I may become a boardmember on my HOA...disclose that I carry?

This is a discussion on I may become a boardmember on my HOA...disclose that I carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am pissed with a lot thats going on with our HOA and wanna put my $ where my is and get on the board ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I may become a boardmember on my HOA...disclose that I carry?

I am pissed with a lot thats going on with our HOA and wanna put my $ where my is and get on the board to get stuff done. Now, with that comes the potential of being harassed by homeowners in the neighborhood when i do something they do not like. There are stories of other members being verbally assaulted and in some cases, it came close to physical...so i am wondering if i should disclose the nature of what i carry when they start interviewing me for the position....so they are aware that this board member is always armed.

I would be posting notices...and all the other fun stuff HOA's do, so of course there is the potential of ish going down.

also, it probably is NOT a good idea to OC when i am doing hoa business...

i'd like to hear what everyone has to say...
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Senior Moderator
    I see absolutely no reason to disclose your lawful concealed carry, nor any even remotely conceivable benefit from doing so.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

It's none of their business. You don't want to give away that kind of information. You tell one person and then soon the whole neighborhood will know. If that happens, well, there goes your tactical advantage of surprise.

oh god no. Don't tell anyone in the HOA. My wife was on ours(pres, secretary) for a couple years...it's a lot of people thinking they're important getting nothing done(it's all volounteer time so nobody wants to do anything).

Always carry, never tell. You'd probably be kicked out if they found out anyways, that's just how these people are.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    oh god no. Don't tell anyone in the HOA. My wife was on ours(pres, secretary) for a couple years...it's a lot of people thinking they're important getting nothing done(it's all volounteer time so nobody wants to do anything).

Always carry, never tell. You'd probably be kicked out if they found out anyways, that's just how these people are.
    i was thinking that is may pose an issue if i did..they may thinks its "unsafe" and pick some moron instead. thanks for answering my question.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Stay under the radar...what is to be gained?

Rick

I say no. Some of our HOA members found out that I do as the walked up on me working on my duelly in the driveway. It was hot and I had my 1911 conspicously tucked in the pocket of my shorts. The conversation was short and they left w/out saying anything. I forgot about the pistol and was scratching my head to why they beat feet so quickly. I reached into my pocket for my keys and realized I still had my pistol jammed in my pocket. The reason for the visit wasn't due to a complaint btw, more of a social thing, but they do not just amble up the drive anymore

We handle our complaints differently. The Complaint is formally presented via the mail in a specific format. The compaint is outlined, along with a copy of the HOA agreement/bylaws, and a set date in which to comply. Also, enclosed is an outlined set of measures in place that the HOA will take if the infraction isn't complied with such as fines, ect.

It is difficult really for our HOA to do much as our dues pretty much cover only the landscaping costs for the entrance and the park we have. We can levy against the property but until the property sell the HOA will not collect. We have resorted to small claims as the collection for fines is much faster. We are not an super restictive HOA and never intend to be. Keep your grass cut/landscaped, no parking in the yard/street, 20 MPH speed limit, no carports, outbuildings have to be apporved by the board and must match the home.

We do not have very excitable people in the hood anymore. We had some people who thought that they were being singled out and met each meeting w/ the HOA as an outright attack Instead of using force the police were called. They eventually sold and moved.

As the homeowner they signed the agreement of the HOA when they purchased the property and are bound by the terms. They are subject to fines and possible lawsuits for noncompliance. Some act like they never knew about the bylaws, and others need to be reminded that they are over the line. Sometimes a simple "Hey neighbor!" will take care of it. Enforcing the bylaws by force isn't the HOA job, let the courts take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    There are stories of other members being verbally assaulted and in some cases, it came close to physical...
    Not your doing. How's this different than your going to a restaurant and having a situation blow sideways? It's why you carry. A meeting with a HOA group of people isn't a protected zone. Your life is still just as important when with a bunch of those folks.

Now, being a HOA, I suppose it's entirely possible that, if they knew your status as a gun-toter, many would likely freak. Being a HOA, I suppose it would be possible that attempts would be made to push the bylaws to crack down on people like you. If anything, you'd be in a better position than ever to help thwart such stupidity.

All things considered: not their business; not any different than carrying anywhere else.

Data point: I own a condo (separate house, but shared grounds, strangely). We're a group of twelve and have a HOA. I've openly carried a few dozen times, including several times around the families with kids. The only thing I've noticed, since then, is that the parents keep the kids a bit closer and disallow them running roughshod over the property, as compared to before. But, there is nothing in the bylaws, nothing in the law to disallow, and no reason why I shouldn't carry other than presumed sensibilities of others. I'm almost always concealed, but I'm also clearly the guy with firearms in the group. It's no biggie, at least in my situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am a HOA President and I never tell.

At one meeting a woman stood up and quite outraged said,"There are some people living here who have handguns!"

No one on our HOA knows that I Carry. I had to stop construction of a add on that they did not get approved last week and the people are know for not being so nice. We only have 330 houses so not a big deal most of the time. Just a few drunks in the pool at 3 A.M..

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Not unless you are trying to intimidate someone........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    I see absolutely no reason to disclose your lawful concealed carry, nor any even remotely conceivable benefit from doing so.

Matt
    I 100% agree with Matt.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Use the Bill Clintons gays in the military policy. "Don't ask, don't tell". It is none of their business if you carry. If someone ask I wouldn't answer them.
    Some things are best left alone, things like, how much do you make, what religion are you, what political party do you belong to, and do you carry?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Keep the information to yourself. They are sheeple remember.

Another reason being is that since you are going to be HoA you are more likely to get harassed by people who are not HoA. Like me. I hate HOA people and do my best to make their lives worse in every way possible. Only difference between me and someone else is that I would never be violent... But I'll close elevator doors on you and make midnight dog walk sessions on your lawn.

thanks guys.

only 1 or 2 of my neighbors know i carry...i tend to OC when in the garage or walking to the mailbox.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links