Florida and Utah non-resident permit questions

This is a discussion on Florida and Utah non-resident permit questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cuban11182 As far as I understand what everyone is saying. If I let my NC expire, I can get a FL CCW ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florida and Utah non-resident permit questions

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    As far as I understand what everyone is saying. If I let my NC expire, I can get a FL CCW and will not have an issue because Florida has reciprocity with NC..unless of course NC requires me to have their permit if I live in their state?
    Why would you have to let your NC permit to expire to get a FL permit? You can have both.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    As far as I understand what everyone is saying. If I let my NC expire, I can get a FL CCW and will not have an issue because Florida has reciprocity with NC..unless of course NC requires me to have their permit if I live in their state?
    I too am having a hard time understanding why anyone would allow their resident permit to expire and have a nonres permit? <click>

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I too am having a hard time understanding why anyone would allow their resident permit to expire and have a nonres permit? <click>

_
    According to Handgunlaw, there's only about 6 or 7 states that don't accept what I call 3rd party permits.Example:WV has reciprocity with Florida, any FL resident w/permit is OK in WV and same with WV resident permit holders in FL. But, you CANNOT carry(concealed anyways) in WV if you have a FL permit but are not a FL resident. Same w/the UT permit,someone who lives in NY w/a UT permit cannot carry in FL.
    However, again according to Handgunlaw, most states appear to accept certain permits no matter where you live. I kind of wonder if those states may adjust to make their residents have their own state permit in order to carry there.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

I was about to ask that question, which states require you to have a state permit if you reside there.

I was planning on getting stationed in Wilmington, NC...that fell through. Most likely I will be going to Philadelphia now. As soon as I leave NC and establish a domicile in PA, my NC permit will no longer be valid.

Technically, accoridng to my home of record for the Coast Guard, I am a resident of Florida. I wonder in I can get a resident CCW and just give them a copy of whatever form it is with my address in Hialeah?.?. Any ideas?

Depending on what state you get moved to, you may have to get that states carry permit. Some states require you obtain their permit if you are living there. Other states will only accept resident permits. To find more info try:

Handgunlaw.us
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

I would like to mention that the site handgunlaw.us is a privately owned and operated website. I have actually found information on this site that was not quite accurate. They may make every attempt to be current but CCW laws can change in a heartbeat. Make sure you check each states official website for the current CCW laws or write the Attorney General of the state in question. Remember, as a responisble permit holder, it is your responsibility to know the law of each state if you plan to carry outside of your permit area. FYI

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I would like to mention that the site handgunlaw.us is a privately owned and operated website. I have actually found information on this site that was not quite accurate. They may make every attempt to be current but CCW laws can change in a heartbeat. Make sure you check each states official website for the current CCW laws or write the Attorney General of the state in question. Remember, as a responisble permit holder, it is your responsibility to know the law of each state if you plan to carry outside of your permit area. FYI

_

Here's another one: Carry Concealed

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mikie View Post
    Here's another one: Carry Concealed

I have also found errors with this site too. Thanks for posting.

_

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    just commented:

Many Canadian firearm owners were getting this permit, so they could carry while in the US. There was an Instructor running an excellent course and who submitted all the required paperwork to make it legal. Sadly I missed his class and am now unable to get the permit as the Utah office refuses all new applications, despite not having a legal reason to do so. As an out of state resident I could fully understand local taxpayers not wanting to subsidize my permit application and would accept the requirement of a higher fee. Also the permit validity could be tied to the firearm licence issued by the home state to the person and if their home state pulled their permit or barred them from having a gun it would invalidate the Utah permit. In the case of Canadians, all firearms owner need a licence, are vetted by the RCMP and required to take a course before getting a licence. Why do I want a CCW permit? As a tourist travelling through the US I know that the bad guys will zero in on me and my family as they know we won’t be armed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links