Do you carry at Church?

This is a discussion on Do you carry at Church? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me, My Bible, and my Glock are in church every Sunday...

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Do you carry at Church?

Me, My Bible, and my Glock are in church every Sunday

2. Remove Ads

Illegal in PA. My church is connected to a school.

Colo does not prohibit carry in church (and based on the New Life Church in Colo Spgs incident I'll bet they're glad they didn't).

I carry there and I don't clear it w/the minister.

First time I carried, when I sat down, the gun butt 'klunked' against the back of the pew. My wife looked at me like WTH was that?
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Maybe go with an ankle holster? Should be OK except at maybe a Pentacostal church... OK, I couldn't resist: I met the Lord in such a church (good-natured ribbing intended only - such folk are my brothers and sisters in the Lord).
    Woops Sorry about that . That Made my Day . Of Course it in no way is intended to hurt anyone s feelings.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; September 25th, 2008 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

In Mass. we pack in church, but the church is not packed, (too many Libs. up here). Pastor is a great guy but like everyone else CC is far off the radar. So we always carry and never tell, all 3 of us packers that is.

I carry at church always. My pastor even allows me to use one of the Sunday School rooms to teach my CWP classes.

SC is one of the states that require you to get permission to carry there. Being LE, everyone assumed it anyway. Our church has no foyer and when you enter the front doors, you are in the sanctuary. My pastor mentioned one Sunday shortly after the Colorado church shooting that if someone came in and wanted to shoot up the place, he would probably be the first one shot since he is directly in line with the front door. I spoke up and said, "Don't worry, I've got your back." Since then he asks me regularly if I am carrying. he and his wife are even going to take my CWP class soon.

I have trained groups from 2 local churches for their CWP and have a few more lined up.A few of the "mega-churches" have organized protective teams of CWP holders and LE that are members and ask them to carry and each even gets a certain area of responsibility.
    Jaybm likes this.
    Owner/ Instructor
    Your Best Defense, LLC
    SC CWP training
    1st Aid & CPR training
    www.yourbestdefensesc.com

Back last December, on Monday morning following the previous Sunday's shootings at New Life Church in Colorado Springs, CO, my wife, even though I KNOW she already knew the answer, asked me IF I'd shoot someone who came into our church as that particular bad guy had done.

I'm, I guess, the de facto leader of our church's security team, so later in the day I was relating that conversation to my pastor at church. Before I could finish telling my story, he interrupted me by saying, "I'd certainly HOPE so"!

That's just ONE example of the kind of mutual understandings he and I have between us!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    VIRGINA - Places not allowed to carry concealed:
    Places of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held "without good and sufficient reason" (§18.2-283)

You better have a GOOD reason!!!!
    How 'bout, "My pastor told me to." He said, "Of COURSE you should carry: it's your DUTY to protect the innocent."

And Reformed Presbyterians can be rather strict about "fencing the table", too...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I carry at church. We have a rather large church so the sheriff's department is there directing traffic. Cops are all around. I don't think I have ever been made.

I also do a lot of volunteer work at the church. I help with the media (Powerpoint, music, etc.) I attend practices and service. Nobody thinks that I carry. I used to help out in the children's department. If they ever knew, I am sure I would be asked not to.

Our worship leader wears clothing that hints that he carries, but I have never been able to tell. Would be funny if he did.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Yes I do carry at synagogue, and no one but my wife knows. With instances of anti-semitic attacks throughout the years, in my opinion one can nver be to careful. I don't think I would tell the Rabbi; although he is very modern and new age, and would probably understand, I don't think it would a 100% positive reaction.

Better not to tell, and be safe, rather than sorry.

I know we have several men of the cloth on this forum that we've heard from before. Maybe they would like to chime in on this thread?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

If I went to a church, I would. There is no reason not to.

Carry in Church?

Absolutely do.
    Sometimes I go to the local range with my pastor.
    Since the shootings at New Life Church, (Not far from here) most of the men who carry in our church have formed a security team and are organizing similar to the New Life Church security plan. We are rather well staffed. Most on the team are LEO’s.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Quote Originally Posted by American Pit Bull View Post
    Why would you have to "clear it with your pastor", are you open carrying?
    Heres what the law states here in MI anyway...

One of the places listed that you can NOT carry:

"Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official allows concealed weapons"
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

I also play in church(drums)and also carry.I have not "cleared it"w/ the Pastor.I did however tell the worship leader(his wife)about the fact that I shoot.I figure I'll work my way up to the carrying issue,maybe.I will try to get his feelings on the issue first.I have high hopes though,because when I told her that I shoot,and not to make it widely known,because some get nervous,she said her husband would say"cool"and want to go some time.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

I carry in Church, it's legal in PA. I thought about it and made my decision. I didn't need to seek permission.

I've heard of Churches robbed before (cash collections) and others. I can't control the BG, but I can control myself.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links