Optomotrist visits and CCW

This is a discussion on Optomotrist visits and CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back form an Optomotrist visit and as I was driving, having had my eyes dialated I started to think. What would happen ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optomotrist visits and CCW

Optomotrist visits and CCW

I just got back form an Optomotrist visit and as I was driving, having had my eyes dialated I started to think. What would happen if it was my time to throw down> WOuld I be at a legal disadvantage? I mean I am sure I am spelling things wrong adn I think I chose the right area to post this, which reinforces my question.

Does the fact that I am, right now, very sensative to light and can't half see anything affect my legal standings if I had to shoot to defend. I have a feeling that if I hit an innocent I'd be in trouble anyway, and tis would help to make that case. But suppose it is my time and I draw and fire and hit only my intended target, the BG, but don't kill him and somehow he finds out I was "under medical care" is there anything that can come out of it in a negative way?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Well you should bring good sunglasses. Don't wear the cheap cardboard ones they give you unless it's your choosen form of birth control. I would guess you night vision would be ok though.

I'm more concerned about you driving in this condition!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I'm more concerned about you driving in this condition!

Ditto

Biker

I hate having my eyes dilated.

First off, no way I'm driving like that. Usually I'm sitting over in the passenger seat with my head down and my eyes closed till I get home and get inside.

A good set of wraparound sunglasses helps A LOT though.

And is it just me, or is it always extra bright and sunny the day of your appointment?

As for it being used against you, of course it is. Everything the prosecutor could possibly use against you he will.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

I'm surprised the doctor let you drive with your eyes that dilated most don't. At least a strong pair of sunglasses he should have supplied or you could have had someone drive you back home. Are you that nervous about meeting up with a BG from point A to point B that a cell phone call to 911 and locked car doors couldn't solve? I think it would have been foolish to attempt using your weapon with poor vision.
    Just my opinion.

I agree that it always seems brighter on that day, Murphy has a sick sense of humor.

I do have a good pair of sunglasses and am driving fine, as long as the road has those nifty road buttons I can make it home .

What is real fun is trying to play dominoes like this, did that once a few years ago, lost real bad too.

I know a prosecutor will try to use everything against me, but what about a jury? I know jury's can be finicky and unpredictable sometimes, even in TX would there be much of an issue there?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

VIP Member
    Many opthalmologists (I don't know if optometrists are permitted to dilate the eyes, I guess that depends on the state), keep some throw away plastic sun glasses and give these to patients as they leave. They don't help all that much, but you can see well enough to drive (with difficulty). I have never ever been cautioned to not drive after an eye exam. If you can see well enough to drive you can see well enough to defend yourself.

In fact, you might notice that the refraction portion of your exam (the part that tests how well you see) is done (can be done) with your eyes dilated.

So, you actually see well enough at least in the darkened doc's office. Outside, it is another matter, but I don't think the impairment is sufficient to make a real case case that you couldn't see well enough to know that you needed to defend--especially if you wore any form of sun glass to cut out glare.

Keep in mind most of these defensive situations are really up close and personal; you don't need to see much.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Keep in mind most of these defensive situations are really up close and personal; you don't need to see much.
    Very good point. It also helps a little that my first defensive move is I drive a mini van. Not too many car jackers out there looking for a '98 Toyota Sienna driven by a bald man with a beard and a squinty look in his eyes

-Paco

Personally, I've been through a lot of treatment that whacks me out worse than dilation of the eyes...various forms of chemo (oral and IV), high dosage of steroids, etc. At times I'm competent to drive, but at the same time not sharp enough to be a very good decision maker or shooter in a self-defense scenario--I don't carry if I don't think I'm up to it.

Driving and combat are very different challenges. Having experienced just a little bit of the latter many years ago in a faraway place, I know that the intensity and level of confusion is such that you better have your A-game on tap when it happens.

If there's any question that you're "...not up to it...", I say put the gun away before you hurt or kill the wrong people!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Honestly, whether you can see or not should have nothing to do with it. If you need to shoot to defend yourself and do so, the only thing that should come into play is if it was a legit/allowable shoot.

That said, if you miss and hit someone or something other than your intended target, then, yes, you can bet that it will be a major factor in any court case.

But, of course, any detail can be used to strengthen a case if need be.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member

The squinty eyes will get them every time

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    . Not too many car jackers out there looking for a '98 Toyota Sienna driven by a bald man with a beard and a squinty look in his eyes
    The squinty eyes will get them every time. Do it right and the BGs will think you are one of them and stay away.

TOF
    I have never heard or read that a Blind or Limited Vision person is prohibited from protecting ones self.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Were you legal to drive, if yes, then that's your answer.

I would be more worried about the possibility of missing the BG and hitting something/someone innocent.
    Thanks,
    Rock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links