Do you carry at Church?

This is a discussion on Do you carry at Church? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, but I still keep my mouth shut. The "wolves" wouldn't know what hit them, and from where. "It is better to remain silent and ...

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Do you carry at Church?

Yes, but I still keep my mouth shut. The "wolves" wouldn't know what hit them, and from where.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open the mouth and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

Do you carry at Church?

Of course I do. I feel more on alert at church than most other places I go. Galco Belly Band holster when I need to tuck it in and my Double Tap MKII when I don't. No ones the wiser but it wouldn't matter if they were cause I'm there to protect them not hurt them.

God Bless

Do you carry at Church?

Of course I do. I feel more on alert at church than most other places I go. Galco Belly Band holster when I need to tuck it in and my Double Tap MKII when I don't. No ones the wiser but it wouldn't matter if they were cause I'm there to protect them not hurt them.

God Bless

...I meant that the one who posted it wrong got his homework done for him by both of you...

...I also sing badly enough that I need to carry a .45...a P90...

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    Looks like Jdunn217 and I were working on our replies at the same time.

I forgot to answer the original question in my reply. Yes I carry in church (Ruger P345 in Crossbreed Supertuck), even when in front singing or playing bass guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...interesting...can you cite the laws which apply, please?

OCGA 16-11-127 on GeorgiaPacking.org

wrong code to be looking for your answer ;)

here you go OCGA 16-11-125.1 on GeorgiaPacking.org

(1) "Handgun" means a firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged by an action of an explosive where the length of the barrel, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed 12 inches; provided, however, that the term "handgun" shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter.
    (4) "Long gun" means a firearm with a barrel length of at least 18 inches and overall length of at least 26 inches designed or made and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or made to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed:

so NFA items, guns with 12 inch+ barrels, rifles with 16-17.999 inches are not "weapons" for the definition in 16-11-127
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

JRM=VP of georgiacarry.org and attorney

Firearm Discussion ? View topic - HB 26 GA Constitutional Carry Act of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Quote Originally Posted by seajay
    73 (4) 'Long gun' means a firearm with a barrel length of at least [s]18[/s] 16 inches and overall
    74 length of at least 26 inches designed or made and intended to be fired from the shoulder
    75 and designed or made to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed:
    See the change in barrel length above. Many rifles that have barrel lengths of 16'' would be excluded. This includes most .22s and a lot of AR 15s.
    Seajay,
    In this context, being "excluded" is a good thing. guns that are excluded are not regulated (except in schools). You can carry your 16" bbl rifle in government buildings, bars, and churches today. If the change is made that you suggest, you no longer will be able to do that.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

If I went I would.

...while something may not be a handgun...or a long gun...by these legal definitions and descriptions...do you believe that you can carry the items you feel are exempt from "handguns" and "long guns"...and get a judge to agree that they are not still "weapons"...and forbidden under the law?they are still firearms...and firearms are prohibited from carrying at church...see attached and scroll down to the AGs opinion...I think that covers it...seems like GA gun laws are about as clear as TX knife laws...or muddy water...whichever's clearer...

http://www.seajayservices.com/gfodl/gunlaw.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post

Yes I do believe that a judge will agree because the code section lays out the definitions and it doesnt met them...they are unregulated(except in school zones) wpords have meanings and while they are firearms they are not weapons as described in 16-11-127

pretty sure the webpage you linked is this guys Firearm Discussion ? Login it irks him to no end that they arent regulated lol
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

...the AG's opinion says "firearms"...the law was written "handguns" and "long guns"...and "weapons"I think they "oopsed"...there's the wiggle room, if any...have there been any test cases?

...I think the same guy's in what you and I both posted...whether he's a lawyer or layman, I can't tell...

Luke 22:36
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

In short, you bet. Bad guys don't care if you go to church or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...the AG's opinion says "firearms"...the law was written "handguns" and "long guns"...and "weapons"I think they "oopsed"...there's the wiggle room, if any...have there been any test cases?

...I think the same guy's in what you and I both posted...whether he's a lawyer or layman, I can't tell...

what year is the AG opinion from?? SB308 was passed in 2010. Sea Jay is a layman
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

...if this "engrossed " version is what passed: Bill Text: GA SB308 | 2009-2010 | Regular Session | Engrossed | LegiScan

...then y'all have made a lot of progress...they cleared up the weapon/firearm part by saying weapons or long gun and defining weapons as any handgun or missile firing device...(there goes your LAAWS and shoulder holster) BUT gives the parson the right to authorize some or all to carry at church...so it's much more likely to accomplish relaxed worship!!!

...AG's opinion http://www.georgiapacking.org/ga-ag/u96-22.htm was from 96' flush that!!!

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout

Do you carry at Church?

I carry. The pastor carries. The pastor's wife carries. It's one big happy family.

I've always carried at church and no problems. But, last Sunday was a little different. A friend's wife was stepping backwards and tripped over someone. I put my arm out and caught her. As she was pulling herself up she put her hand around my waist, and it landed right on my pistol. She just paused for a second, then moved her hand and touched my spare mags. Another pause, she got up, smiled, and didn't say a word.

I'm pretty sure that she knows my "secret." I have no idea what she or her husband think about firearms or concealed carry. They are pretty conservative so they are likely supportive. It will be interesting to see if they say anything to me or anyone else.

The funny thing is that I've gone more than a year, handled hugs, etc. and never had a problem. It was something unexpected that gave me away.

Links