Do you carry at Church?

This is a discussion on Do you carry at Church? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes. We do not go real regular to church but when we do, both my wife and I carry....

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Do you carry at Church?

Yes.

We do not go real regular to church but when we do, both my wife and I carry.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

BTT

This is an important thread.
    I tip my hat to you who carry in Christian churches and Jewish synagogs.
    The right to self defense goes back into The Old testament.

I carry at the Lutheran Church I attend also. Never asked permission and do not intend to ask. I think the Pastor would be ok with it though. Thank God for FL CCL.
    "Government is not reason and it is not eloquence. It is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action."

George Washington

Church is no different than any where else I go, I carry everywhere and my pastor says he is glad to know there are a few sheep dogs in the flock!! Our churches in this area are much smaller in number and therefore we know our pastor as a friend. When not in church he is hunting or fishing. He even preached a message from a deer stand on a dare and the newspaper showed up!! He is pro gun and pro Bible both of which agree with self protection!! Some of you speak like your pastor is a stranger to you, I couldn't imagine the Sheperd that didn't know hiw flock and vice versa, but things are different in different parts of the country!! Heck I even have a church gun and a church holster!! Use it as an excuse to buy a new gun!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

My husband and I both do. I have to purse carry though...as I don't have a holster that would work for me. But I'd rather have it in the purse than at home.

There are quite a few people that do carry at our church, which is pretty cool. We also have several active and retired LEO's that are party of the carrying crowd. No one mentions each other, it's not openly talked about, etc. The ones that know...we'd always smile and nod.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

One thing this brings to mind, thanks to Bluedaisy, how do you make sure you know each other without tipping your hand? I am wondering because if say your church is the next one to have a knucklehead come in with ill will and you go to defend yourself, how is the LEO across the room supposed to know you are a GG? I know a lot of that will come with being a member and knowing people, even if CCW is never a topic.

How have some who know each other CCW in church know or find out about each other? I'm interested in getting to know some in my church for nothing more than having 1 more thing in common with fellow members, but also to know if the SHTF at church that I can 1. count on backup if needed and 2, not get myself shot trying to protect myself or those who can't.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post
    My husband and I both do. I have to purse carry though...as I don't have a holster that would work for me. But I'd rather have it in the purse than at home.

There are quite a few people that do carry at our church, which is pretty cool. We also have several active and retired LEO's that are party of the carrying crowd. No one mentions each other, it's not openly talked about, etc. The ones that know...we'd always smile and nod.
    Hi bluedaisy,

I often see women everywhere, and especially at church, who lay their purses on the seat, and in time go off and leave them unattended.
    I was just wondering if you have that problem, and how you keep concentration and awareness that there is a gun in your purse? Although a church is safer to leave a purse on the seat than some other places, as you no doubt know it is not 100%.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

Regards,
    Jerry

I carry every Sunday and I play in the praise band.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Hi bluedaisy,

I often see women everywhere, and especially at church, who lay their purses on the seat, and in time go off and leave them unattended.
    I was just wondering if you have that problem, and how you keep concentration and awareness that there is a gun in your purse? Although a church is safer to leave a purse on the seat than some other places, as you no doubt know it is not 100%.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Because it's in my purse, I don't leave it...for a second. Even when we have a hand shaking thing during a song....I still have it on my shoulder. When it's not over my shoulder, it's on the floor squeezed in between my ankles. I am physically touching my purse at all times. It's a pain, I'd rather have it on my person and not have to be so mindful of that all the time. I play an instrument...and on the occasion I am playing it for church, I don't even bring the gun. Just can't take the chance. Thankfully I carry IWB the rest of the time, so I can't complain about 3 hours on a Sunday. If I were sloppy with it, I just wouldn't carry....there are too many little ones running around, not to mention mine. I can always count on my hubby to be packing, so I'm pretty pleased!
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

New Member Array revjdmclaughlin's Avatar
    A little over 4 years ago, I accepted the pastor ship of a small church in Anadarko Oklahoma. 2 weeks after accepting pastorship, Pastor Carol Daniels was killed in her small church while preparring for the morning. The pastors of all churches was advised we needed to carry or appoint someone. These are sad times. If the church wishes for no guns in the church it needs to be posted. Yes I would like to know who has guns since we do have young people in the church. But as long as they have a permit this is good enough for me. Yes, I am a Preacher with a gun.
    9MMare, aus71383, Ransom and 1 others like this.

I am a deacon at our church and my area of responsibility is head of security. We are a smaller church, approx 200+- every week for one service. Due to our size we have a strict release of liability policy for our security team. All who carry do so under their own volition in accordance with state law. As a smaller church we cannot condone nor condemn the team members right to carry. As a result they are responsible for their own actions with everything regarding firearms.

Now this does not prohibit us members spending many hours each month "hanging out" as "just the guys" running tactical drills (including response to active shooter scenarios) under the instruction of local law enforcement who also happen to be a part of the church. It basically comes down to semantics. We simply cannot afford to have an organized, armed security team at this time.

To answer your question though, yes I carry every Sunday, as do many other church members, both those a part of and those not involved in security. One of them is one of the pastors. All of our active officers on any given sunday are under cover. One always sits in the rear of the auditorium with a full view of the ENTIRE congregation. From that vantage point he has a clear shot to BOTH entrances into the auditorium WITH a safe backdrop. Another sits outside the auditorium and is tasked with guarding the children's area. From that vantage point he has a clear view of the ONLY entrance into the entire building, with a clear shot and safe backdrop. He also has numerous areas for cover that maintain the same view/backdrop towards the entrance. Our third officer is roaming and posts outside the building/parking lot. He is the only officer tasked with a duty to retreat to the doors of the building before engaging UNLESS a felony is being committed in his presence (regardless of its location on the property).

Protection of the children's ministry is the #1 priority in our policies and procedures. To get to them an assailant would have to follow a very specific route with no alternate routes available through three heavily armed men who receive monthly "time with the guys" beyond the average citizen. Additionally all three men would have cover and concealment, and each officer has access to an entrance into the atrium (outside both the auditorium and the children's area) from their respective areas of operation that will not put them in the line of fire from either of the other two guards.

We hope and pray it is never put to the test, and the thought of it actually being tested weighs heavily on our hearts.
    Jaybm, OD*, aus71383 and 1 others like this.

Our church is having a CCW class next month. With maybe 150 members there are currently 20 signed up for the class. The preacher and his wife are taking it as well Man I love Kentucky.

I carry at my church because there is no sign saying otherwise.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Yep I carry at church. No signs and the Pastor and his wife are both CCL holders. I would not be surprised if they carry in church also.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I would because noone would know

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links