... OK, I couldn't resist: I met the Lord in such a church (good-natured ribbing intended only - such folk are my brothers and sisters in the Lord).
    I'm pentecostal and I think that's a funny remark. I carry my LCP in my front pocket LOL

THIS IS NOT TRUE...you stopped in the middle of the law that pertains to where we can and cannot carry...TEXAS DOES PERMIT CARRY IN A CHURCH...continue reading the law and tell us WHY...

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    PC 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
    (b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
    (1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
    (2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;
    (4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;
    (6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

...change is coming in Arkansas...maybe this year... Arkansas Senate OKs concealed weapons in church

...also in MS, there have been changes providing for concealed carry in church...with extra training... http://www.jacksonlewis.com/resources.php?NewsID=3972

...concealed carry laws are reflecting in a lot of states the awareness that gun free zones are really dangerous...we're winning a few battles...

...which church is that, please? would not want to drive to visit and then find it posted...you did mean it's legally posted with 30.06 signs, right?

Quote Originally Posted by R040607 View Post
    Our church in Texas, has filed 30.06. We are not allowed to carry concealed in the building.

That said, the security team on staff is made up of mostly trained LEO. There security plan is excellent. ...and it should be, because we have a very high-profile pastor.

Wrong, continue reading the law and you will find this...

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

If you read the entire section, you will find:

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

In short, if not posted, you are good to carry in a church in Texas.

...no fair doing other peoples' homework...

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunn217 View Post
    Wrong, continue reading the law and you will find this...

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...no fair doing other peoples' homework...
    Looks like Jdunn217 and I were working on our replies at the same time.

I forgot to answer the original question in my reply. Yes I carry in church (Ruger P345 in Crossbreed Supertuck), even when in front singing or playing bass guitar.

Links