Do you carry at Church?

This is a discussion on Do you carry at Church? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by yourbestdefense I carry at church always. My pastor even allows me to use one of the Sunday School rooms to teach my ...

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Do you carry at Church?

Quote Originally Posted by yourbestdefense View Post
    I carry at church always. My pastor even allows me to use one of the Sunday School rooms to teach my CWP classes.

SC is one of the states that require you to get permission to carry there. Being LE, everyone assumed it anyway. Our church has no foyer and when you enter the front doors, you are in the sanctuary. My pastor mentioned one Sunday shortly after the Colorado church shooting that if someone came in and wanted to shoot up the place, he would probably be the first one shot since he is directly in line with the front door. I spoke up and said, "Don't worry, I've got your back." Since then he asks me regularly if I am carrying. he and his wife are even going to take my CWP class soon.

I have trained groups from 2 local churches for their CWP and have a few more lined up.A few of the "mega-churches" have organized protective teams of CWP holders and LE that are members and ask them to carry and each even gets a certain area of responsibility.
    That's great ! If I recall isn't there an SCDNR range in Aiken ? Where do you shoot the qualifying rounds ?

Our security team isn't permitted to carry, my .38 stays in the car but I do know there are church members that do carry with or without the Pastor's approval. If push came to shove I'd have to beat the BG with my cane !
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I carry at church. My pastor knows and supports it.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I carry in church. My church (church of christ, non-denominational) is very pro-gun. My preacher, elder's, and deacon's all do as well. God be with the person who try's to steal the offering plate..
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

I carry at church and I know we have some off duty police officers who do as well.

Not yet...

But the winds of change are blowin' with Arkansas' new Congress...

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Yes, just like anywhere else, but always discreet and unbeknownst to those around me (those who know my LE background may suspect). Easy to do, because I wear a suit or sport coat.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

NRA Patron Member

I have carried in our church a few times. Why not all the time? Most of the time it's a matter of selection of clothes and though I could use that as an excuse which can be easily countered, the fact is, I know that there are a number of others there who are regular attenders and some of the usher staff and board members who carry regularly so I guess I can say that they've got it covered. I'm slowly but surly easing my wardrobe to cover Sunday wear as well so in time I may make a more regular practice out of it. No, I don't and few of the men wear suits but that would actually make it easier. Oh well....

Our church leadership is very pro-gun and I suspect that there are even among the pastoral staff some who carry but just don't make it a matter of public knowledge. Last year the church held an "unofficial" CHL class. Word of mouth only publicity. A number of members, even couples, attended the class and got their carry permits.
    Last edited by danwdooley; January 19th, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Yes I do.

I carry every Sunday. In Michigan you need to have permission from the church official. I asked my minister and he said "I would welcome you carrying". He and his wife just got there CPL's this year. I also know of at least two others in our church that carry at church.

As far as how I went about asking him, we were coming back from a men's retreat weekend where we had done some pistol, rifle, skeet and paintball shooting and I asked him if it would be OK for me to carry. My current minister is from Canada but is now a U.S. citizen. He's been in the U.S. about 20 years but still has family in Canada and realizes how Canada's laws do little or nothing to prevent crime, but cost way to much to enforce.

I wasn't carrying before our previous minister transferred but both of these ministers have always made sure that our congregation is aware of the dangers people in other countries face because that lack the freedom of religion that we have here in the U.S. I think they both realized that the second amendment is the right that protects all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by brandy_easttx View Post
    Yes...I do. Didnt clear it with the preacher, but his wife and I carry the same Galco purse. We compliment each others purse and just smile, every Sunday.
    Now that's funny!
    9MMare likes this.

In addition to psalm 144 you might also point to Luke 22:36

"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I've spent some time reading this thread and the comments within. Consequently, I sent the following email to my Pastor. Having no knowledge of where he stands, I'm waiting for either his reply by email, or for him to collar me at church on Sunday!!! I will readily admit to plagiarizing some of your comments. Hope that was okay.

EMAIL SENT

............Jim, these issues has been on my mind for some time, therefore I'm opening the discussion via email on the subject of "protection of the innocent and more" in our church services. I have several topics, in this arena to discuss.

Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

As long as you have a CWP, my church allows carry. Even encourages it!
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I carry every Sunday. In Michigan you need to have permission from the church official. I asked my minister and he said "I would welcome you carrying". He and his wife just got there CPL's this year. I also know of at least two others in our church that carry at church.
    Given the climate and the threats in our society in regards to violence, it might well be worth a sermon on the topic of protecting our families, being prepared, raising our children to be strong and capable individuals who can think for themselves, how being armed and raising our children to appreciate the value of such tools and preparations can have lasting positive effects. I can just see in an openly armed congregation such a minister offering up a few solid words of wisdom about the importance of such strength. Followed by a well-armed potluck barbeque on the back lawn of course.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm the Pastor and I carry all the time, including church services

In Ga. Church is specifically not allowed unless permission has been given, same as carrying in a courthouse is totally prohibited. Most gun shops don't allow carry but there is no law stating that you can't except the trespassing laws they can ask you to leave and you better go or no more legal carry for you. Give em a reason and chance to suspend your right and they will take you up on it. If I had to use my weapon in a church, if the question even came up. I expect that I would claim I ran outside and got it from my car since that is legal
    I generally just do my thing and not say anything either way. Isn't that the point of concealment?
    Funny, you can carry in a resturant that serves alcohol but not in church... strange world we live in.

My Kimber Ultra Carry II hears the Gospel every Sunday morning.
    BigCityChief likes this.
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Links